Minigirl

Gold Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by Minigirl

1. Thank you! Yes, I intend to use a channel and now that I think of it, I may be able to put a channel across the bottom of the roof too. Thanks for the link Carrie, now if they would just do that on a big Victorian, I'd be in business!
  2. Are there any US dollhouse manufacturers that don't use an open back design? Open back equals dust collector. I like the way the British houses are made with a door. I am working on the Greenleaf Orchid and have decided how I will close the back but any suggestions on how to close the roof? So far the only thing I have thought of is a piece of plexi or polycarbonate hinged to the roof but then would it open and stay open when in use. haven't quite figured out the mechanics of the shingles being in the way.
  3. We must be 2 peas in a pod, Jeannine. I was up till 4 perusing AIM and printed off several tutorials. I guess It's Holly's fault this time since she suggested I take a look. It couldn't possibly be just me thinking about mini's all the time. Naah, perish the thought!
  4. You can tint your spackle or mud with a bit of acrylic paint too. The artist tubes from the craft store have less moisture and make a great way to tint. I have been reading and watching video on this. Hope it helps.
  5. Minigirl

Exterior done

How pretty! I love rose, pinks and gray together. Those are the colors I chose for my Orchid!
  6. I have always done my best work at night when the house was quiet and my mind can concentrate on just one thing without interruption. So these days I may be an empty nester but during the day, even the dog usually wants something. Nights are still the best creative time. Karin, I have tons of pins relating to dollhouses and miniatures. Yep, pinning is one of the last things I do before I go to sleep. There are lots of Rabbit Holes and I just don't know which way to turn. So many things to see and so little time!
  7. Minigirl

IMG-2237.JPG

Such a pretty porch!!! It's beautiful!!!
  8. Hi Eli, I too am new and just cracked open the Orchid also! Welcome!
  9. Jennine, we must be twins! I taught ceramics too. I was a certified Duncan instructor and still have a mid size kiln and lots of molds. I know it will take a long time. I have been working for several months and still need tons of this, that plus more furniture to fill the house. Thanks everyone for the welcome!
  10. Mareike, I purchased used books to save a few dollars. Both are British writers. "How to Make Your Dolls' house Special" by Beryl Armstrong. This book has a lot of inexpensive how to information in it, if you are building on a budget. "A Beginners' Guide to the Dolls' House Hobby" revised and expanded edition by Jean Nisbett is also good for newbies. I learned several things from each book so it was well worth the few dollars I spent.
  11. Thank you Jodi. I want you to know that it's partially your fault that I was up all night. You had the nerve to post your blog address in your signature and Holly had to show me some of her cool work too. Off I went to look at your things which led me to other blogs etc. I have so much to learn and I have tons of questions! I haven't even ventured into the threads on this site yet. Guess I may be up all night tonight too!
  12. Minigirl

IMG-2140.JPG

Oh, I like not adding the dormer windows. I may have to try that. This is very pretty. Any photos with it furnished?
  13. Oh I most definitely went down the rabbit hole! Thanks for the welcome and the information.
  14. Hello everyone, I joined last month and finally have gotten my feet wet to add my first post! I have been crafting all of my life. I grew up doing needlework, ceramics and macrame. As an adult I continued with some needlework, sewing, ceramics, papercrafts, rubber stamping and scrapbooking. This past year I have been intrigued with miniatures and started working with polymer clay again. That led to making other types of miniatures and of course that led to miniature furniture. Now that I have made things to go into a dollhouse, I started shopping for an actual dollhouse. I decided to start small to see if I enjoy the process of building. The Greenleaf Corona Concepts Orchid arrived at my door about a month ago. I opened it, read the instructions, looked at all of the pieces and quickly boxed it back up. It was a bit daunting so, I went back to polymer clay, dollhouse furniture building and pinning lots of miniatures, dollhouses etc. on Pinterest. Next, I joined this site, watched more dollhouse videos, ordered a few dollhouse books and finally decided to break out the Orchid kit. I have some of the sanding finished and dry fitted my floors and walls. Now, how best to assemble these pieces and keep them up and square while the glue dries..... Yep I'm off to the FAQs next and hope to find some tips and pics there. I think I'll start blogging about my new world of miniatures next. It's a great way to house all of my research as I go and give me a place to store my data and pics during the build. You know, just in case this becomes a passion! I have already scoped out dollhouse museums in my area and a miniature show. I hope to visit them over the next few months. I look forward to see you all around Greenleaf! Oh, one quick question. If I were to subscribe to one miniature related magazine etc. Which would you recommend?