Minigirl

Gold Member
  • Last visited

Posts posted by Minigirl

1. On 6/20/2019, 1:24:19, SaraChimera said:

As a beginner I am using scrapbook paper. I like the more thick cardstock types so far, and am lucky to have a recycled craft store with stacks of the stuff. But even buying a book of pages that have the style you are looking for might work :)

I have been a paper crafter for over a decade and have stacks and stacks of paper/card stock. I mean tons but most of the patterns are too large or the stack is too small. I have found most good dollhouse papers are heavy. Hobby lobby dollhouse papers are very thin and need to be clear coated before use. Some internet sellers print their papers on inkjet machines so read up before you buy.

2. On 4/20/2018, 7:07:18, Shy Spirit said:

How is the Tea Room progressing, Paula?  Did you find the wallpaper you wanted?

I absolutely prime/seal my walls with flat white latex paint - unless I wish to stain and varnish the wood of the kit.  I like to do two or three coats, sanding in between.  I'm sure one or two coats is just as good.  Not only does the paint prevent acids/tannins leaching through, but you end up using less wallpaper paste - no thirsty wood surface drinking it all up!  Painting the wood helps to smooth over any tiny imperfections.  On top of all that, I believe the white surface below the wallpaper allows the colours to appear truer.  Depends on the thickness of the paper, I suppose, but to me, it always looks much brighter and cleaner somehow.

Well, when I couldn't figure out and decide on wiring so I put the house away and just made miniatures for my house and etsy. I was overwhelmed about what I didn't know and continued to read up. Then I recently visited a dollhouse museum and started on assembly of my house. The exterior walls are up and primed with exterior window casings and sills attached. Making my own staircase and changing interior walls.

3. On 6/2/2019, 12:28:51, Sable said:

If you use the boards you must not use any water based glue. I use small dabs of construction adhesive; Liquid Nails.

Great idea and way better than using hot glue as the instructions say to do.

I am working on the same house and have chosen to add batten boards like Stickyfingers did with hers. It reminds me of Cape May!

• Like 1
  4. I am also a paper crafter and have an older cricut machine. The newer versions do even more!!! Yes they can do everything in the above posts. These tools can cut tiny bags, hat boxes, shirt boxes, veggie boxes, Tiny banners, letters for signage, chipboard trim and shingles. If used properly they do cut clean and precise. They cut thin chipboard such as a cereal box easily as well as vinyl. The self adhesive vinyl works well when cutting small letters to place on plain metal buckets etc. If you design your own furniture, you can cut your patterns from chipboard with these machines too. That includes cutting lightweight fabrics for curtains, cushions, bedspreads etc.  If you take precise measurements, you can cut your wallpaper to the exact rectangle. They make great full size birthday banners and such too. I know I have missed some things since this was just off the top of my head. They are quite useful if you are willing to take the time to learn how to use them. There is a learning curve but they are easier to use than my old version. Watch lots of you tube videos and then decide.

• Like 2
  5. I have tried all sorts of instructions for starting a gallery that I have found here and none of it works. When I click my profile or edit profile, there is not a way to start a gallery. I also went to gallery, member galleries and do not see a way to add anything from there either. I have just spent 90minutes reading and still no luck! This is not intuitive!

• Like 1
    • Agree 1
  6. That's a very pretty bed! This is so much fun when people post these questions. It's like phone a friend on whatever game show that is. The posts on the Camille just wouldn't work in that house. I am working with the same house right now. Love what you chose and thanks for showing me another great craftsmen.

7. Has anyone ordered any of the wallpaper assortments from Miniatures.com? Have any feedback on the quality of their papers in general? The prices are great for those assortments. 18 sheets for $10. Starting miniatures from scratch is pricey so I really like their assortment price tag.

8. Yes, there are a number of beetles lumped into the wood worm category and the holes are made after the larvae hatch and as they tunnel there way out. Funny the piece of furniture I have with the damage is a British piece. Anyway, with all that damage I wouldn't try and keep it. That's a hefty infestation and yes it could have happened at any time.

• Like 1
  9. 11 hours ago, Gisele's Gallery said:

I'm looking forward to seeing your pieces. So good to know that my watercolors serve as inspiration! :cheer:

Hey Giselle, I posted info on my etsy here in the thread for shops and such. If you ever do a mini wc relating to English tea time or a Italianate renaissance revival garden scene, I would love to know. Good luck around the forum!

• Like 1
  10. You have wood worms. I would also check any other wood in the vicinity of where this kit was stored. The wood can be treated with pesticides but I don't think it is worth it. Vinegar won't phase them nor will freezing. They overwinter in wood quite easily. If there are still egg casings left they will just hatch out later.

I had an antique that had been treated and assured there wouldn't be a problem and years later they were boring in the furniture again!

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  11. Actually those can stoves are still popular except they would burn the dollhouse down. 

Candle stove is metal and actually dollhouse size . You can put a tea light candle in them. They advertise them as keeping a mug warm but someone in Asia used a dollhouse with doll dishes and cooks mini meals on one. Needless to say those videos went viral. It looks good till this giant hand comes into frame.