• Dollhouse Building Experience One
  • Dollhouse Preference The Traditional Greenleaf
  • Online Community Building Projects No
  • Digital Camera Yes
  • Real Name Wendy Frye
  • Country United States
  1. Beacon Hill Haunted Mansion Exterior

From the album Beacon Hill Haunted Mansion

I finished the exterior!  I put bricks around the porch foundation but I ran out.  Not sure if I will do the rest of the foundation with more bricks or just leave it. I'm kind of anxious to do more on the interior at this point.  LOL!
  2. Beacon Hill Haunted Mansion Exterior

Thank you all for your complements!
  3. Beacon Hill Haunted Mansion bay side

For the siding and shingles, I used a Kona color stain, then I coated with crackle medium and then I used a chalk paint (Folk Art, Sheepskin)  For the siding, I also used distress ink on the edges prior to gluing and I didn't care if the siding broke because that fit in with the aging.  For the trim, I used acrylic paint as the base, then the crackle medium and then a top coat of either the brown acrylic paint or the light-colored chalk paint.  For the roof shingles, after the stain, I watered down the chalk paint and let it drip over the shingles after I glued them to the roof.  Then I wiped it with a dry cloth.  After that, I lifted (bent upwards) some of the shingles.  If they broke, all the better, as I wanted that to be the case here and there.  I also ran some sand paper over the shingles to distress them a little more.  Drying time in between coats was long though!  Crackle medium takes hours to fully dry and if you don't wait, the top coat of paint sticks and drags.  In some cases, that was ok, but overall, it's better to wait until it dries before doing the top coat.  Thanks for the question!
  4. Beacon Hill exterior haunted mansion

Thank you!
  5. Beacon Hill Cellar Window Question - Picture?

Yes, the picture clarified for me too! Thank you, Carin!
  6. Beacon Hill Haunted Mansion Roof

Roof progress. 
  7. Beacon Hill Haunted Mansion Porch

Close-up of porch with a doll I purchased on Etsy from a lady in  the UK.  She named her Doris Dittany.  She is just adorable, I think anyway.
  8. Beacon Hill Haunted Mansion Stone Foyer

Close-u[ first floor foyer
  9. Beacon Hill Haunted Mansion Bathroom

I used scrapbook paper for marble-looking floor.
  10. Beacon Hill Haunted Mansion interior 3rd fl

This is the 3rd floor interior, sitting room and hallway.  I used the large popcycle stix for the floor and I plan to do a skinny stix wainscoat in the sitting room.
  11. From the album Beacon Hill Haunted Mansion

I to make a stucco type wall with air dry clay.  I also stained some match stix wood pieces for the look of the old-fashioned lath and plaster walls.  I may still do the rest of this room with the same technique, although you may notice the other walls have a different finish (wallpaper and stained stucco to muddy it up.
  12. Beacon Hill Haunted Mansion Interior

A look at the three interior floors.  Used the same cardboard technique described in the chimney photo on the foyer floor.
  13. Beacon Hill Stone Chimney Close-up

A close-up of the chimney on my haunted mansion.  Did finish with air dry clay (distressed white color with Ranger distress liquid spray in Walnut).  Stone made using cardboard packaging material torn into pieces.  Glued with "Quick Grab" glue (I used this glue on everything except my wallpaper, for which I used "Yes" paste and another similar paste, I forget the name of but I think "Grandma" is in the name) onto the clay.  Didn't wait for clay to dry first.  The next day, I dry-brushed over with acrylic paints (grays, browns, white).  After that I painted over with mod podge to seal and harden.  Then I hit with my Tim Holtz distress inks (walnut and peeled paint - brown and green)