Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    One
  • Real Name
    Wendy Frye
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. my minnie me

Beacon Hill Haunted Mansion

This is my first dollhouse and it is still in progress. I am doing the Beacon Hill as a "haunted house".
  2. For the siding and shingles, I used a Kona color stain, then I coated with crackle medium and then I used a chalk paint (Folk Art, Sheepskin) For the siding, I also used distress ink on the edges prior to gluing and I didn't care if the siding broke because that fit in with the aging. For the trim, I used acrylic paint as the base, then the crackle medium and then a top coat of either the brown acrylic paint or the light-colored chalk paint. For the roof shingles, after the stain, I watered down the chalk paint and let it drip over the shingles after I glued them to the roof. Then I wiped it with a dry cloth. After that, I lifted (bent upwards) some of the shingles. If they broke, all the better, as I wanted that to be the case here and there. I also ran some sand paper over the shingles to distress them a little more. Drying time in between coats was long though! Crackle medium takes hours to fully dry and if you don't wait, the top coat of paint sticks and drags. In some cases, that was ok, but overall, it's better to wait until it dries before doing the top coat. Thanks for the question!
  3. Yes, the picture clarified for me too! Thank you, Carin!
  4. Such a cute little house! Westville is the name of the street we live on so I was curious what it looked like. Great details! Love your work!
  5. OMG! This looks like a real-sized house! Amazing! You have way more patience than I do. I don't think I could ever make a dollhouse that didn't look distressed because so much of my Beacon Hill broke when I was taking out of frames or sanding. I wouldn't have any hair left! LOL! Very well done, though!
  6. Oh and Joanne, I also used distress ink (ranger/tim holtz product) in Walnut after the paint was dry and before I glued the trim/siding onto the house (obviously, only on the "white" pieces). Oh and thank you for the complements!
  7. OK, I deleted my two previous pics so I could add a new one. Used the stone-making technique of using cardboard (like egg cartons) and painting and mod podge for the chimney, if anyone is interested in that. Just have the roof trim pieces left on the exterior and there may be some other small trim I missed on the bays. I'll have to post interior pics after I get to my five posting requirement.
  8. Hi Joanne, Most of the aging on the exterior I did with chalk paint, crackle medium and acrylic paint. On the roof shingles I used a dark brown stain and then watered down chalk paint and rubbed it in and then sanded. I've been trying to post a more recent picture, but for some reason it says it's too large even though my "properties" say its 120kb. Will keep trying.
  9. Hi Karin, I'm expecially excited to hear from you since I've admired your Beacon Hill house for months! It's amazing and has given me a lot of inspiration!
  10. Hello Everyone, My name is Wendy and I have recently started building my first dollhouse, the Beacon Hill. I am making it to look "haunted". The most surprising thing I have found out about this hobby is that it takes so much time! Although I'm lucky enough to have time to work on it, LOL! Since late July, I've been spending about 5-6 hours a day, punching out, sanding, painting, gluing and researching what the heck I'm doing and how to do it! LOL! I have found the instructions for the kit to be very confusing and lacking in pictures. I have also found "typos" that actually make it even more confusing. For example, the chimney instructions regarding the "flue" and adding trim to the outside of the chimney, the first step referencing the pieces on the schematic drawing refers to six middle flue pieces and 2 flue sides but then the first direction on what to glue together refers to six flue sides. Anyway, it's things like this that make assembly more challenging. I've been greatful though to find other builders willing to share their experiences and who took the time to either make videos or take pictures with explanations. One good source I have used is "jennsminis.wordpress.com". She actually cut the Beacon Hill into two houses and is doing the chimney side house now. Laurie Heisler is also I very good resource for dollhouse tutorials. Her website is "dollhouseminiaturemadnessandtutorials.com" She and her Dad have done numerous videos showing the Beacon Hill and various other tutorials on miniatures. I look forward to sharing my progress on this house with you all and hopefully gain further knowledge from you all! Here is a pic of what I've done with the interior so far.
  11. Well, I got one pic to load. Couldn't get any others to upload due to exceeding the size allowed.
  12. I just registered, however I’ve been working on my first house, The Beacon Hill, since June (2017). I’ve been thankful to find others who have built this model and have provided pictures and/or tutorials on how some of the pieces go together where the instructions weren’t very clear. My inspiration came from The sea hag house by WyckedWood, although I didn’t use drywall mud on the outside bc I couldn’t figure out how she did it - LOL! I haven’t seen anyone else who used the Beacon Hill as a haunted/distressed model, but I really LOVE how hers turned out. I wanted to attach pics, but it says the file is too big. Will have to try later on my laptop instead of from my phone