About third_hand

• Rank

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience None
  • Dollhouse Preference I like them both
  • Online Community Building Projects Yes
  • Digital Camera Yes
  • Real Name Eli
  1. That haint story is fantastic! I love the idea of painting the porch ceiling to keep away ghosts and ghouls   Until I relocated to Oregon in 2016, I lived between Florida (FL being my permanent home) and North Carolina (and occasionally Georgia). I do remember seeing those blue ceilings; I never thought about why everyone chose blue!
  2. Frances Lee Glessner's Miniature (Crime) Scenes

Uh oh, it looks like I've some television / movies to watch! :)
  3. Frances Lee Glessner's Miniature (Crime) Scenes

Holly, I didn't know CSI was such a miniatures hotspot! I always joke to my fellow amateur sci-fi enthusiasts that I'm only interested in Star Wars and the like because of the miniatures work! They aren't convinced ;)  In a totally different genre, I recently re-watched Citizen Kane (I'm far more of a Golden-Age-Of-Hollywood and Hays-Code-Era/Noir gal really) to examine some of the miniature set design. It's incredible what set designers and special effects folks can achieve with such tiny things! I'm glad to hear it gets discussed here on the forum.
  4. Frances Lee Glessner's Miniature (Crime) Scenes

Hi Jenn, Thanks! I can't believe I'm just getting around to hearing about her work. I really appreciate you pointing me to all the posts. I'll have to do a bit of reading and see what folks have been talking about  
  5. A word to the wise: Glessner's miniatures are not for the faint of heart. Some depict unexpected deaths and other harrowing subjects, mostly affecting women. However, if you're inclined to have a look anyway, her work is very interesting! Not least of all because she is so socially conscious and thoughtful. I think this is such an interesting use of minis.   I'd love to hear what folks think!
  6. BeaconHill-colors-test.jpg

I second the desire to see the plum. I like the magenta, really. But, I get the feeling the richness of plum (I'm partial to deeper colors, myself) might look lovely as well. Also, how many coats of magenta are on the panel in this photo? Perhaps another coat would enrich this color?  This panel is lovely so I think you can safely go either way! :)
  7. reception room sunlight

So lovely! The piano and bench are delightful :) Did you make them yourself? If so, I'm impressed!
  8. Dawn in the Fairy Forest.JPG

Aha! Thirsty paper is definitely an issue. You're probably right; sealing with Gesso or even a barrier coat of paint is a good idea. Thanks! Keep up the great work!
  9. Dawn in the Fairy Forest.JPG

This one is very beautiful! You have quite the tiny talent If I may ask, what was the trouble with the water color paper? I'm curious because I was hoping to try mini painting, hadn't gotten canvas material yet, and thought I'd try it out first on some cold press watercolor paper (had some laying around).
  10. Bill Robertson article

Incredible! Thanks for sharing  
  11. Hello old friends!

Welcome back and nice to meet you! This Orchid is very lovely. I'm building an Orchid myself and it's always nice to see how folks put their personal spin on a particular house. Looking forward to seeing things as they come along, Andrea  
  12. Painting on Canvas for miniaturists

This is wonderful! I am so happy to see someone doing instructional videos for tiny painting and that mini-makers are so interested in tiny canvas painting   Deb, your paintings are very beautiful! Also, you're suggestions about using the heavier body paints to achieve an oil effect is very creative. I really appreciate you introducing us (or, at least me, since it seems other folks may have heard of her) to Jane and recommending all those videos. I watched her video and it really helped take out some of the guess work and truly encourages me to try.  Before I saw this thread, I'd basically resigned myself to just covering prints (on cardstock or heavy paper) with Gesso and gloss medium. As far as I can tell, you can layer it on pretty thick and then brush the surface periodically as it dries to achieve the illusion of brushstrokes. Though this might still work if you want your mini inhabitants to be the proud owners of a famous work of art, actually painting these small canvases seems like much more fun! Great thread. Thanks everyone! 
  13. Furniture Identification

Aha, thanks! I figured it was pretty low-cost. I've been practicing with my Dremel (from Harbor Freight, nothing fancy) on the hutch piece. I think I can modify it to be real nice as soon as I get that lacquer off! I have a few ideas for adding some thin wood detail and new knobs. I also took Holly's advice and looked into doing some petit point for the chairs (I've removed the mesh and widened the openings a bit). Wish me luck
  14. I have a problem with a wood surface

Holly, it sounds like you had very rich and fulfilling educational experience. I loved sociology when I was doing my undergraduate degree (in Florida also). It's fascinating that this is how you came to identify this kind of board! Always nice to hear how folks come to accumulate their knowledge of materials and such   Oops, looks like later on in the thread folks confirmed it wasn't particle board! In any case, it's a good story.
  15. Furniture Identification

Well, gosh, I sort of liked the little oval coffee table! I had planned to refinish it, of course.  In any case, the needlepoint sounds like a fabulous idea, Holly.  Thanks again