HalfScaleDollhouseLOVER

Gold Member
  • Last visited

Posts posted by HalfScaleDollhouseLOVER

1. 1 minute ago, havanaholly said:

I would do a small test patch of the creamy yellow directly over the YELLOW!! conservatory wall to see if it covers OK before going with primer, unless what's in there is oil-based.

Thank you, Holly! Will the test with the Creamy-yellow tell me if I will need to use Primer? I was also thinking that I could sand it off, somewhat. Maybe?

2. 19 hours ago, 1martinimomma said:

Congrats on getting a great house at a great price.  I can tell your so excited to have obtained the house of your dreams.  So, very happy for you. I am sure you will bring this poor house back to the glory it deserves.  So looking forward to watching this house evolve from the ugly duckling to the beautiful swan it deserves to be.

Colleen, thank you so much! Yesterday when I wasn't certain that I could go over to pick it up I was pacing back and forth from both stress and excitement. Now I'm calm knowing that it is going to come home with me and live here to be my new Dream Dollhouse. I've got such plans for this dollhouse, but I know exactly how I want to begin: (stripping it down and redoing some of the details first) and I'm both calm and a tiny bit antsy.

This is the type of dollhouse that deserves to look it's Best and I cannot wait to make that happen! I can already tell what the Original Owners were trying to do but didn't quite know how and that is a good place for me to start the refurbishment. I think. As soon as I can get the rough bits off it won't look so Ugly Duckling, but as soon as I get it redone on the exterior and interior as far as stripping it down I think the Beautiful Swan will begin to show through the mess that it currently is.

19 hours ago, miniaddicted said:

Love that you found THE house of your dreams! I know this feeling and will be watching as you make it yours!

Heidi, thank you, it is such a wonderful feeling, isn't it? I never knew what it was like before on the outside of things but it is a good feeling to take something so in need of help and redo it. Plus the ability to locate a dollhouse not only already built but to be able to get it for such an amazing price: I'm pinching myself. I cannot believe it is true! Just think of me as on: :cloud9:

19 hours ago, NellBell said:

Congrats . I'm so happy to see you so happy Looking forward to seeing what you do. Congrats again and have loads of fun.  

Nell Marie, thank you! I'm just so excited to begin that I am not quite certain what exactly I want to do first but I think I know that those poor shingles have to come off right away. :doh: (Ugh!) Thankfully, I believe they may have been put on with a hot glue gun and with a hair dryer they should slide off with a blunt tool.

15 hours ago, queenannediva said:

Congrats on finding your dream house.  Wish you had caught me last week as I came across four extra Foxhall staircases and one Lawbre curved staircase during the downsizing and reorganizing I am currently working on.  I would have been happy to send you a couple but they are all gone.

Just a note about artisan minis - once you start collecting artisan pieces you will never go back!

Good luck and have fun.

Valerie, thank you so much! You are so kind to think of My Ugly Duckling and I. I might modify those areas with a true spiral staircase that is hand carved, but I'm not entirely certain about the size of the Grand Foyer, yet. Once I get my hands in there it should tell me more, but I do want to get it looking beautiful.

Artisans: I've got a GORGEOUS 1:24 scale Tea Cart and it is just breathtaking! Those are the types of furnishings that I want in this house, for certain. (I'll never go back to anything else.) Not after seeing how grand they truly are.

13 hours ago, Qubanqtee said:

you're going to have a blast with this one and it'll be such a great journey!

Susie, I feel I'm going to have such an an amazing time with this dollhouse. It's going to be such a wonderful journey redoing this dollhouse.

5 hours ago, jbnmini said:

Oh Drea I am SO happy for you! :D:clap: Isn't it so exciting when you make such a find!?  It may be an ugly duckling now, but I am quite sure that you will have it turned into a beautiful swan someday! 

Jackie, it's so exciting! This style of dollhouse is what I have been dreaming over for years: My gorgeous Swan.

3 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

Congratulations on your find!  A diamond in the rough.

Deborah, thank you. This diamond in the rough is the very start I wanted but didn't realize that I hadn't had. Forum Members talk aout it all the time- A dollhouse speaking to you, but I didn't really hear it until now.

2 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

a total bargain.

And yes those shingles will not be missed. I think that conservatory is lovely...looking forward to seeing your changes.

Jenn, thank you it is such a bargain! Those shingles I hope will be the first thing to go. The Conservatory I think I have an answer to: I have a cream-like yellow that is very soft that is house paint. It's going to go up so much easier, but I do need some advice on a link for Paint. Do I use Primer? What size should I get? I intend to use (People) Sample Size - 8oz. jars for the body, but should I buy a gallon of Primer? What is the best? I would LOVE a link, if you or another could help.

3. 40 minutes ago, Mineejv said:

That’s a great find....I love that house....  wow.

Thank you, I absolutely adore it too! I think I'm partially In Shock with this Dollhouse find but very keen to begin. I've quite honestly been planning this house out in my head for years now, but since I thought it was just a Dream to even be able to buy the kit I think that it will actually be easier to redo than any of my other Projects.

4. 12 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

What a wonderful sow's ear, to turn into a silk purse!

It's so terribly ugly at this point but I've wanted this dollhouse for years, just figured it was way out of My Budget, considering the finishing and decorating costs of such a large dollhouse and have it all planned out in my head.

5. 4 minutes ago, Qubanqtee said:

Congratulations, that is totally awesome!!!! Can't wait to see the before pics and what you do to rehab her!

Thank you! I'm sort of in shock at the moment that I'm getting this dollhouse. I've LOVED miniatures since I was a child, but never had anything other than a Lundby (with horse stall and lower living room). It never had any electric lights, but I'm already thinking about grand chandeliers for this house!

These are the Before pictures:

51240415_10104259656531076_7546472974631567360_n.jpg

50811332_10104259656720696_2973130083465691136_n.jpg

50878260_10104259227081696_7384655494729695232_n.jpg

6. While searching for dollhouse kits locally (which includes my entire state! Woah!) I found somebody selling this already built but (a little) damaged Foxhall Manor by Real Good Toys.

The shingles are broken, but terrible so they are coming off. The conservatory was painted a bright yellow so I'm going to both tone It down with some white paint, and place a very high wainscotting trim on the room. On the room It looks like spilled white paint (or maybe? glue). There are broken stairs, rails in the Grand Hall. It looks like real sized carpet was used.

All I can see however is The Potential: I've got this hand crafted doll by an I.G.M.A. Artist named Eliza and this is going to be her home. I'm thinking of painting the roof black and later shingling it. The house either a dusky lavender or a dusky rose pink. Black trim. Dark grey and deep cream for accent colors.

Only Artisan pieces and furniture inside this home! I cannot wait to start collecting, but I first must finish some Layaways in 1:24 scale. Already an Artisan member here has offered me a stunning rug that will have the pride of place in one of the rooms.

It's going to take years, but it will be beautiful when it's finished.

It needs Help and LOVE! But it is only: $40! I'm stunned.

Going to hopefully pick it up next week. My friend is going to be taking me over to get it. I know that it is HUGE (it comes with the Conservatory and the two-story addition, but the staircases are missing, plus the (looking at the front) left side front-opening door.

I've measured my desk: it fits! But only a foot more in length is available to work. I'm cleaning up my Craft Room this week and getting ready to bring my find home hopefully next week.

I'm so THRILLED!

There are Members that find these incredible Dollhouses for incredible prices, but I NEVER dreamed that I could ever be one.

• Like 3
  7. 17 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

I just asked because my first house (the RGT half-scale bungalow) had milled-in siding, and I remember they said to paint the siding right away to help protect it as you worked with the pieces.  Apparently, it's quite soft and mars easily. So I guess, in this case, not having milled-in siding is a positive. :)  And don't be nervous!  You are being careful and taking the time to learn.  I'm sure you'll do just fine. 

Thank you so much! I'm excited to start, but not as nervous. I did find a full scale dollhouse that I want to ask the members about though that I'm THRILLED to have found.

8. I'm not certain which method (sewing or gluing) I'm going to choose, but I like the idea of both like you, Wycked! That way the clothing will deal and lay right because of the hours pieces, but also be realistic where it needs to be from the sewing.

Dana Burton?

I shall find her and see about learning from her. Thank you.

I'm fact I want to thank everybody! I don't know where I would be without the people on this forum.

9. On 2/12/2019, 5:20:32, Mid-life madness said:

I think MDF tends to get fuzzy if you sand it before priming.....Since paper bags are not coarse like sandpaper, you are fine. Try priming MDF with a shellac based primer. Zinser makes a white one.

Oh, THANK YOU! I'm so relieved!

On 2/12/2019, 3:09:21, havanaholly said:

Not sand before priming or painting?  Well that's a new one on me.  I not only sand rough spots first, if I'm not going to stain I will also give the rough stuff a skim coat of spackle or drywall mud and sand that smooth before priming or painting.

It tends to bring out the roughness of the wood if sanded with sandpaper is what I've been reading.

On 2/12/2019, 2:37:24, Debsrand56 said:

I don't think you ruined your kit, especially since you only sanded with brown paper, which gets off the fuzz and splinters, but shouldn't drastically alter your pieces.  If you'd gone crazy with a hand sander and 100 grit sandpaper, maybe. . . . :)  Otherwise, you should be fine.  Often, it's just easier to sand after the first coat of primer, because sometimes sandpaper just continues to rough up bare wood.  Does your house have milled-in siding?

It does not have milled-in siding. Is that a positive in this case?

I'm hoping that I just got rid of the rough bits and can now prime, and then take sand paper to the kit after the primer.

On 2/12/2019, 2:32:32, Ken said:

Not seeing exactly what you are talking about, Sanding is just fine you want to sand before you prime even after priming you can sand again to smooth that out, and if need be a second coat of primer then sand again before paint. A good paint job takes a lot of prep work to make it nice and to have it last.Keep in mind the coats are thin coats do not glob it on trying to hid something those areas will take care of themselves as you build up coats.

On 2/12/2019, 5:20:32, Mid-life madness said:

I think MDF tends to get fuzzy if you sand it before priming.....Since paper bags are not coarse like sandpaper, you are fine. Try priming MDF with a shellac based primer. Zinser makes a white one.

Thank you Mid-life! I'm going to get a good primer, but I was unsure which one to go with.

Thank you, Ken about the thin coats. I was wanting to go slow with the paint job on the kit to make everything ready for wallpaper, siding, wainscotting and shingles.

I've been reading if a person sands with sandpaper before doing any type of pre-coat painting that it can raise the roughness in the grain and make it near impossible to get it smooth again.

But people have also been telling me here that by using the brown paper bag instead that this won't happen.

It's my first real dollhouse and I'm so nervous! It's just such an adorable kit and half scale isn't as easy to locate items for so I'm Collecting some nice pieces very slowly that I want to go in a lovely home.

I just don't want to mess it up! *Sheepish*

10. Hello,

I've been reading that a person should not sand before painting with at least a primer. But my half scale RGT Front-opening Country Victorian arrived so rough and I was getting splinters from handling it. Besides I heard that Brown paper can be used to sand a dollhouse and my kit arrived covered in the stuff. I thought it would be the best to kill two birds with one stone and I used the brown paper to sand it down.

Some pieces are still a little tougher than I would have liked, but I just saw the recommendation that a person not sand until after painting a first coat.

Did I ruin my kit?

So concerned! Thank you!

11. 4 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I have Sue Atkinson's book:

Image result for books about dressing dollhouse dolls in 1:12 scale

The patterns have regular seam allowances, so I would suggest tracing all your parts onto tissue first and fitting those to the doll before cutting the fabric.

Thank you! These are the types of beautiful clothing that I want to create.

Tissue first? That's a good tip. I would never have thought of that.

12. Hello,

I've got a really pretty 1:12 scale ball-jointed doll coming from Zjakazumi. She has grey eyes and pale blond hair. I'm thinking of making her into a Good Witch version of Sarah Jessica Parker's character. A fitted corset with tall black witch boots, and a hooded robe over everything.

But: where do I begin? I've never dressed a doll before. This is only my second adult doll in 1:12 scale.

Thank you, Everyone!

13. My new (used) kit arrived and the previous owner open the box without labeling anything. It wasn't difficult, I just used the process of elimination. Now everything is properly labeled, but I 'might be missing: Upper stair blind 4". I'm uncertain what it looks like.

Two pieces are not labeled: They are two triangle pieces. One is about an inch. The other, could it be the stair blind?

Thank you SO much!

14. 7 hours ago, Ken said:

Keith Modge Podge is great stuff make sure after printing you use the Modge Podge sealer on both sides before gluing it down.. Jus follow the directions you can't go wrong.

I've been meaning to buy glues and a sampler of Modge Podge, along with the larger sizes recommended for dollhouses. Thank you for letting me know it could be used for this. I appreciate it!

9 hours ago, Keifer said:

I will be attempting this technique for my countertops.   We’ll see how it goes, never used modge podge before :ohmy:...I know right?!

Me neither. Soon I hope to try it out though.

9 hours ago, fov said:

You could put masking tape on the cabinets to protect them. The overhang on the front of the cabinet should make it relatively easy to avoid painting the cabinet, as long as you're careful. The side is a little trickier but if you put masking tape right up against the seam, and then peel it off while your paint is still wet, you should be able to clean up any paint that gets on the cabinet with a damp Q-tip. Or if it's dry, carefully scrape it off with your fingernail. The Bespaq cabinets you're painting have a finish that will help protect it.

Thanks! :) I'll send you a private message about rugs.

When it is wet! See now I would have waited until it was dry and completely messed it up. Thank you for saving me my mistake!

And that is how you don't get it on the cabinets! Plus how to clean up anything that got on the wrong part. This will save me so much heartache, thank you!

7 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

I used this paint in grey on the back of a thin piece of plexiglass...once it dried I painted it white, ....https://www.krylon.com/products/marbelizing-spray/

I used it on the fireplace surround in my willow. http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=131805

*GASP* I must try this on something mini! Thank you.

And: No it is you. You make the lovely dolls, and have such an adorable Christmas scene. Where in earth did you get those miniature train ornaments? That was a brilliant idea!

• Like 1
  15. 1 hour ago, Sable said:

I made mine with paperclay. Roll it with a rolling pin. Put a few tiny drops of gray paint on it. Roll the slab into a cylinder and twist it. Then roll it back it with a rolling pin to the correct thickness. Cut it to size with a blade and let dry for a few days.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=121828

I might go with this just to make certain I don't get any paint on my lower cabinets. I LOVE the look of yours!

16. 25 minutes ago, fov said:

I don't think my painted marble turned out as well as some others I've seen, but here's how I did it: http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=12871

If your heart's not set on marble and you just want a stone / quartz look, here are a couple of other posts to give you ideas:

http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=14121
    http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=6076

First are questions:

I love your marble technique and I want to try it out. How did you make sure you didn't get it on the lower part of the cabinet? I might want to try this on a hand made piece of furniture to get the look down properly first. (I'm nervous.)

If I can't get it, I thought I might try the clay technique and just cover it with a thin layer that looks like marble. I might need to coat it afterwards in something to make it shine, but it might be easier for me because I have a hard time taping things off that are so small.

Second: That is YOU!?!!!.Oh, MY! I've been completely and utterly OBSESSED with your blog for over a year now! It is what has got me back into the hobby. That exact house has become my obsession. I wanted to contact you about your rugs. Where you but your materials and if you have ever thought of selling them or selling a kit?

17. That is a good idea! I do want them to look built in and not as separate pieces.

I'm also interested in doing a backsplash as well. I've been thinking about doing a period house, but I'm not certain as of yet if I want it to truly be Victorian, even though that is the style of the home.

What I've thought was doing the rooms in different styles but tie them all together so the house could have been built in Victorian times, but Updated throughout the years.

Not 100% sold on that idea but it would make for a LOT of period research.

18. I'm buying a lovely safe colored kitchen set in 1:24 scale that was made by Bespaq, but I would like to make the date counters a different color from the cabinets.

White marble is what I'm thinking of, but black marble is also a possibility. I won't know for sure until the set arrives and I try out some marble techniques on some card paper.

How do I go about this?