Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Four
  • Real Name
    Anna
  • Country
    New Zealand

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. I was thinking of doing this but wasn't sure if it was a thing. Glad to hear that it works.
  2. I do the same. Then when you look through the windows from the front you have a back wall instead of an open space. Also keeps out the dust.
  3. I thought about making my own but it is near impossible to get the thin perspex where I live.
  4. The windows were in two parts so you could get the glass out for painting. The outer frame with the glazing bars and an inner frame which held the glass and was also the inside casing/architrave all made up. Most of these parts were broken. The inside part is designed to fit into the outer part through the wall with a flange but some did not marry up correctly and I had to remove some of the flanges. Luckily once installed you couldn't see it but lining them up was a bit trickier. I let the retailer know - a UK dollhouse store, not Ebay or the like.
  5. I did tell the retailer about it. It was a reputable dollhouse store in the UK. They do give excellent service but I think the product manufacturer let them down. I am waiting to here back from them.
  6. I didn't try sealing the back. Good thought. I wasn't keen on the other adhesive types since they grab too fast and I had a problem with wrinkles (in the paper not on my face, although coming to think of it ...) and not being able to position the paper squarely.
  7. What do you use for dollhouse furniture? I have started with basswood but find that is can be a but furry if you know what I mean. It does not seem to get a fine finish even though I do sand and paint several times. So, just wondering what others use. Or maybe there is a trick to the basswood I don't know about?
  8. NellBell, I noticed a nifty looking drill stand in one of your pictures of the gluing jig and wondered what make it is. I gotta get me a gluing jig now I've seen one. Tried the Lego blocks but they move around too much. Magnets are perfect.
  9. Is it just me or do others find that ready made windows and doors are often badly made, falling apart, not square, or the wood it very roughly milled? Out of twelve 15-pane colonial style windows I recently purchased online, and a very well known brand at that, 8 were falling apart and needed to be re-glued, three had parts that were so badly milled that, despite a lot of sanding, I could not get them smooth, two had 'glass' that did not fit without trimming, and six had the internal frame that did not marry properly with the external part without trimming off the flanges. Obviously some had more than one fault. Since I live in New Zealand, and have to order from the USA, I cannot send them back. It is very disappointing to say the least.
  10. I have done this but had a few issues with the ink bleeding and running when gluing to the walls. Sealing the facing surface did not help much. But I was printing it with an ink jet printer and the ink is water soluble. So get it laser printed, the ink does not dissolve in water easily, then seal for extra protection. If you print onto light card it may help the water coming through but I can never card to the exact right shape and it looks gappy. I like to wallpaper the dollhouse in the traditional way - paste it on then trim to fit.
  11. Thank you for all the great advice. It got me thinking about soft, fine, natural fabrics and then I remembered some old Egyptian cotton sheets with a 1000 thread count I had stowed away in the back of the cupboard. So I hauled them out and it looks perfect. Fine textured, soft and drapes well after years of wear. I can dye it whatever color I want. It also has a faint self-stripe to make it more interesting. I would never have though about it without all the replies to my post.
  12. Solvent based glues and super glue will etch into acetate windows and don't wipe off without leaving a mark. Nail polish remover may also do this. Use water based PVA (white glue) and wipe residue off with a damp cloth. Dried on bit can be picked off with your fingernails. Bear in mind that white glue does not hold onto acetate windows very well but it is enough to get your windows into place. I always make a narrow frame to cover over the edge of the window 'glass' to make sure it stays put. Some windows come with this already built in as part of the inside trimming strips.
  13. I use a water-based acrylic paint (interior house paint, not craft paint) because I can get it in 60 mil (about 2 1/2 ounces) test pots and in any color I want. One pot will do the walls of a smaller room with 2 coats if applied with a small foam roller. I can't get the colors I want in any other paint option. Sanding is no problem as long as it properly dry. Since I use MDF for my houses, raised grain is not a problem. It could be on plywood though. But one undercoat (same paint) and bit of a sand seems to take care of it.
  14. I really need to put fancy window dressings in my Marie Antoinette dollhouse but can't seem to find a fabric that is thin and drapey (is that a word?) enough to look realistic. Most fabrics, the weave looks too coarse and they also poke out instead of hanging nicely. Has anyone done really successful curtains and what did you use to do it?
  15. I have done this. Cut strips of basswood then run a bit of sandpaper along the cut edges - takes of the sharpness. It create a small bevel and when butted together looks just like tongue and groove. I tried cutting grooves into wider sheets of basswood but the grain gave it away since the grain pastern continued across more than on 'board'. If you cut individual boards then you can mix them around to keep the grain random.