18 Good

About WC

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    None
  • Real Name
    Wendy

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. The first steps are completed on the RGT Alison Jr. I have opened the box, read the instructions twice, and inventoried all the pieces. No missing pieces, but I did have two damaged - one piece of gingerbread and one dormer window roof. So next, I need to email RGT for replacements. Onward......
  2. Hello Everyone, I'm not really a new member, but haven't been on here for so long that I thought it would be appropriate to reintroduce myself. I first joined back in 2018. Throughout that year I purchased several doll houses from my local antique mall and tried my hand at rehab. I also purchased several of the vintage tin doll houses and collected the plastic furniture for them. I found a Beacon Hill at an estate sale and started to rehab it and then tried my first new build - the Orchid. The walls and floor of that build became badly warped so I abandoned that project. Then life and work got in the way. All the doll houses had to go - well, not quite. I kept one of the tin houses and the one house that started it all - an Ashley that I rescued from the antique mall. Fast forward to now. With all the things going on in today's world, I was feeling at loose ends. I needed something besides work to occupy me. I do a bit of knitting, but that wasn't really satisfying. I was at Hobby Lobby buying some yarn, when I wandered towards the back corner where my local HL keeps the doll houses and accessories. Yes, you guessed correctly. A RGT Alison Jr. kit came home with me. So, I'm back..... .
  3. I bought an Orchid kit from Hobby Lobby some time last year - can't remember exactly when. I have the foundation, the walls, and both floors glued in and was getting ready to put in the partition walls when I realized that the partition walls are badly warped and then I discovered the main floor is now warped. I am assuming that the only way to work on the main floor is to totally disassemble the whole house. I glued it with Aleene's tacky glue. Is there any way to take it apart now ? If I get it apart, do I just soak the warped pieces and weigh them down ? For how long? What's even more discouraging is I bought another Orchid kit (also from Hobby Lobby) just before Christmas and have discovered that it also has warped walls and floor. Any suggestions ?
  4. What a wonderful house ! I would love to find one like it.
  5. Are these houses in a antique shop ? I couldn't identify any of the houses, but I would love to shop here !!!
  6. What is it with cats and dollhouses ? My two just love crawling inside and peering through the windows and doors. It looks like a really bad science fiction film "Cats Take Over the World". This afternoon I had the Beacon Hill that I'm rehabbing on its back while I reglued a bit of foundation. Youngest cat climbs up on the house and puts her foot through a window. Nothing broken, but now I have to reglue the window back into the opening. On a happier note, I already bought a rug for the downstairs hall and two battery powered lamps because I just couldn't wait to see how it looked with lamps in the windows (even though I haven't done any interior decorating).
  7. Finished cleaning the Beacon Hill that I bought this past weekend and have started doing some repairs. I am missing a few things and was wondering if anyone on this forum had any spare parts that they might be willing to sell? I am missing one shutter, half of the front door, 10 of the large roof brackets, and about 12 of the smaller brackets from the bay windows. I can make my own replacement parts, but thought that if anyone had any spares it would save a bit of time.
  8. What did you Beacon Hill Builders (or rehabbers) do with the flat portion of the roof? . The mansard portions of my latest acquisition has all been shingled very nicely, so I am going to keep them exactly as they are. However, the flat portion is still just raw wood. Did you paint, stain, or ? Thank you for any tips and I'm sure I will have many more questions.
  9. While cleaning the BH that I bought this morning at an estate sale, it dawned on me that there were no interior doors (openings, yes, but no doors). I have never built or rehabbed a Greenleaf house before. I assume the previous owner just never attached the doors. Can you purchase replacement doors easily? The openings seem smaller than my other houses, but I haven't measured them yet.
  10. I last posted here at the end of July about a house I found at an antique mall. Well, my personal and work life got a little crazy. I downsized my dollhouse collection - four houses went and I was debating what to do with some of the others. This morning I went to an estate sale. Upstairs I found a little box of thimbles - my other collection (nice and small, right ?). Then my son and I headed to the basement. There in the corner of the room on a little stand sat a dollhouse (which I later identified as a Greenleaf Beacon Hill). I so did not need another dollhouse. But, you guessed it - I bought it. It was marked at $75, but I got it for $60. Some exterior trim is loose, it's missing some of the eave brackets, and it is missing 1/2 of the front door, but everything else is in great shape. The interior was never decorated, so I can do that however I want. What is this addiction to dollhouses ? Well, I am headed over to the other parts of the forum to learn all about the Beacon Hill.
  11. Tara, Thanks for the i.d. I searched Arrow on both this forum and out on the internet. I believe this house is a bash of the Arrow Dream House. Wendy
  12. I have to stop going to antique shops. I went last weekend and came home with a rather neglected two story plus attic house. I first thought it might have been built from a kit. It has printed wood floors and roof, but some of the walls are old scraps of wood paneling. The windows are thick plexiglass, not the thin plastic sheets. I pulled up two vinyl tiles and removed some 1980s wallpaper. This one has a lot to be repaired and it may be beyond me, but I just couldn't leave it there (plus it was only $20). Sorry for the poor quality photo- I took it with my laptop.