3 Neutral

About RosieSunshine

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    None
  • Real Name
    DD

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. Long time no post, So I've been thinking of the advice I got from my last post and would like to try using foam core for my house, but the more I read the more confused I get. So here's what I understand: Foam core, foam board, and gator board are three different things. Gator board is more sturdy than foam core Foam board has no cardboard or paper sandwiching the foam All three need pins to help the hold Foam core and board will warp when using tacky or elmer's glue All of them take practice to cut well. However I see people talking about using elmer's glue or other white glue with foam core without warping. Is it a matter of luck? Thickness of the material? Whether it is sandiwiched or not? Are pins mandatory? What are the pros and cons of the three versus other materials?
  2. You're right they're about 1:18th but a bit wide. My mistake! I keep thinking their 1:12 for some reason. I think it's because originally I wasn't collecting them but 1:12 dolls until I realized I wasn't finding any 1:12s I like. I did order some 1:12 furniture though which just means it's time to whip out the hand saw and sand paper and glue. I feel like I made this thread nothing but confusion for you poor folks trying to help. Sorry.
  3. To clarify the scale of everything in the house will be 1:12 figures and furniture. The four inches will be from the floor of a loft space to ceiling and the level floor to the floor of the loft. So each level will be about eight inches long as it is designed now, but then some rooms will be partially divided into four inch spaces for loft (in one case an office space, and the other a kids bedroom space. And thank you and to everyone else for the tips on the foam board! I've never heard much of this before and I certainly have to keep it in mind as I move forward. Right now I'm thinking I may just build a practice house using the cardboard box with the plan to recreate it in a few months with foam board. First I just need to get the structural elements down. To that end I'm thinking I won't do staircases in version one. The more I think about it the more it sounds like 1) the stairs will take up space I can use, and 2) added weight for the structure that would require more thought/skill than I currently have. Also in reference to the masking tape, I just tend to use it while my glue dries then get paranoid about removing it to an unhealthy degree. I will certainly take the advice and only use it for testing out the look and design.
  4. I'm somewhat uncertain of what to use, but I'll keep the dress makers pins in mind. It's a better idea than what I've done before, holding a loft floor in place while doing squats! I could try foamcore or something approximately as thick, but I've never worked with it before. Do you think that will be the best plan of action for having strong floors? The box I'd be deconstructing (or possibly not since it's a brownstone style) is 8.5 inches deep and about 2 feet tall give or take an half inch. The apartments will be in a 1:12 scale to fit my Calico Critters. The idea is taking the sort of whimsical feel of the country calico critters and giving it a bit of a modern flair. So one floor will have the mezzanine and be partially 4 feet high in one place with the mezzanine floor to ceiling being four inches as well.
  5. So I am planning on going from my tiny roombox to building something larger in cardboard box. I have this vision of an apartment building which will actually save space and I think will be fun. It will house two familiies of calico critters and have a somewhat small town modern meets vintage vibe. It's a giant leap from a cardboard room box but I feel like pushing myself will force me to learn more. So I wanted some feedback from you lovely people Here's the plan 1)Using toilet paper in tacky glue mix I am going to reinforce the cardboard in one later. Then possibly cover with newspaper. (Basd on the where the gnomes live method) 2) then I will add cardstock and paint to the outside to create the building exterior 3) using masking tape I am going to try placing the horizontal floors(three levels). With extra reinforcement added to the roof 4)placing the vertical floors to create the shared hall/foyer and two residents 5) placing the windows and doors (which will be for conviemamce and practicality printies and craft wood 6) outlining the roof patio/garden on the roof and adding the half fence around it 7) adding flooring to the building (for time I may use vinyl contact paper or if I feel extra industrious staind coffee stirrers) 8) Painting and wall papering 9)One room will have a messanine so I am unsure whether to add that at this step or the another. The messanine will be held in place with tacky glue, masking tape, and the masking tape covered with painted and cut craft sticks against the walls. It may also be supported by a painted wooden dowel if I have the tools to cut it by then. Each apartment will have a staircase in at least one room which I was going to make using foil to outline the shape reinforced by three layers of paper towel dipped in tacky (is this papper maiche??) Then cut card board siding lined with cut craft sticks, and possibly the only working door in the structure to create a pantry. Does this all sounds kind of crazy? Are any of my ideas bad? Have you ever built an apartment with multiple units? What are your tips for working with cardboard?
  6. I am right near Baltimore. Nice to hear I have some mini loving neighbors!
  7. Does he have a cousin or a young equally awesome brother? Thats wonderful you have that set, and I hope you're feeling better.
  8. I love seeing how this is coming together. The texture on the fireplace is lovely, and the color mixes are really eye catching for what I'm seeing so far.
  9. The haunted dollhouse is an old troupe, and it comes about due to uncomfortably around the uncanny valley effect. So many cultures have taboos around effigies idols, or even photos for a reason. A lot of people feel unsettled by mimicry, and I think for a lot of people it's "Why spend time/money on something like that? You must be a weird obsessive because who has that patience" etc. Sometimes though I think it varies. I am a writer and since I was about 15 I've had a story I've been working on (it's been over a decade and it's not half written). One of the main characters builds dolls and dollhouses, and it really is reflective of how she yearns for control and a sense of peace. She's also a killer...but she's also a ballet dancer and avid reader. Traits that evoke "over" attention to detail or perfectionism are often easily made into big bad traits. All this said the movie looks flippin great. From the look of it the miniturist main character isn't crazy, so much as her mother was. I'm guessing by the set up her mother was domineering, demanding, and belittling. As a result she sort of wound up turning to an artform she could control and as supernatural events unfold the miniture of the family home where she displays weird family events and seemingly plays out old emotional traumas begins to take on a sinister quality of continuing evils against her. If the movie is smart it'll play with people's "you do this hobby? Weird" assumptions and have that really be very mundane, but everything around it inflicts evil. Gosh I hope its good.
  10. I can't wait to see more. It's got a lot of war wounds, so to speak,but it is a truly beautiful house. Just looking at it makes me envious!
  11. Hello, I've been lurking on these forums for a few weeks now and decided I should finally take the plunge and join to better my skills and to prepare for down the road. I'm from Maryland, I describe myself as an chocolate marshmallow woman with a lot of all things miniature stemming from childhood. I've always been drawn to dolls, to interior design, and even to crafting. However it's only been in the last two years that I've mentally and emotionally gotten to a place where I have processed my own agency in regards to crafting, miniatures, and taking ownership of the things I love that are a bit more eclectic. I used to be one of those kids who'd get cool art things for birthdays from friends that'd need adult supervision and when I asked about it the answer was "not right now" from parents and then I never asked again even if I wanted to. Without meaning to that became a long standing barrier that mingled with an intense anxiety around things not turning out as I envisioned. But life is too short to not work through those things and pursue what I enjoy. Currently I'm rather in love with Calico Critters/ Sylvanian families, which speak to my love of whimsy and charm stemming from a deep love of fairy tails and country cottages from my childhood. I hope to begin working again this summer and start saving for my first kit, but in the mean time I'm enjoying building from cardboard. I'm glad to be here and can't wait to learn from everyone.