Nathaliedollsmini

Silver Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Posts posted by Nathaliedollsmini

1. 14 hours ago, Shareb said:

Yep - got back into the wagon yesterday.  I must say I feel so much more comfortable with the paint brush or craft knife!  I 'think' I could do dolls, but I also realise that you really have to have the passion for something to keep at it enough to become good at it.  I doubt very much that most doll makers made the perfect dolls on their first go - it most definitely is a practice makes perfect kind of thing!  I started on the wagon floor yesterday so will continue on that today.  Really looking forwa, yourd to seeing yours!  Shame about the trim - although I ordered a bunch of trim (which was kind of expensive....) and then didn't end up using any of it!

Hey Rebecca, you should not give up! Making dolls is as hard and difficult as making a building or a wagon , you are just not comfortable by now !

You can try to recover your dolls part with polymer clay again, some liquid polymer clay may help you to bond with the baked parts. You smooth with your fingers before baking, and bake at the right temperature long enough. If the 3D skeleton bears it, you should give it a try, it is worth your previous efforts! I'm sure you will manage to have your gipsy !!

• Like 1
  2. if I understand well, you have a skeleton in 3D print that you covered with polymer clay to have the shape you want, right?

I had the experience of broking my finished doll with prosculpt, I baked it several times because I needed to make different parts step by step and at the very end, once dressed, wigged and ready to show, the arm broke . I asked to my friend who is more professionnal than me with polymer clay and she told me that I  didn't bake it enough at the right temperature and for a long time.

Maybe your issue is due because of the brand of the polymer clay, you may find some help on you tube at the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv6qOpdE_OU 

she has very helpuf tips to choose your polymerclay brand. I hope you will manage to save your gipsy !!!!!

• Like 2
  3. On 04/04/2018 à, Thimble Hall said:

Thank you for the info. the reason I asked is c=because I have quite a lot od Pergamano paper

I don't know much about this paper, but if it's possible to print on it with your regular printer, why not trying? But once printed you have to seal the image with triple thick glaze or modpodge. I also used to play with my pearl ex pigments for the back of the wings mixed with the triple thick, it gives nice shine and it shows thru a little bit at the front. 

4. 9 hours ago, Thimble Hall said:

Nathalie, you mentioned Pergamano paper but couldn't find the instructions on how you used that. could you help me please

Hello Jeannine, Pergamano may not be the right word for what I meant,  velum paper seems to be the right one. You know the paper that you use to copy a drawing by transparency? you can use one that is thicker in your printer and you print for example butterfly wings. When ink is dry you put a thin layer of 3D gloss or sakura or modpodge (never use that for myself) to protect the printing, then you customize your  wings , glue beads, sparkle, anything that you want! I strengthen the wings by adding a thin matching metal wire long enough to attach to the doll and that's it.

5. 9 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

Nathalie did you make all of those fairies, omg! They’re amazing! I love the third one especially. The wings in the 5th picture is what I’ve been envisioning. 

Yes I did , Karin! the Third ones are made with angelina film, with a pattern that I made myself , I glued some sparkle, no hole beads and everything that could remind ice fairy. The fifth ones are made from a wing sheet I bought in a show in Italy, it was a plastic , I added angelina at the back, embossed them with heat gun (very lightly!!) to have the nice changing colors and customize them. 

I also made wings for my angels, with feathers, I cut the feather at the size I want, glue them on a cardboard shape I made to have exactly what I want. Time consuming but real great effect !!!

• Like 1

you can also go to you tube and type fairy wings; you have Celidonia working at 1.12th scale who makes wings from different material and it's very easy to follow. 

I don't know how to put the link here, when I do the picture takes all the forum page! 

• Like 1
  7. I used Angelina films for fantasy wings, it's funny but pretty hard to use for my taste. You have a nice tutorial here very well explained

https://www.cdhm.org/tutorials/making-fairy-wings.html

here are the fairies I made with this tutorial and angelina film in the first 3 pictures

I loved to use the pergamano paper to make wing and you print on it what you want. I used the same tutorial as above but without burning the material as it is not required!! I bought several wing sheets from her http://www.ooakartistemporium.com/WingSheets.html and the result is perfect!

you can see that on the following ones

the most difficult part is to attach the wings to the porcelain bodies. As you pour your own dolls, I suggest you to make 2 tiny holes in the back so that you can pick the wings . For me I always have to figure out to make the outfit thinking how to fix the wings first and do the bodice! pretty hard everytime!

4017897.jpg

4466267.jpg

4609834.jpg

285435.jpg

353086.jpg

918573.jpg

3315204.jpg

• Like 3
  8. Nice work everyone! we are all very busy these days!

As love to make mini projects, here are my latest creations, Venetian masks are my fun part, everything is possible and pinterest is such a big treasure to find ideas! They all sculpted in polymer clay and painted with acrylic or pearl ex. 

IMG_8807 - Copie.JPG

IMG_8811 - Copie.JPG

IMG_8815 - Copie.JPG

IMG_8819 - Copie.JPG

• Like 5
  9. Sounds good Karin!!! I wish that days were more than 24 hours too !!!! 

I've finished my samples for my workshop at the Miniature show. Now time to go to something else, time is running out !!

IMG_8739 - Copie.JPG

• Like 1
  10. On 11/03/2018 à, WyckedWood said:

Nathalie I’ve seen your work on Etsy, it’s very inspiring. I love the way you paint your dolls faces. Do you pour your own dolls or use blanks? 

Karin, I use blank dolls as I have no kiln (to my despair...or not ! reading the issues with a kiln!) anyway. I'm always frustated by the blank kits as they aren't exactly the way I want, so I add some epoxy putty to change the shape or add heels to my feet. 

For the painting I only paint with acrylic paints, I know it is not the best way for purist's porcelain lovers, but it allows me to have the face I want! I've tried cold porcelain paint but it's thicky and I'm not comfortable as I am with acrylics. I paint my dolls since 2008 and I took several classes to improve myself, now I can tell that I love the way I paint and I can paint what I want. But I worked a lot to achieve that skill! 

• Like 1
  11. Hello everybody

I have 3 Patricia Rose molds and I tried them. I don't know what I did wrong or if my polymerclay is too soft but in the end the result is not good, according to me. When I pulled out the entire body, the clay strechted a little (even if I put it first in the freezer to cold it before popping the clay out) and when I seamed the lines I lost the shape of the body and it stretched again!! So I decided to use it only  by parts : torso, legs, arms, head and work each parts alone. Of course it is time consuming! The result of the body parts is on the first picture

Now I sculpt by myself without the help of any mold using the Katherine Deway technic that suits me better. I can work and have the result that I want : Gollum and his precious for example

IMG_7175.JPG

My Precious - Copie.JPG

• Like 4
  12. On 08/03/2018 à, WyckedWood said:

I finished one of my 3 inch toddler size dolls today. The smallest I've done so far. She is Princess Alice (Queen Victoria's daughter) based on a painting of Alice painted by Winterhalter in 1845, she's wearing a dress-up costume from the century previous. It was hard keeping all that fabric from overwhelming such a small figure, she's wearing several layers of lined silk taffeta. 

Karin your little Princess is so cute! I'm happy to see that they so many dolls makers here!

My actual work is a roombox shop art nouveau, I have no picture yet as the project is a big mess. Moldings are really difficult to find so I printed them. I finished a lingerie and shoes roombox shop last year where I made nearly everything (except the building and the shoes) The building was a roombox from a miniature shop that I customised and the shoes is my collection of miniature shoes from an Italian artisan that I love Patrizia Santi

openedbox.JPG

• Like 1
  13. Hello everybody

I was suggested to register to your forum by a kind lady. So here I am!

I 'm a 49 (nearly 50 !)years old proud mum of 3 beautiful daughters (aged now of 20, 18 and 14 !) .

I always love miniatures since I'm a child and when I was a student to become a physiotherapist I started to craft by myself furnitures for my pleasure, then roomboxes. I discover that it was a real hobby when I went to London and visited a dedicated shop and shows. 

In France it is not very popular as in England or America. Until internet arrives, it was very hard to find supplies to work with. But now!!! 
    I build my first and only dollhouse when my first daughter came into this world in 1998, it was the dollhouse provided by Del Prado. I followed all instructions and finished it, and of course when finished I knew that it was possible to make it very personnal. So I started to recustomize it, but at the same time I started to go to fairs, meet miniatures friends (not popular in France but forums help to make friends! so did I !) and learn new technics then in 2009  I had a live class with Dana Burton (from Miniatureart and Minidollslist) and started to walk in the dolls world.

And I don't want to leave it !!! I started to make my own dolls  but unsatisfied by the blank kits -mostly men are not at my taste- I started to sculpt them. And what a joy to finish a project that matches what you had in mind! At the same time I attended live classes, shows and workshops. I also made a few tutorials for American Miniaturists and had a few reports showcasing my work. 

Now I'm exhibiting my work for the 2nd time I will be attending The Miniature Show in april in Schaumburg. I feel excited!! I'm even featured in the DHM61 and AM 180 for the show! I feel so proud!

• Like 2