sara_lee

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Posts posted by sara_lee

1. 1 hour ago, IndyCindy said:

If you only need small sections of fake turf, home improvement stores like Menards and Lowes have free samples available in their flooring departments. Some of the swatches look very fake (much to uniform in color and plastic-y), but I picked up a few samples that looked quite realistic. . . and the price couldn't have been better!

I love cheap stuff! :) 

2. 23 hours ago, Dalesq said:

I use Heki grass sheets. They are realistic, but can be pricy. You can get them from Scenic Express http://www.sceneryexpress.com/ and I’ve found them on eBay.

I work in 1:24 scale so they can look a little overgrown, and I have mowed with scissors. :) http://whttp://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=111226

They look good with 1:12 builds. Check out Otterine's Haunted Heritage. http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=103608

Thanks! I was actually worried about the opposite- because scenic landscape items tend to be at largest 1:24 scale or 1:20 scale, I was afraid the grass might be too flat, but it looks perfectly fine. You can even buy a special leaf blower to blow the loose leaves around. :D 

3. 23 hours ago, Sable said:

I purchased my mossy grass in 4” wide rolls from Michael’s last March in the floral section. If you look at the attached photo you can sort of see it. The house to the left of mine used indoor/outdoor carpet.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=127682

That looks pretty realistic! Did you make the slightly uneven soil underneath to give it more texture?

4. This is a somewhat silly question, but I've had problems finding realistic fake grass turf, and I noticed some very nice ones in photos on this forum and online.

Currently what I use is either flat grass sheets, which look way too uniform in colour and shape, or paint a layer of green and brown with Folk Art dimensional "Moss" paint and some acrylics. The effect is pretty realistic, but where do people get those cute fake moss turfs from?

I've also been using treated reindeer moss as bushes. Will they dry out and turn brown?

If anyone has experimented with making ponds, I would be very interested to know how they did it. I made my 'water' with clear resin mixed with green, but I'm keen to make them more realistic and natural looking.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1
  5. On 07/11/2017, 08:40:09, biomom said:

So...I did end up buying and making one of the 1:24 DIY "Cute Room" kits from Ebay that we discussed a while ago. It will be a Christmas gift to my niece. It has LED lighting and is also a music box. BELIEVE THEM when they say DIY. You make EVERYTHING down to the tiniest piece. It was a really fun project but took a LONG time due to all of the work from tiny details. That included making the upholstered chairs from fabric, padding and blocks of wood, doing all the lighting wiring and making lampshades, making tiny to-go paper cups, constructing the patio umbrella, and the list goes on. So if you are interested in doing one, just keep that in mind. Here are a few pictures...more in my Gallery.

Congratulations on finishing the projects. You certainly take more time with their kits than me. I've made a few (Bear Story teddy bear's shop, a cafe which seems to be made of mostly the lower level of your cafe but less complex, a few living rooms and even a 2-storey house.). I found making all the tiny tiny bits really frustrating, and would often skip the smallest pieces of paper as well as the soldering of the wires and just installed some battery operated cheap fairy lights. I'm glad someone else is enjoying these too. I do like the fact that they often come with a music box that you can install. 

6. 1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

A Lawbre?

Aha, I only wish! I did see the 475 USD one that was on sale on Craigslist, but there's no way I can afford it plus shipping all the way to me. No, it's just a house made by a designer on Etsy who does laser cuts from houses she designs herself, she herself is not too clear on the scale but I've gathered that the house is too small to be 1:12; if anyone could help with that that would be great too! :D 

https://www.etsy.com/sg-en/listing/219020017/laurel-town-home-3mm-birch-ply-wood?ga_search_query=laurel&ref=shop_items_search_1

7. 11 hours ago, Shareb said:

Hi Sarah!  Nice to meet you!  Are your houses 1:12 or 1:24 scale?  They're looking good!!

Thanks! The Rosedale is 1:24. The Willowcrest is 1:12. I've just ordered a new house that looks to be between 1:16 and 1:12, but that one's still on its way to me! :) 

• Like 1
  8. 29 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Welcome to the little family, Sara.  You will want to put your photos into albums in the Gallery here as soon as you have made five posts.  There is a limit to how much room you can use for photos from outside in your posts.

Good to know, thank you!

9. :drool:Hello Greenleaf Forum community!

I'm Sara from Singapore, I am 23 years old and I study in England. 

I'm a new dollhouse builder who only started building last November... I finished my first dollhouse, the half scale Rosedale, in January and since then I've been working on a Willowcrest. The houses as they currently look are shown below... they have gone through a few revisions since but they still look pretty much the same!

I'm currently working on the interior of both the rosedale and the willowcrest... Looking forward to meeting you all!
    The video is of the first floor of the Willowcrest. 

Peace,
    Sara

Rosedale1.jpg

29004085_10215195772343595_673672334_n.jpg

• Like 1