About Ldecs

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    None
  • Real Name
    Lisa

Recent Profile Visitors

338 profile views
  1. Thanks everyone! Was able to make it work with toothpicks, gorilla glue and a lot of patience :)
  2. Hi again! Making some progress on my Duracraft VM800 and have a question. I’m ready to paint the outside, but some of the window mullions are broken. They’re made of wood, and I’m trying sawed off toothpicks now but am having a terrible time getting them to stick together. Tried wood glue and tacky glue, they’re just so tiny! Any genius tricks out there? Can’t post a pic, no matter what I do it always says the photos is too big.
  3. Ldecs

Tower Ceiling

How in the world did you do this?! I’m in the middle of redoing the same house, and the clouds were one of the ideas I had - we had it in an old house! I can barely get in there just to strip the old stuff off!
  4. EDIT: I’m planning on putting up crown moulding and baseboards too, in case that matters. Thanks!
  5. I didn’t!! Thank you so much! I’ve been out of town and not online, will read these all and see if anything works. Thanks!!
  6. Hopefully someone has a miraculous cure for me on this one No easy task, but I was finally able to get all of the wallpaper off the walls of my dh. I’ve now discovered that there are three or four different types of interior walls. Some are literally slats of wood, some are a thick textured rough thing, and some are smooth as a baby’s butt. Problem is...I wasn’t planning on using any wallpaper, and wanted to paint each room. I’ve looked thru the forums and found several suggestions...”false” walls of poster board, watercolor paper...wallpaper liner...spackle...gesso... I like the idea of the false walls of poster board, as they’d be lot easier to paint outside the house, but since it’s all put together (it’s a rehab of an old Duracraft VS800) it seems impossible to get a template made of the walls. Especially in the turret rooms. If I paint gesso all over the whole thing, will it really smooth out the walls? What would you all do? I’m attaching a pic that shows the wall surfaces.
  7. @JaimeG - I recently purchased a dollhouse and have come across the same issue. Wondering how you resolved yours and what you needed to get to get it working. I too have all of the wiring installed by whoever built it, but it’s not hooked up to anything and I can’t figure out where to go from here.
  8. Update: so there’s no “black box” under the dollhouse. The only thing under the house is wires. I got some photos of the wiring...and the other side of the mysterious plug hole. I’ll post below.
  9. Thank you! I’ve got the house at a different location, so I’ll get a photo as soon as I can get over there.
  10. Do the kits come with wiring/power? I think the answer is no, but worth asking. I’m working on my first DH project now and it’s that house. It didn’t come with a power cord, and I’m having a terrible time trying to find out what I need.
  11. Hi there! I’ve just started my first project, rehabbing an old Duracraft VM800. I’ve removed the windows, stairs, trim and wallpaper and am ready to start priming etc. The house is all wired, but it didn’t come with a power cord and I’ve had no luck researching it online. I’ll add a photo of the hole where the power cord plugs in, that’s literally all the info that I have. I’m at a standstill until I can get a power cord, so any help would be HUGELY appreciated. I don’t want to go forward with priming or painting until I can test the power and see if the lights and wiring are working. If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be amazing. I hate not being able to do any more work on this beauty. THANK YOU!!!
  12. Thank you so much! Between here and FB I feel like I’ve learned so much in the last two days, I’m ready to dive in.
  13. Hi! I’m new here and have had so much fun scrolling through and seeing all of your wonderful ideas and tips. I’ve been wanting to make a dollhouse for years now, my dad made a custom one when I was little that looked just like our house. My sister somehow “lost” it (insert eye roll here) but I still have all of the goodies...including handmade needlepoint rugs by my mom, tons of little food items my dad and brother made, etc. Just no house. Until today. I had planned on doing a kit, and painting, wallpapering etc prior to assembling it. This beauty kind of fell into my lap today, so I’m starting big I guess!! I have SO many questions...but to start with, here are a few... - does anyone know where I might be able to find dimensions and templates for this house? I found the instruction manual online but it doesn’t have room dimensions. - how do you wallpaper/paint houses like this that are already assembled?! Especially the room inside the turret? - would it be a mistake to try and remove the staircase to paint it? - windows need to be replaced, they’ve yellowed with age. It seems 0.04” plexiglass is the best way to go for most dollhouses, but does that work with Duracraft? I’m worried it will be too thick. - the floors are actual hardwood, I was shocked. Is there a way to strip and/or stain them? - wiring is everywhere and very well marked. It’s missing some component that plugs into the side. How do I figure out what I need for that? And can I add additional lights etc? Sorry for so many questions!!! You all seem to have a wealth of knowledge and I think I need all the help I can get. Thanks so much, I’m so excited to get started on this.