• Last visited

5 Neutral

About Bootis

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    None
  • Real Name
    Andy
  1. Oh yeah- 4. Spray paint outside or at least in the garage. A rookie mistake we suffered from for 3 days
  2. Update- was up till dawn but got the house done in time for Christmas.. (well, done enough to present- I wanted to have finished the inside, but it was easy enough to spin it as that being something we can do together!) a couple of lessons learned: 1- don’t paint the edges of shingles in a pile! It glues them together of course ... sharpie-ing the edges is much better option. 2. Wax paper underneath when spray painting instead of newspaper.. big lesson learned there 3. In the end it was a big hassel to do shingles this way, but they do look really good!
  3. Thanks for the replies everyone. Yeah, it is was a first coat on everything with latex paint, as per the instructions. Very frustrating
  4. Greetings everyone, I am new to this forum, and am currently underway building my first house, an Alison Jr. I've read through this forum a lot before beginning, as well as the instructions several times . I've decided as it's my first house, I'd like to do everything by the book. So as the instructions stated, I've painted a first coat on "everything", and sanded. However now I'm having second thoughts- the instructions said to first coat everything, but didn't mention masking off any areas where walls will be glued to ceilings etc, so now there will be areas where wood will be glued to first coat painted/sanded ceilings. Is this an issue? Reading around here there seems to be a consensus that wood should always be glue to bare wood- I'm wondering why the instructions don't mention taking any steps in the first coat painting to prevent this. Also, the instructions have a contradiction that has me a little confused. In the beginning, they say "Everything gets painted before attaching to the housebody but some things (like the window frames) will be assembled before painting", and then later at the instructions for the window assembly it states "Window Assembly: the parts used in this section should be painted ahead of time, if they have not been painted, do so now" Ugh! I'm guessing it probably means I should paint them before assembly, but then why specifically call out in the intros that they wouldn't be painted before assembly? Thanks for any advice!
  5. Great advice here, thanks! I decided for me I’d prefer to use the wood shingles, with the texture paint even though it may take a little extra time. I did a few test shingles using Sable’s recommended method and they came out great. I’m a little nervous spraying them after assembly, so I’ll bite the bullet and spray them all before. I did run into an issue with the edges not really getting adequate coverage which I think would be pretty noticeable, especially on the exposed bottom edges. My solution which seemed to work was to stack all the shingles into little piles of 30 or so and take each stack, flush the edges, and paint the edges darker grey. This didn’t take very long and should hopefully minimize any exposure of uncoated areas. I can touch up the edges of cut shingles Sable mentioned as needed.
  6. Perfect thank you! I wouldn’t have thought to tape the shingles and learned the hard way. Can I get away without dying them if I do this? I don’t want to take shortcuts, but this would save a few days and every day will count to finish by Christmas
  7. Hello all, I’m new to this group and building my first dollhouse, as a Christmas gift for my daughter. I went with a RGT Alison Jr, , but my question would apply to any house I suppose. I’m attempting to achieve an appearance of asphalt shingles, and after some research found several ways I could achieve that- actual asphalt (a little too pricey) , cut sandpaper , card stock sprayed with stone texture paint- I liked the examples I’ve seen of the last one. My question then is, is there any reason I couldn’t simply line up all the shingles that came with the kit flat, and spray them all with the texture paint? Thanks for you input!