iamjillian

Silver Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by iamjillian

1. Thank you for this advice!!! I really like Minimum World. The prices are good, the website is very convenient to use and the shipping is free to Australia when you order over a certain amount (which is easy to do). I will give the shiplap siding a go.
  2. Thanks! I do like Minimum World. Is that siding easy to fit? I am making the Diana and because there are lots of angles and bay windows etc I was a bit concerned that the sheets of siding would become quite tricky to fit together without obvious gaps.
  3. Is there a UK supplier that sells? Postage is usually fine from the UK. It seems odd to me that it’s a really hard doll house building component to find, but clapboard siding is a really popular option for dollhouses?
  4. Hi all, Lookinf for some recommendations as to where to buy wooden clapboard siding - preferably individual strips. The exchange rate and postage from the USA is very high, so I am wondering if there are any suppliers who make it outside of the US? Thanks!
  5. Hi there, Does anyone have any suggestions for hiding the socket strip / power board used in wiring? Putting it under the house seems like an option, but I'd rather not have to turn my house upside down to look at the socket strip. Thanks!
  6. I’m currently building the 1:12 Diana laser cut and it is a DREAM. The wood is beautiful and everything is very clean and easy to work with. I really like the idea of the Beacon Hill house but I’m concerned that I wouldn’t like to go to a non laser cut kit.
  7. I’ve found the wood quality on my laser cut Diana kit to be very nice. Is the wood quality on the other kits not as good? I wonder if Greenleaf will ever do a laser cut Beacon Hill?
  8. Thank you for the advice! Im also kind of thinking that the second floor of the Diana needs some skylights because it’s pretty dark up there.
  9. Hi all, I am working on the laser cut 1:12 Diana. So far the kit is going together really well with no issues. Although I have noticed that the stair case doesn’t seem to have any kind of side railing? I don’t think it’s up to building codes because tiny people could fall straight off the side! Has anyone built their own stair railing into the Diana?
  10. House assembly going great! I think that I have found a new hobby! The Diana is a great first house because it is quite straight forward to put together but is also very beautiful. Re lights - after getting started I have decided it’s best if I don’t try to do it all with my first house. So I think that battery lights will do just fine for this one. I think I’ll aim to fully electrify my next one.
  11. Quick question. I noticed the pieces of my laser cut kit have a smooth 'finished' looking side and a rougher unfinished side. Is there a right or a wrong side to the pieces? (I am thinking like the sewer I am, where there is a right and wrong side to fabrics!) Do the pieces need to be faced inwards or outwards? Or is it just according to how they fit into the tabs/design of the model. Might be a silly question, but thought I would ask before starting any assembly. Thanks!
  12. Oh my goodness that dollhouse??!!!! Is crazy amazing.
  13. I’m also interested in everyone’s views as to whether to choose wired or battery lighting?
  14. Thank you! I just had a look at some mat board and it seems perfect. (I’m not a big cereal eater so I don’t have any of those boxes to hand!)
  15. Hi @shannonc60 Thanks for the recommendations about Australian sources for miniature supplies. There are so many lovely things for sale on USA websites, but I have already blown the budget just getting my dollhouse kit sent here, so I will probably need to find things locally. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for materials for making your own weatherboard / clapboard siding? Would cutting basswood into strips work okay?
  16. Hi my name is Jillian. I'm from Australia. I'm just about to start on my first proper large house (I've only ever done tiny little 1:100 kits like these before: https://www.littlebuildingco.com/shop/?category=Australian+Series I have ordered the laser cut Diana in 1:12 full scale so very excited to get started when it arrives. A quick question while I'm here - does anyone have recommendations for lighting kits that would plug into Australian power? Cheers.