Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    None
  • Real Name
    Jo
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. When I finish my current project (and first house), I'd like to start on another right away. I'm considering a laser cut kit, since they have better reviews, but they cost more and it looks like more of the Greenleaf laser cut kits are in 1:24 size and I would prefer 1:12. Thoughts, opinions, ponderances... on laser cut?
  2. What is the general consensus about hot glue and shingles or trim? These are areas that are tricky for me to clamp or tape. Feel free to point me to an existing topic or article if there is one. I'm planning on storing the finished house in a heated basement and I'm in the Pacific Northwest if that is a factor.
  3. I'm excited about this sofa tutorial: http://thekinfelddollhouse.blogspot.com/2017/09/dollhouse-couchsofa-tutorial.html Its amazing to see the items that can be made with everyday materials like cereal boxes, fabric and paint. I love the idea of cutting up some of my kids' old clothes that can't be passed on to others (because holes or stains) and giving them new life in a dollhouse.
  4. I hadn't heard of this show before. I'm looking forward to going in the future.
  5. Thank you for the shingling details, I will definitely read through them again right before I get started. Another 3 days before the shingles are dried out enough to use (according to the directions).
  6. What are the main things that affect the price of a dollhouse? I saw one posted on Craigslist for $2500, which seems crazy.
  7. Great advice! I'm trying to get a set of furniture my kids can play with in the Storybook Cottage we are building, so I'm all for cheap ideas. Today at my closest "dollar store" (Daiso), I found air dry clay and some little chairs I will use for the dining room. Does anyone have any links to furniture built with popsicle sticks?
  8. Shingles have been dyed and are drying in the basement. I accidentally left them outside overnight, where I was dying them in the backyard, and they got rained on, so the color will probably be lighter than intended. That's Seattle for you: 0% chance of rain means there's still a chance of rain. Do the dyed shingles tend to darken as they dry? If anyone has advice for gluing on shingles, or could direct me to a forum post, I'm all ears!
  9. Does anyone know how to put a bunch of different printables onto one sheet so I can print them off all at once? Or link to an Etsy seller that has already done it? I'm looking for food boxes, contemporary ones that my kids currently eat.
  10. House update for our little Storybook Cottage: We have finished gluing everything together and I've put on two coats of flat white spray paint. We went to Hobby Lobby and bought some finishing materials: RGT grey shingle dye, scrapbook papers for the walls, felt for the carpet, Aleene's quick dry glue, flowers for the flower box, acrylic paints for the furniture and a few bits and bobs. I'm trying to keep the cost down, and probably spent about $75 for the finishing materials (including the two cans of spray paint and original bottle of glue). The kids wanted really wacky colors for the house (son wanted a red roof and yellow walls, and daughter wanted bright blue everything), but we have compromised and the kids can choose all the furniture and decoration colors, and the house will have a grey roof, white exterior, light blue wallpaper and grey carpet. My 7 year old helped me take apart half the shingles this afternoon, and I'll try to get the rest done tonight. That part is fairly tedious. Maybe the whole roof will be tedious.
  11. I'm a Canadian currently living in Washington State. This past weekend I brought out a Storybook Cottage kit that I bought in Canada at a hobby shop almost a decade ago. At the time I bought the kit, my husband and I were newly married, and he was building a model ship. I thought it would be fun to build something at the same time he was doing his ship model. I opened the box, labeled everything and removed and sanded the first handful of pieces, before life got busy and the kit was put away. Back to the present: after moving house three times, including a change of countries, I finally took the dollhouse kit out of the basement and put it on the dining room table. I started working on the kit late on Saturday night. On Sunday morning, my 7 year old son saw the big house pieces punched out and wanted to join me. While I punched out the rest of pieces, he sanded up a storm across the table. We found a video tutorial on YouTube (I had lost the original instruction booklet that came with the kit) and watched it on a tablet, and he dry fit the sections together, and I glued. We worked on the house all day, even as my motivation waned, and I would leave the table to make a cup of tea or do something else, he would keep finding me and asking me to help on "his" house. He worked on the house all the way until his bedtime and when I woke up this morning, I found him standing at the dining room table, sanding the pieces for the roof. He has a lot of patience, and apparently a new hobby as of this weekend.