• Days Won

LeeB last won the day on August 12 2022

LeeB had the most liked content!

139 Excellent

2 Followers

About LeeB

Profile Information

• Interests
    Drawing & painting, Theatre - directing, acting, set & costume design, Travel, Antiques, Gardening, Vintage houses, Reading, History

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Two
  • Real Name
    Lee
  • Country
    United States/Canada

Recent Profile Visitors

639 profile views
  1. I nearly always print my own wallpaper. I find a pattern I like online of life size wallpaper or fabric and copy and paste it at the size I want, matching the repeats, until I fill the page layout. I use drawing paper to print on, since copy paper is so flimsy. The texture and weight make it easy to handle. I spray it with a sealer, like someone said earlier. Then I use regular wallpaper paste on a painted/primed wall. I get exactly what I want that way. No - but I use photo paper to get the glossy tile or parquet floor effect. tI works well. But keep it out of bright light to prevent fading.
  2. Thanks! Start with small changes and before long you will work up to bigger ones. Almost anything is fixable so you don't have to worry about messing up irreversibly. Go for it!
  3. I can't seem to follow directions. I mean I start out following the instructions and then can't resist the temptation to do it my own way. So I gotta bash and add my own personal custom modifications. In the Coventry Cottage, I did the following: I moved the door between the two ground floor rooms closer to the back so there is a wider wall between the two doors. I did this to give me the space in both rooms to place larger pieces of furniture where they wouldn't have fit before. I added a gazebo to the corner of the porch. I had an unfinished wood bird feeder that I bought at a craft store that I intended to make into a miniature gazebo someday. I decided that this would be the perfect time and place. I added half timbering to the second floor exterior and slightly modified the gingerbread in the peaks of the gables to allow the timbers to be more visible. Most significant, I bumped out a shed-style dormer in the upstairs over the porch to give more usable floor space. I discovered that the sloped interior of the roof gave very little headroom and made it impossible to place most furniture at the edges of the space, exce[t directly in front of the windows. S0 - this is what I have done so far. All the structural work is done and I am ready to start furnishing it. I intended from the beginning to make this the Mad Hatter's cottage and tearoom from Alice in Wonderland. I'll start a gallery soon and add more photos once it is furnished.
  4. This is the most incredible creativity! This young lady makes the figures, the settings, and then animates them in stop motion technique.
  5. I have been there. It is great! And there are lots of nice little boutiques and a quaint tea/coffee shop and antique shops nearby in walking distance. Well worth a visit!
  6. That looks HUGE!!! What a wonderful starting point! Have fun!
  7. I'd use a gloss white spray paint. It will probably take several coats to get a smooth even finish, as the first coat will soak in and act as a primer. Sanding with fine sandpaper before the final coat will help get the smooth finish you want.
  8. Or you could flip it to "Nautilus Chambers" - which sounds more like a house or building.
  9. Coral Cove Castle fits the color scheme. And I love the colors you've chosen. Very nicely done!
  10. Since it is a French style, why not use a French word, such as Maison or Chateau - along with another word that could be a place or family name or a descriptive adjective?
  11. LeeB

LeeB

Quirky Cottage - a major bash of an incomplete SW Crafts "Country Estate" kit
  12. LeeB

IMG_8670__1653961988_79943

The lower wallpaper is an adaptation of the Royal Stewart tartan with a pale grey background commissioned by Queen Victoria I found online and printed myself. The border is coats of arms of Irish families. The upper wallpaper is a knock-off of a William Morris design (gift wrap.)
  13. I print a lot of my own wallpaper. I have used glossy photo paper for glazed ceramic tiles but not for wallpaper. which should have a matte finish. What I use for wallpaper is artist's drawing paper in a good heavy weight. The pad I am using now says 70 lb weight. You can buy it in pads of various sizes and qualities (and prices!) I don't buy the expensive stuff - just not the kind made for kids. It works well with standard wallpaper paste and I have not had a problem with it wrinkling or bubbling. I apply it directly to walls that have been primed after spraying with a clear matte sealer. If you do glue it to card stock, as some people do, I would weight it well with books or something while it dries.
  14. Absolutely gorgeous! Can't tell that it's not full size.