• Dollhouse Building Experience
    One
  • Real Name
    Kathleen Horosinski
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

176 profile views
  1. I am now worried that this will not only be my new obsession, but will also my addiction!!! All I do now is think in terms of 1:12 ....hahaha! I am spending more time and money on the Dura-Craft than my own home :-). Miniature needlepoint, miniature crocheted afghans, miniature flower making, miniature painting, and the crafting list goes on!!!! I can see the need for a subdivision of dollhouses!
  2. Gotcha!!!! Duh....thank you! That makes sense to me now. Thank you so very much...I’m out of town right now and can’t wait to get back home so I can proceed measuring and cutting with confidence (operative word)! If I can figure out how to reduce pixels I’ll attach a photo....
  3. You are so very correct about the Dura-Craft having a small footprint....I already have too much furniture and I’ve just begun!!!!
  4. Hi....I had to think about the seven inches for a bit :-). I’ve cut out 5 inches (lengthwise) thus far, thinking I could squeeze in the staircase (I hated losing the floor space!)....however, you are totally spot on about the 7 inches for the dollhouse “believability” factor. Thank you for your guidance! I’m certain I shall have many more questions as I proceed! (Back to my Dremel)
  5. Hi all....I just wanted to introduce myself (I’m obviously new to the group). I am rehabbing/kitbashing my daughter’s Dura-Craft Colonial dollhouse (1987). My father was building it for my then 3 year old daughter (who is now 35!). He passed away suddenly at the age of 65, never completing it. My daughter did play with it, but it was undecorated, furnished with furniture my mother had made/found. I recently retired and dragged it up from the basement....I’ve been “studying” it.... Now, with the support of this site I’m excited to begin!!! I’ve been relaying to friends and family that I have a new obsession!!!! I have a fine arts background and already have a vision as to its appearance but am not confident about the actual mechanics of the rehab. The first thing I’ve done is to begin installation of a curved staircase....I’ve been chipping away enlarging the second floor opening to accommodate the curved railing. I’m saddened that I am losing floor space (I already have too much dollhouse furniture.....I can see that there will be a second dollhouse - the Garfield perhaps? - in my future). I’ve also sawn out the small pieces of wood that represented individual panes (working windows have been ordered). Thank you in advance for your help (I had already posted a question about the curved staircase opening and received a wonderful reception with input), Kathy PS Sorry....I’ve been unable to attach photos due to the pixel sizes :-(....
  6. Hi there...this is the first time that I have written a question. I am currently retrofitting/remodeling (kitbashing :-)) a 35 year old Dura Craft Colonial dollhouse which my parents had built for my daughter. I recently purchased one of the lovely curved staircases to replace the one which had come with the kit. Unfortunately the staircase did not contain information regarding the size of the opening required at the top of the stairs. The original Dura Craft opening is too small. i am concerned that I will make a “huge, irreparable hole” in my attempts to enlarge. Has anyone out there installed one of the curved staircases who can provide some dimensions? Thank you in advance.