Jazz

Silver Member
  • Last visited

5 Neutral

1 Follower

About Jazz

Profile Information

• Interests
    Watercolour painting, motorcycling, making miniatures, creative business writing (copy and marketing), reading and research.

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    None
  • Real Name
    Rosemary
  • Country
    Canada

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. I don't think you should strip it down any further, especially if there is putty. Time to build it up again!
  2. E600? I was wondering. This White Orchid (plastic) was a gift from one of the members of this forum. How she came to give it to me is a very sweet story; I'll tell the story when I begin to put it together. Thank for the rationale behind flat paint finishes. Makes sense, I've been trying to clean the white flat painted trim of this Pierce (which was used by a child from her 8th birthday until when she gave it to me after she turned 16. It's spent some time in a garage too. The trim is grungy but I've cleaned a lot of it nicely now with a bristle paintbrush and some soapy water.
  3. Hi Shareb, Thank you for your suggestions. I'm glad I'm not the only one that isn't a fan of "gingerbread" It all seems a bit much. I like the idea of veneer on cardstock for the floors. Something about adding coverings to a surface before applying it to the house makes me feel it can be reversed more easily if I don't like it. I'll work on the hiding aspect of my rehab work. Stucco, wood putty, moldings, and baseboards. I'm also wondering why people use such a flat finish on the exterior wood walls and trim. I imagine a bit of shine (satin or low gloss) would be nicer and easier to clean. Getting coffee in me ready to start another round of working on this fixer-upper today.
  4. Thanks havanaholly, I can see why you would disassemble and rebuild, and I admit I was tempted. I've already removed many more pieces than I'd planned to - but then my plan was and still is pretty flexible. The floors and most of the walls (not the wallpapered ones though) will likely respond well to a light sanding, and I do like your idea of iron-on wood veneer and other flooring options. I have two very large sheets of dollhouse scale white ceiling tile that simulates the old metal ceilings. I love the way that looks in real life. So today, it's back to the wallpaper removal task. And taking off more of that "gingerbread. I have a lovely new in the box little White Orchid waiting to be built so I want to "practice" on this Pierce - maybe even make it look really good! Thank you again for your suggestions,
  5. Today I finally began. First I tested all the lights with a brand new light bar and happily most of the installed lamps, sconces and chandeliers worked. So they stay. The dead ones I took out. The old light bar was corroded too. I removed anything loose - doors and their frames, interior window frames, and even the entire staircase. It came out in one piece which took some care but I do not like that set of stairs and will buy one that descends into the room which is now huge and spacious. The thick glue on the joins makes me think the builder used a glue gun for some of it. The beautiful door hinges were glued on and the door wouldn't close. The main floor (not the kitchen though) is papered and removing it is proving to be really hard. Vinegar, warm water, gentle peel, and scrape. It's tedious and not very successful. So I'm wondering about sticking painted or papered cardstock over the paper. I want to remove all the white ornate roof decor - is that a good idea? I just find it a bit cartoonish. The floors and ceilings are all the plain wood with a thin coat of what looks like varnish. Any suggestions re simple floor treatments are welcome. There is quite a bit of glue (thick) showing in the wall joins. Should I just put molding over those? I'm seriously considering stucco on the outside to hide the scrapes and gaps and because I don't want to take all the frames off to add the siding. No question - taking it apart is satisfying and good for my newbie confidence. But it's the first time I've been this close to a Greenleaf Dollhouse and I'm wondering how to camouflage or cover all those gaps between the walls and ceilings. Big job! Thanks for any suggestions!
  6. I have a lead on a partially built RGT Victorian Townhouse - opens on the back and partially on the front. It's a very good price. The contact at RGT today said the kit was discontinued some time ago and that I might be able to "bash" another model's addition kit onto it. Before I do that, does anyone have something like this that they would like to sell? Has anyone had any experience with this kit? Thanks, Rosemary
  7. Grazhina, thanks for your suggestion. I get the idea (from your drawing) I just need to be brave!
  8. Hi folks, I've bought a Tennyson fully constructed dollhouse and have seen these lovely buildings with room additions. I've searched for pre-built additions (nope) and plans to DIY, but no luck. Please, does anyone have a lead on a tutorial, guide, printed plan, or similar to help me determine if creating an addition is something I could tackle? Attached is an image of what I bought. It was only $70 Canadian, so I think it's a good deal and not too expensive to risk working on. Thanks in advance, Rosemary
  9. Soapz Heartland took the lead on the answer to my question. Justen Heartland (the spelling is correct if Google is) brass dollhouse furniture circa 1985 is all over eBay, Etsy, and Pinterest. Thanks, everyone who weighed in. There isn't much on Justen himself however the proliferation of brass pieces available makes me feel more comfortable about painting them to suit whatever I want them to fit into. I don't mind one or two brass pieces, but perhaps I could "bash" the others into looking like wood or wicker? I have very little furniture so want to make use of what I find. Thank again,
  10. I've acquired a dozen or so pieces of brass nursery, kitchen, and bistro/cafe furniture. The chairs and tables are curved metal structures with mesh inserts, and the bassinet and carriage, are ornate metal. Does anyone know the history of these pieces? Where and when they were manufactured for example? I've looked everywhere. There are many for sale on Etsy and eBay but I'm more curious about their origin. Thank you.
  11. Thank you jbnmini and Mid-life madness. I'm in transit to Victoria BC and sitting in the Calgary airport for an hour layover. (from Toronto) I couldn't wait to get my computer open to see if there were any messages and there you are! I'll be back home in about 3 weeks and start on the house then. Thank you for your offers and suggestions. Very best, Rosemary
  12. I know what you mean. I was just "dusting" it and tugging gently at wobbly bits. and trying to envision cutting the siding to fit the curves! The loose outside pieces that came off in my hands (the awning sections and the railings) I've tucked away carefully for later repair. I will repaint for sure but rethink the siding. Inside, the light system tapes are in need of something - they are loose and hanging, the tape is dried and curled, and there's no main plug attached to a cord where it is supposed to be, so I can't test them. I do have a new system that I was planning to use for the Westville so if this one doesn't work I'll install the new one. The house is large but I don't like the way the stairs look or where they are located. They are installed tightly so not sure if I can remove them and renovate with slender carved posts and a fancy Newell. And lighter paint. I think the area will look more open if I do that although it does resemble the entrance to the Prince of Whales Hotel in Niagara on the Lake. The wallpaper that is there looks okay but has some loose bits, so it's coming out too! The rest of the structure, especially the foundation, is solid and holding well. Lot's to think about. And lots of work to do! Thanks for your response.
  13. Thank you jbmini, One more question - I'm reading about people adding rooms onto the kits, but I don't see any examples or tutorials. Do you have any suggestions?
  14. Lol! Thanks! Coincidentally I was looking at your name as the result of a search, just as your comment popped up. Now that I'm here, I'll just ask: Is there a way to add a section to the Pierce? have a Serendipity Shed that would make a terrific sunroom/conservatory. Also, I need a pattern to replace a missing piece of the Pierce just above the second story bay window. Thoughts? Images are in my introduction posted today. Thanks for the welcome. Rosemary
  15. Hi, I've been reading this forum's content as an unregistered researcher since February when I first experienced a personal surge of interest in miniatures. This came about as a result of an online auction purchase of an (unseen) Greenleaf Westville Cottage Kit. Still boxed, and I guess vintage (circa 1990) I won the bidding, got it home and peeked inside at the shocking sight of an unassembled dollhouse kit. Yikes. I knew enough not to remove it from the box until I learned what I was supposed to do with it. Quite a lot, it seems. It's mid-April and the kit is not built yet because I can't do the sanding it requires indoors, and of course, being Ontario it's still too cold to work outside. So I started learning how to furnish it, paint it, etc. while I'm waiting. I've been making tiny wooden shelves and boxes from scratch (oh and a fireplace) (learning about tools like miter boxes and saws, pin drills, blades and knives, clamps, and glues) and turned out a surprisingly realistic and fun-to-make array of polymer clay food, bowls, pots, and plates. I also began to purchase new and inexpensive accessories including a tape electric light system and tiny lights - guess I don't need to say tiny anymore - and collect stuff from thrift shops, etc, to repurpose. I bought a gazillion cedar roof tiles and some siding from The Little Dollhouse Company, here in Toronto, and a few other impractical but adorable little things. I'm semi-retired and other than my husband, my motorcycle, and my big standard poodle, I have few demands on my life. Part-time work is copywriting and editing. But it hasn't taken me long to realize that this miniature obsession is way more fun than copywriting. So here I am. Because now I have TWO Greenleaf Dollhouses. Yesterday I came home with an old, pre-loved, fully constructed Pierce dollhouse that needs some TLC. Our dining room table is its new home and we have to eat dinner at the coffee table now. (image below) It's wired and has lots of lights (chandeliers, sconces, lamps, and spares) and only cost $75 Canadian. I forgot to mention, I also acquired a Serendipity Shed kit because, well every woman needs her own shed right? I can make it into a mini motorcycle workshop. I'm going to need lots of practical help, more money, and maybe some therapy! Very best, Rosemary