• Dollhouse Building Experience Five or more
  • Dollhouse Preference I like them both
  • Online Community Building Projects No
  • Digital Camera No
  • Real Name Kells
  • Country United States/Canada

Recent Profile Visitors

432 profile views
  1. I add -Pinterest to nearly all of my Google searches. Removing the clutter of that site always proves helpful in finding what I need.
  2. Grand Denver tour for miniaturists

Thompson's is a good old-fashioned hobby and craft shop that happens to carry miniatures. I don't know if you'll find anything unique there. I don't know what's available in Australia, though. They might have things you can't get at home. Both it and the Denver Museum of Miniatures, Dolls and Toys are not far off Sixth Avenue - the route you would take to get to Rocky Mountain Miniatures in Georgetown - so both are worth a stop. The museum lost its beautiful location near City Park and is now in sort of a strip center. That's a real shame because the house where it had been located was as much worth seeing as anything in it. I'm not sure they're fully set up in their new location but surely will be by next year. They have some beautiful dollhouses. Some of the miniatures and dolls in their permanent collection were donated by my mother. I've considered donating some of my own but they aren't accepting donations (other than money, of course!), and sadly I doubt they're going to have space for any more large dollhouses in their new location. Rocky Mountain Miniatures is not huge but she (I think her name is Gale?) buys collections, so in addition to newly manufactured pieces available anywhere, she frequently has one-of-a-kind and vintage pieces. I've purchased a few rare Reminiscence pieces there (my favorite miniatures to collect) and some artisan-created pieces. Be warned her prices are all over the map. Some things are a bargain, others are, "Can you hold this while I apply for a second mortgage?" She'll haggle a bit if you're polite about it. Even if you don't find anything to buy at her shop, Georgetown is absolutely worth the trip. It is considered Colorado's best-preserved and most authentic mountain town. Only about an hour from Denver, it is a popular day trip. You may want to ride the Loop Railroad while there. Be sure to wander a lot and see the lovely Victorian homes all over town. Wear comfortable shoes. Once you get off the main street, many roads are dirt or gravel and the sidewalks - where they exist at all - are a horror.   While not strictly dollhouse-related, the History Colorado Center has a newly restored diorama of Denver as it looked in 1860 that is worth seeing. It's about ten-feet by ten-feet (I'm guessing) and is incredibly detailed. I think it's 1/35th scale? They have amazing dioramas of Mesa Verde too, but I don't know if those are currently on display as I haven't seen them in ages. They may be undergoing restoration. You may want to ask a docent about them if you go. If you need any tips on non-miniature things to see and do in Denver, I would be happy to help you create a uniquely Coloradan experience without sending you traipsing all over the state, lol.
  3. Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

Thank you, I do love it but it is a real thorn in my side. Open to the sides and to the rear, it almost requires a room of its own to view it unless I shove the facade up against a wall. :(
  4. Poppy Fields.jpeg

Impressed by all of them but like Shareb, poppies are a personal favorite so I really love this one.
  5. I will be leaving you guys at the end of September!

The extra details do ease my mind. I guess I conjured up images of you living like a bag lady out in the woods where no one would find you for years if, god forbid, something should happen.
  6. Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

All the suggestions for how to get this by my husband are good ones, and I've actually tried some in the past. "It's a bargain and I can sell it for a profit!" He knows I never will, lol. I would love to claim the high ground and say I could never be devious and deceive my husband but this is miniatures we're talking about. All's fair! If that house weren't open to the rear, the only post I'd have made would have been, "Look what I got!!" If a house can't sit flush against the wall, I can no longer consider it. Sucks, I know, but leaving walk-around space to view a house just isn't possible for me anymore. :(
  7. Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

Can I ever identify. The expanses of roof on this one have stood un-shingled for a good eight years or more. I just can't bring myself to tackle it!  
  8. Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

I'll be kicking myself if I don't; my husband might kick me out of the house if I do. I can see it now. Me, wrapped in blankets, pushing a shopping cart down the street with a Lace House sticking out of it. A passerby kindly remarks, "What a cute Victorian dollhouse." I scream angrily in reply, "IT'S CARPENTER GOTHIC!!" as I continue shuffling away, muttering to myself. It's a tough call but I do like living indoors . . .
  9. Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

WHY OH WHY DO I LOOK AT CRAIGSLIST?!? Only $200!! I've always wanted one. I hope someone buys it before I talk myself into it. https://denver.craigslist.org/tag/d/denver-large-hand-built-victorian-style/6969033251.html
  10. Lid/roof on burrow

D'oh, never mind, I see it on top in an earlier picture!
  11. Lid/roof on burrow

Love this and thank you for showing the progress of how you got the walls to look like this. Maybe I skimmed too quickly but I am confused by the mentions of a removable lantern?
  12. Purchased bridle

I have purchased a number of things from Texas Tiny over the years. Never disappointed in their items. As always, your work looks great.
  13. @havanaholly the dolls throughout the exhibits reminded me a bit of the dolls you've made for your creations. They were adorable!
  14. I will be leaving you guys at the end of September!

It sounds like the difference is a savings of $500/month? Is that worth risking one's life? I know we don't know each other and this is absolutely none of my business, but your plan terrifies me. I've read a number of your posts, you have assisted me with several questions on this forum, and you sound like a genuinely wonderful lady. Forgive me for saying, but I am more than a little frightened for you. You will be in my thoughts.
  15. A Very Brady Renovation

I read that the house doesn't have an attic so they're recreating Greg's attic bedroom in the basement. They're using a fake window with a view to the treehouse in the backyard, I think? Discussions about false windows for dollhouses and room boxes have come up a few times on this forum so yes, I agree, it is VERY dollhouse-like!