Kells

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Kells

1. P.S., Emily, I am encouraged to see that someone else has actually done this, thank you!!
  2. I have a house that won't fit through any standard-sized interior door. What a nightmare. It resides in the garage, gathering dust. I can't post pics of it, sorry; I signed an NDA. A talented craftsman built a full-on 1:12 replica of a Victorian house museum and then donated it to them. 7,000 hand-laid bricks and by my calculation (multiplying pieces per square inch) over 100,000 pieces of parquet. Guess what, Victorians had narrower doors than the modern day, and they couldn't even get it indoors! It languished in storage for a few years until a docent offered to give it to me. They really should not have given it away (hence the NDA), but it was a stone around their necks. Stupidly, I gleefully took it only to find out it would have to live in my dining room or living room because I didn't measure first!! Not going to happen.
  3. Once I have it in my possession, I am going to have a better look at it to see if I can carefully saw out those arches. I was thinking of doing leaded fanlights to replace them. If I can clear the arches out, I know I can pull that off. I have given a lot of thought to doing that to the windows on another house. This one: https://forum.greenleafdollhouses.com/gallery/image/137269-03-southfacadejpg/ Look at the windows on the dormers. They are perfect. The windows on the main house, however, are just about the cheapest pieces of junk you can buy! I HATE THEM. If I can saw out all those crappy mullions and muntins, I could rebuild the sashes properly to match the dormer windows, and put them inside the existing frames. If I can fix those awful windows, I'm confident I could fix these!
  4. Oh, and I am going to have a go at casting one of my matching Lawbre interior doors so I can stick false doors on the walls between the house and the addition. The chateau is fully wired. I'm not sawing through wiring and having to re-do all of that just for the sake of having a few doors that actually open!!
  5. Me and Photoshop again, lol. Fixed what I perceive are some flaws. Cast plaster arches on the second floor draw some attention away from those Houseworks "Palladian" (they AREN'T Palladian) arches below. I think I can pry off the fronts of those very British dormers and put on the facades from these. The second floor doors open into space. A good way for mini-residents to crack their skulls! I just stuck on some railing but those three second floor doors will have Juliet balconies. Added an addition. I think the extra length helps balance out the chateau's height. It could also do with another bedroom. And while I'd normally just say the missing kitchen is in the invisible half of the house, haha, there is nothing prettier than a Provence kitchen, so that will be on the first floor of the addition. I'm looking forward to doing that! Plus I have a couple boxes of that matching Lawbre Lannon stone already so why not?
  6. I'm going for it. Agreed to finish the exterior of my French Quarter house and trade for this one. This chateau is OOAK, finely made, and has some pretty costly interiors whereas, with all due respect to RGT, my French Quarter is just a modified mass-produced house. I can always do another if I feel I must (likely won't happen). Not sure when the transfer will take place. I went through some things and found I had more of a head start on furnishing than I thought I did so that helps. Quite a lot of extremely dark Bespaq mahogany pieces and another set in "White Oak" (it's a very weird finish), both of which I detest, so I don't mind one bit painting those! Some Country Cottage-style upholstered pieces and hand-painted case goods I think will work nicely mixed in here and there. I won't distress anything so far as to look derelict but this chateau definitely won't be filled with Louis the Pick-a-Number gilded finery. Anyway, I'm excited!
  7. Easily found. Two awesomely talented members did San Franciscans in a style I love and would love to try in a chateau like this one. @Samusa and @Qubanqtee
  8. You are really on top of things! I just sent you a PM about it. Thank you!
  9. Started a new thread. If a moderator wants to move all relevant posts from here to there, please do. https://forum.greenleafdollhouses.com/topic/45986-french-chateau/
  10. It's really gnawing at me that I got off topic in the Ebay / Craigslist thread when I should have started a new thread so here it is. It was relevant to that topic when I first posted the original Craigslist link but not at this point! It's all for this house in case you missed it. https://forum.greenleafdollhouses.com/gallery/album/8702-french-chateau/
  11. Posted the pics I have here: The four chandeliers need some repair work. Just missing crystals and the like, but they're all by Phyllis Tucker so worth the effort to repair for sure! I will look into that book, Elsbeth, thank you! I'd love to do this up more Gustavian with painted furniture in greys and creams. Someone here did one (I think a Duracraft San Franciscan?) like that, and I think it's absolutely wonderful! If anyone knows who that is, please share a link to their gallery. The only things I have that *MIGHT* sorta-kinda work in this house is my mom had a bunch of Bespaq chinoiserie stuff. Why, I have no idea, she never used it. I only found it after I had to sort through her things; I'd never even seen it. My taste runs more toward run-down farmhouse so those were right out, haha. Found some blurry pics on-line, it's all of these pieces. I probably should have started a different thread for all of this, I feel like I'm hijacking this category. It's just that I shared the original link here. Sorry everyone!