Kells

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Kells

1. It might be monitors showing colors differently but the house is mint green. At least, mine and all the others I've seen are. Here are some pics that show the open sides. The first is the front open, second is the rear, third is the side of the roof. I'm sure you can tell by the plans but the roof opens on the right side of the house, if you were looking at it from the front. There is one thing about this floor plan that bugs me to no end and that is the bathroom. Look at the second pic, the upstairs bedroom on the right, just past the bed. That's the bathroom beyond it. It's the one bathroom in the house, with a hall door. Fine, except the only way to access it is through the master bedroom. There's a big opening between the bathroom and the bedroom. Great, so if one were actually using that bathroom, they'd be on full view to that bedroom! I get that it's a dollhouse, which requires substantial suspension of disbelief, but that still rubs me the wrong way. Were I to build it from scratch, I'd enclose the bathroom properly and hinge that side wall for bathroom access.
  2. That's the "Remember When" dollhouse from a plan book by Phyllis Jellison. The book is still available. I rarely see the houses for sale though. I've had mine for ages and I think I've only seen another, besides this one, twice in the last ten years. I find it funny that all I've seen, mine and this one included, all followed the plan book to the letter. They're all the same color, they have the same contact paper printed vinyl fake wood flooring, etc. Almost no deviations from the instructions whatsoever. It's a charming house though. I've decided to let mine stand exactly as is, printed vinyl flooring included.
  3. $1500 French chateau. The Lawbre library wall, fireplace wall, interior doors and mouldings would have cost at least as much as they're asking for the house. I don't get why one would build a beautiful house like this but then cheap out so badly on the exterior windows and doors. https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/art/d/irvine-your-new-doll-house-mansion/7388351761.html
  4. I've heard of the Gettysburg, as well as the Antietam, but I couldn't have told you what either of them looked like. Those dormers aren't Hofco. Or at least the windows for sure aren't. Whoever put those little square windows in big dormers needs a lesson in architectural design. Hideous.
  5. And build an addition onto your home to house it!
  6. Kells

myclay.jpg

Everything looks good enough to eat!
  7. I am unaware of a price guide for older Bespaq pieces, but IMO it would be pretty useless anyway. Prices fluctuate and you never know what they'll bring. Someone looking for a specific piece to complete a set may be willing to pay through the nose for a piece that no one else would give twenty bucks for. Your best bet is following Bespaq on Ebay. You can check "Completed Listings" under Advanced Search, but that is clogged up with ALL completed listings, including items that didn't sell. Don't get carried away by the asking prices on some items. Remember, Asking is Not Getting. I could ask any outrageous amount I please, but items are only worth what people will pay. If you're looking to sell your items, several sellers start their Bespaq pieces at $9.99 and let the bidding decide. FWIW, I've never seen one sell for that; the bidding always goes up. I'll admit, however, I don't follow every auction, that just seems to be the trend I've noticed. After you've made five posts here, you can start a gallery and post photos of your pieces. Perhaps members can help you identify them. It does help to give more detail about pieces you're selling. Descriptions like "Bespaq Wexburgh Chair in Walnut" or "Bespaq Mahogany Mayfair Parlor Set" often help a piece sell for a higher amount than do the most basic descriptions.
  8. Ever met your match in rehabbing a dollhouse? I have now! Hubs was ready and willing to go to town on my Stanley Colonial with a jigsaw and circular saw. Feel free to have a good laugh at my expense at my grandiose plans for that house HERE. It can't be done. I bought a copy of the original plan book off Ebay and it's even worse than we thought! The ceilings are too low to handle that lovely arched door. I thought I could heighten the entryway by opening up the stairwell but no, not unless the mini people are going to jump across a chasm to get into their bedrooms! That one I figured out just by looking at it, duh. The interior wall layout and the center chimney (which extends right up through every floor on through the roof) make it pretty much impossible to lower the roof to a 30-degree pitch. Okay, I guess I could leave it as is even though it will look wrong. But wait, there's more! I will spare you the annoying twelve different mock-ups I've done trying to figure out what I could do with that house. Only one of them works, and that is leaving it as a colonial. Which sucks, because I already have a couple of those and don't need another. Below are pics of what it looks like as it stands. Don't blame me for the cheap furniture and crappy decor, it came that way. The last pic is what I'm thinking I *MIGHT* do to it. The rear facade has that layout with the door off-set, so I'd make that the front to get this look. I can do that finish, and making it a very Early American Colonial would be a pretty simple fix (famous last words). @Medievalwas kind enough to tell me how she did the leaded windows on her lovely Pierce rehab. Printed diamond-paned window acetate is cheap and I'd only need four or five, then doctor them up with Medieval's method for a better leaded glass look. Easier than changing the opening size on 32 windows. THIRTY-TWO! Anyway, I'm disheartened. Also disappointed now that the hubs has shrugged it off. He liked the idea of a Mallorcan house but couldn't care less about another Colonial. (sigh) Oh well, I have plenty of other projects to help me forget about this one for awhile. Just felt like whining. Haha (sort of)
  9. I love Hofco houses, they just might be my favorites to work on. That's a great price. Spkg of great prices, here's an RGT Queen Anne for $600. A far cry from the one in their shop for $7800. https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/clt/d/torrance-queen-anne-dollhouse/7386252947.html
  10. Since I mentioned it, I cut the doors out of the frames of an actual photo and stuck a fake kitchen and bathroom behind them, just to see how it might look.
  11. Just for grins, here's what sticking photos of a kitchen and bathroom behind false doors might look like. In fact, I'd probably use these photos of the kitchen and bathroom. Use real door casings and wainscoting, obviously. A whole fake wall would look, well, FAKE!
  12. Kells

Westerfeld House.jpg

I've seen pictures of that mini house but never a video, thanks! Amazing detail. I can't do that well in 1/12th!
  13. Kells

Westerfeld House.jpg

I should clarify that the only one giving me distress over color choices is the Barstow. I would never paint the Vollmer. I love it in the shellaced wood just as it stands.
  14. Kells

Westerfeld House.jpg

I just put up a comparison of all three so you could see them together.
  15. Kells

Comparison.jpg

A comparison of the Vollmer and Barstow Belle to the Westerfeld house.
  16. If I do the Vollmer as the boarding house, it has a small 1 BR and an even smaller studio apartment on the lower level. Both it and the Barstow would have a former greenhouse converted to a studio apt / artist's loft up on the roof. I've given thought to just putting false doors on the back and pretending the kitchens and baths are in the invisible part of the house, haha. Would spare me from having to do a bunch of kitchens and bathrooms!!
  17. An unattached small addition on the back solves the problem of how to give each apartment a kitchen and bathroom. I've envisioned a Depression Era boarding house project for so long, I really hated the idea of giving it up. Although, I may still decide to ditch this one and make the Vollmer House into a boarding house, since that's exactly what it was from 1876 to 1967!
  18. Left side labeled. Crazy as it sounds, I've crafted stories for each tenant and planned their decor accordingly. I hope I'm not the only one who goes that far!
  19. Right side labeled for apartments. Rooftop greenhouse artist's loft studio apartment not shown.
  20. How this house would look if I put a kitchen & bath addition on the rear. And that would be about as simple as it looks.