Kells

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Kells

1. Kells

Westerfeld House.jpg

Sometimes I can be so dense. If I have to paint over all of that glaring "Hospital White" trim anyway, then why am I keeping it white?? If the only mint green I'd keep are the minor accents on window casings, then why am I struggling to plan around it instead of just getting rid of it?? Ta-da, meet the Westerfeld House, aka the former Russian Embassy in San Francisco. I've found my new color scheme, and one I can actually get excited about!! 😃
  2. Spkg of yellows that look like the surface of the sun, that would be our bedroom. I think it's called Naples yellow, from the lemon yellow in Majolica. The baseboard, chair rail and crown moulding are all bright white. They always say paint your bedroom a restful color. Why, I can't see it when I'm asleep! But when the morning sun hits that yellow and white, BAM! you are awake. It's so cheerful and sunny, and the cherry wood furniture looks great against it. Most people would probably loathe it but we both absolutely love it.
  3. Likely everyone knows this already but I'll say it anyway. Never buy from a seller with Zero feedback. I did once and never got the item, never a response from the seller, nothing. Both Ebay and PayPal replied to my claim with a response that basically said, "Sucks to be you!" Fortunately, I had paid with a credit card (always use a credit card on Ebay for precisely this reason!), and my credit card company reversed the charge to PayPal immediately. That caught PayPal's and Ebay's attention and then they were all over it because they were the ones out the money. At that point I didn't care though. Let them sort out their loss with that fraudulent seller, I was done.
  4. Kells

Front Exterior

I like very much the brick showing through the stucco.
  5. Kells

Top interior level

That is so clever! I love how it looks.
  6. Last sample for awhile. Ralph Lauren's Golden Buttermilk per suggestion by @sage minis, thanks!
  7. Just gave Ralph Lauren's Golden Buttermilk a try. It might be too tan, but that could just be my monitor. I'll put it up but then I better stop choking the galleries, haha.
  8. Thought the navy blue was too close to the teal. Love the red but I'm already doing a house in nearly the same color. Plus red and green is probably a bit too "Merry Christmas!"
  9. I tried multiple golds and yellows, from butter yellow to honey. Too bright, too dark, too wrong in some way. These were the only two I thought worked but I'll keep looking. I am not putting up all my horrible trial colors, they are hideous, but I'll upload two more.
  10. Mom had quite a collection. I'd give up every bit of it to have her back. As for Franklin Mint, she also had the Rose Cottage and the Hummingbird cottage, both also still in their original boxes! The one she didn't have is the one I like most, the Heartland Hollow. For some unknown reason she had all the contents for it but not the house itself! Weird. All of that is going into my farmhouse. The contents from this house are 1930s and are what I intended to put into the 1930s-era Barstow Boarding House if I decide to do that project.
  11. Cream Gold vs. Dorset Gold
  12. Kells

Color Combination.jpg

Thank you for that! I really am a bit lost on this. I tried a lighter gold, Pantone Cream Gold, but thought it might be too bright? I'll put them side-by-side for comparison, coming right up.
  13. Had to share this because it sent me into a fit of giggles. Here's how you know you have too many dollhouses. I thought and thought how to turn the Barstow into a Manhattan-style Brownstone since the Vollmer House is San Franciscan. "Remove the tower, simplify the trims, do all of that and the windows in sandstone..." Then my helpful albeit smart-alecky husband pipes up and says, "Didn't your mom already have a brownstone you've got out in the garage?" Why yes she did and it's never even been out of the box, DERP! LOL
  14. Kells

Color Combination.jpg

If anyone would care to offer an opinion, I'd love to hear it! I've long wanted to turn the Barstow Belle into a 1930s-era boarding house. Widow fell on hard times, had to convert her old San Francisco mansion to a rooming house. I hate the thought of abandoning that project, as I've visualized every detail for so long and I love the idea! One of the things I've struggled with for a very long time, however, is the colors on the house. The teal panels, mint green trim, and burgundy window sashes are already done. And so well done that I hate to change them! The current white is too glaringly bright, so I'll soften that. The main body of the house, however, is what's really been giving me fits. I've mocked up pink, lavender, plum, coral, forest green, navy blue, tan.... Any color experts say complements teal or mint, and all a major yuck, IMO. But I like this gold. Or at least hate it less than all the other options, haha. If anyone cares to offer an opinion, I am all ears!
  15. Kells

Condobed Jun2020.jpg

You have some really beautiful pieces of furniture and accessories throughout your houses!
  16. Even N scale is too big?? **clunk** head>desk In that case, I believe I have been overthinking this problem. I have a large painting in an ornate frame that I cut out from a museum postcard. It's 6" high but on a back wall, unless you reach in and touch it, you seriously cannot tell it isn't a 3-dimensional frame. Any minute detail is going to be lost in 1:288 scale anyway. Did a quick mock-up in Photoshop starting with a photo of tree bark. I'm thinking I'll just print this, wrap it around a dowel, stick it in a far corner and call it done!