Kells

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Kells

1. Proof of just how out of my depth I am! I mentally converted to what 1/12th within 1/12th would be, but not 1/24th. What would that be anyway, 1:288 scale? Good luck decorating inside of that! At this point I'm thinking I'll just keep a lookout for a nice thick branch about an inch in diameter (equivalent to 24" in 1/24th of 1/12th??), cut it about 1.5" in length (3-feet high at that scale?), and then just glue some N-scale windows and a door onto it. Not even kidding. Hearts for all of you, thanks for the help!
  2. I haven't seen that project before. I missed most every post last year. Wasn't a good year! It's very cute and has great ideas. I'd have to scale those ideas down to 1/12th of 1/12th though, as it will be a dollhouse inside a dollhouse. That's adorable, I like it. I'm pretty decent with paperclay, I could probably pull off faux bark. Michael's has wood disks about 3" in diameter, the right size for the floors. The exterior walls could be thin, bendable plywood or even just posterboard. Grandt Line doors and windows for N-scale or HO-scale model railroad buildings might work. I will have to give this some thought. Okay, a lot of thought. Any scale apart from 1/12th and I am fairly lost!
  3. I don't think this belongs in General Mini Talk so I invite a moderator to move it to where they think it should be. I'm working on a gambrel inspired by my great-grandmother's house in the Easton's Point section of Newport, RI. Not making much progress though; this house is giving me fits like no other! At any rate, one of her possessions that I loved was a tree stump house. I don't know what else to call it. It was probably in 1/24th scale. Three stories, quite large, two rooms per floor, housed a family of cute mice characters, furnished with that post-WWII folk-art painted German furniture I'm sure you've all seen. My great-grandmother had made little quilts, curtains, other furnishings made of twigs, and accessories such as mice would have made from found items (think The Borrowers): buttons for plates, thimble for a stew pot, bottle cap for a frying pan. You get the idea. I suppose that little stump house is why I enjoy seeing other people's creativity on this forum in making whimsical houses! I would absolutely love to have a teeny-tiny 1/144th version of this for my "inspired-by" (can't say replica) of her home. I can't find one, but then I don't even really know what to search for! I don't even know if such a thing exists. The original probably got sold off at a yard sale or auction after she passed (at 106-years old!!!), more's the pity. If anyone ever comes across such a thing in their travels through the smaller scales of miniatures, please do let me know. It was one of her treasures and I would so very much like to have one in the house in her memory. It looked something like this, from an Ebay listing. And before you suggest I make one myself, be aware I wouldn't have the slightest clue even how to begin! https://www.ebay.com/itm/132690700959
  4. Oooo, nice!! The Elliot Bay is my favorite of the Victorian Times houses, and that is saying something because I love them all. I had the Joseph P. Angel house and the Lacamas Lake house, both in shell form. Raided them for all the furniture, lights and components that came with then sold both shells for a tidy profit. Years later, I still kick myself for getting rid of the Lacamas. IDIOT IDIOT IDIOT! I look forward to watching your progress on this one. It is such a lovely house!
  5. LOL! Same. Hubs and I never fight but the closest we ever got to an argument was this: He: "Why do you watch all those decorating shows when you never use those decorating ideas?" Me, instant snap back: "Why do you watch all those cooking shows when you never use those recipes?" Anywho, this does sound very fun, I hope there is some way we in the States get to watch it!
  6. Kells

P1050798.JPG

Delightful, as always.
  7. Thank you! TBH it makes me want that house now so I can put that addition on myself! Not that I have a place for it. Funny, I recently mentioned Upstairs-Downstairs. I see I forgot to mention that I'm putting a door into the kitchen side of my house for exactly the reasons you mentioned. There's a window across from the basement staircase (link below) that will be easily cut out for a side door into the kitchen. I grew up in an old house that had a service entrance and even a servant's staircase. Not that we had servants! The servant would have been me. ("Kells! Wash the dishes already!" "Yeessss, Mommmmm....") But that thing sure made it convenient to slip out the back kitchen door to get up to no good, haha. https://forum.greenleafdollhouses.com/gallery/image/142190-left-side-labeledjpg/
  8. That's an inarguable point for sure. For 2/3 the cost of an HOM highboy, with RL you get the whole bedroom! That's why I was hoping some of their kits weren't made from thin balsa wood. So disappointed. 🙁
  9. Thank you both, but dang dang dang! I was hoping maybe their Queen Anne and Country collections were a step up from the norm. I did one of their living rooms too. Covered the sofa in thin glove leather and the wing chair in suede. They turned out surprisingly nice and perfect for a log cabin. But the tables and especially the secretary desk in that kit, good lord, worst pieces of junk I've ever dealt with.
  10. Did Realife make two different quality levels of kits? I've built two - that paneled Victorian/Country-ish bathroom set you've probably all seen, and the Victorian bedroom set. Really, REALLY displeased with having to cut the badly die-cut pieces out of extremely poor quality wood. All the pieces I made from those kits are long since history. HOWEVER, I recently saw a pic somewhere of the kit pieces inside a box and they looked more like House of Miniatures kits. I was quite surprised, as that was certainly not my experience. Did Realife have a "Collector's Edition" higher price-point or something like that of better quality, or did they improve their kits in later years? Does anyone know?
  11. Kells

Interior

They say it's a fine line between crazy and creative, but I am certain you have not crossed that line yet. Your creativity is impressive.
  12. Kells

Front view

I was thinking Mrs. Mouse or your shop owner - they seem the type who'd enjoy having a greenhouse - but your idea is better. Those bears need to give the bees a reason to stick around to keep making honey!
  13. Kells

Interior

Fast food sauce containers, right? Very creative, I would never (and have never!) thought of that.
  14. Oops, my faulty memory, I paid $45 for that house. Anywho.... Someone up in Boulder must be narrowing down their collection. Little Orphan Annie House for $400 Newport for $375 Alison Jr. for $295 Unknown but my favorite of the lot for $125 Tried to embed a pic for each but since I'm getting the "don't hold your breath, babe!" interminable spinner AS USUAL, I am past bothering.
  15. Damn this category, it sent me down the rabbit hole of Craigslist this morning! Best bargain of the year IMO, a Walmer Nob Hill for only $100!! https://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/bab/d/winder-doll-house/7362071060.html For point of reference, this was the dollhouse model featured in an episode of Friends. I have never, not once, seen one for sale before.
  16. $1500? Sure she did. Maybe for a Lawbre farmhouse, which I would love to have but not for $1500. Most people think a farmhouse is a farmhouse. I'll admit mine was a rare bargain, so don't hold your breath for $35 (I hope it happens for you though!). I *might* pay upwards of $150 but that would be the most I'd go. I just had another look at mine and realized the one on that listing has the wrap-around porch. Mine doesn't, so it's the less expensive model. Not that I care, since mine has a kitchen addition on the side, which the porch would interfere with anyway.
  17. Not to belabour a point (too late, Kells) but I simply had to fix that shabby edit. I fixed the windows, carried over the trim, and added a little side door, which I love there. This one is a bit less "use your imagination." Sorry, I am just major OCD that way, haha.
  18. **choke** NO, $500 is not a fair price. I have that house and I paid $35 for it off Craigslist. Hofco houses are my favorites, but they're not that rare. Keep looking, something will come up.
  19. Funny, I just came from RGT's website. Got an email from them this morning that all orders over $100 are 20% off. Enter code FALL2021 at check-out. Anyway, when you say from left to right, I assume that's looking at the rear of the house so I went with that. You have to worry about the hinged dining room wall and make sure you don't obstruct that. That means not just putting something in front of it (I know you'd hardly do that!), but also leaving enough room for it to swing open. I don't know how long that side wall is between the rear of the house and the dining room bump-out, but most additions may be too deep. You'll have to let the add-on stick out beyond the rear of your house. I've done it (and currently doing it again on one of my houses!), and IMO it just adds interest. I like it! Whatever you do, do not attach it to the house. Obviously fill in the gap between the foundation boards, make it match, but let it just sit next to the house. The QA is already huge and you are going to have one heck of a time moving it if you attach an extension to one side. You can also use fake doors (love those!) so you wouldn't even have to cut door openings, not that that's difficult. You need something substantial enough to balance out the size of that house. Personally, I would go with this one, but first check measurements to make sure it doesn't extend above your eave line: https://www.realgoodtoys.com/collections/1-inch-scale-design-families-dollhouse-additions/products/new-haven-2-story-dollhouse-addition-kit That angled front works to echo the big tower on the other side, plus the bay of the dining room that will be right in front of it. The two-story height makes it look like it belongs, which you may not get if you stick a stubby little 1-story addition on the side. And you get the added bonus of a sitting room or nice big bathroom off the bedroom (I assume it's a bedroom?) above the kitchen. Remember you can order it with windows to match the rest of the house. Just tell jennifer@realgoodtoys.com you want to swap out for those. There will likely be an upgrade charge but it should be cheaper than buying them outright. I didn't swap out all the windows, obv., but it would look like this:
  20. Too busy for a blog or website. Said has pics on Facebook page. No link to said Facebook page given. I'm not replying to ask for it. EDIT: @Mid-life madnessThe curtness of my reply was not directed at you. I'm just a bit peeved by the unhelpful, curt reply I received from the seller.
  21. I'm not bidding, much as I'd love to have it. The pub sold for $1,600. A bit much for my purse! I think I will ask the seller if there's a link to past works. I'll post it if there is.
  22. This is amazing work!! I wish this seller linked to a blog in his/her listings so I could have another look at the French Quarter pub they sold last year. It was as incredible as this one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/363540100520
  23. The window in the dormer is unpainted bare wood. The as-found pics show the house with its original white windows, but those seemed to stick out like a sore thumb with the other two colors.
  24. The floor is beautiful! I think you made the right choice skipping wainscoting. It could lead a viewer's eye away from the floors and detract/distract more than enhance.