Kells

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Image Comments posted by Kells

1. Funny how the obvious occurs to a person. I was thinking it would be nice to have an exposed stone wall in the kitchen addition. Oh, like, perhaps the stone wall that's already on that side of the chateau? Yeesh, pretty dense of me to consider building a stone wall to cover up a stone wall! (bops self in head)

2. Going through my Photoshop folder. Man, I have come up with some real stinkers! But I like this one. Always wanted to do a Portuguese house with their famous azulejos tiled exteriors. Never found a house that worked for that until this one. It's the Longford by Dolls Houses Direct. Never ever going to do this project but I do love the idea!

3. I recently mentioned how much I hate the windows on the main house and then remembered I'd done a Photoshop job to fix them. Forgot I'd added the columns I'm not using off my Rosedawn. Probably won't do this to this house but what the heck, here's my shabby mock-up since I had it anyway.

4. 50 minutes ago, fov said:

If you really hate those Palladian windows, you might be able to achieve an effect like the plaster pediments on those windows without having to remove them. You'd just have to break off the little pieces of wood, and then slip an appropriately shaped embellishment in the semi-circle area. Here's how I did something similar on the Victorianna: https://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=10101

(I didn't check the photos to see how those windows are finished on the inside, so that could be an issue.)

P.S., Emily, I am encouraged to see that someone else has actually done this, thank you!!

13 minutes ago, fov said:

Okay, I just looked at the other pictures, and my idea wouldn't work because the windows are already finished inside. But I had another idea, what if you removed the wood pieces in the arched part of the window and added stained glass?

Once I have it in my possession, I am going to have a better look at it to see if I can carefully saw out those arches. I was thinking of doing leaded fanlights to replace them. If I can clear the arches out, I know I can pull that off.

I have given a lot of thought to doing that to the windows on another house. This one:

https://forum.greenleafdollhouses.com/gallery/image/137269-03-southfacadejpg/

Look at the windows on the dormers. They are perfect. The windows on the main house, however, are just about the cheapest pieces of junk you can buy! I HATE THEM. If I can saw out all those crappy mullions and muntins, I could rebuild the sashes properly to match the dormer windows, and put them inside the existing frames. If I can fix those awful windows, I'm confident I could fix these!

6. Oh, and I am going to have a go at casting one of my matching Lawbre interior doors so I can stick false doors on the walls between the house and the addition. The chateau is fully wired. I'm not sawing through wiring and having to re-do all of that just for the sake of having a few doors that actually open!!

7. Me and Photoshop again, lol. Fixed what I perceive are some flaws. Cast plaster arches on the second floor draw some attention away from those Houseworks "Palladian" (they AREN'T Palladian) arches below.

I think I can pry off the fronts of those very British dormers and put on the facades from these.

The second floor doors open into space. A good way for mini-residents to crack their skulls! I just stuck on some railing but those three second floor doors will have Juliet balconies.

Added an addition. I think the extra length helps balance out the chateau's height. It could also do with another bedroom.

And while I'd normally just say the missing kitchen is in the invisible half of the house, haha, there is nothing prettier than a Provence kitchen, so that will be on the first floor of the addition. I'm looking forward to doing that! Plus I have a couple boxes of that matching Lawbre Lannon stone already so why not?

8. One of my favorite kitchens in my dollhouses. That Bespaq set is probably too fine for what would actually be in a house like this, but I like it in this room. The house has some very obviously handmade details, lacking fine mouldings and trims, but I love that about it.

9. I don't know if this will show up very well in this picture, but the house is getting pretty long in the tooth. I love the natural aging, which you may be able to see on the siding and the back door. The worse it gets, the more I love it. I've done aging techniques many times but haven't touched this house; this is all the real effects of age on a house that is probably over 40 years old at this point.

10. 2 hours ago, Kells said:

I've given thought to just putting false doors on the back and pretending the kitchens and baths are in the invisible part of the house, haha. Would spare me from having to do a bunch of kitchens and bathrooms!!

Since I mentioned it, I cut the doors out of the frames of an actual photo and stuck a fake kitchen and bathroom behind them, just to see how it might look.

11. 29 minutes ago, sage minis said:

Generous apartments - much "bigger" than the one we lived in - in S.F.  - for 2 years.  (Was the lower floor of a Victorian.)

If I do the Vollmer as the boarding house, it has a small 1 BR and an even smaller studio apartment on the lower level. Both it and the Barstow would have a former greenhouse converted to a studio apt / artist's loft up on the roof.

I've given thought to just putting false doors on the back and pretending the kitchens and baths are in the invisible part of the house, haha. Would spare me from having to do a bunch of kitchens and bathrooms!!