Lula

Silver Member
  • Last visited

Posts posted by Lula

1. 7 minutes ago, KellyA said:

For your shutters, those are Houseworks louvered shutters. You're in luck, that house uses standard components. Look for Houseworks interior doors. Or really almost any manufacturer. Most of them (except some English sellers) use standard size. I think 3 x 7? I'd have to look it up.

The other finishes depend on what look you're going for. You can get as simple or elaborate as you like on nearly everything. If going for the full-on plantation look, those usually had denticulated crown moulding. Or dentil moulding, depending on what people like to call it. The first floors were pretty fancy. There are a lot of cast plaster mouldings available that can be real eye-poppers.

The second floors were always simpler, so more basic (and less expensive!) trims would be appropriate. If you want to be really super historically accurate, the interior walls on those houses were often just painted. That look of wallpapers on every inch of wall space came with the Victorians. That and the fact that new glues were invented after those homes were popular. The old method for affixing wallpaper was a mixture that used eggs. Greek Revivals were most common in the South. Guess how bad egg-based glue started to smell in the deep South's humidity? LOL

Anyway, off on a tangent there, as usual for me. Lots of possibilities with that one. We'd all love to hear your plans for it!

Oh my, lots of great leads here and a bit of history too how exciting.  

I finally have some sense direction, though I admit it’s a little intimidating but I’m thrilled at the same time.

I saw this one on EBay sorta looks the same interior/exterior.  I’m going to try to reproduce it true to the period with perhaps more informal furniture?:ermm:

9D067139-4C1A-4222-AA5E-1AA4D26C2F5A.png

2. 4 minutes ago, Lula said:

Hello Kelly-

Thank you so much for solving this mystery for us.  My husband and I are so realized. Lately we both have been sorta possessed by this house and the world of miniature. I must admit we both don’t have the slightest clue how to proceed. For us she’s a big girl! A little bit overwhelming for me.  My show off husband thinks bc he’s a GC this renovation will be a piece of cake -lol

“So relieved   ....”

3. 15 minutes ago, KellyA said:

It's the Twelve Oaks Plantation kit by Real Good Toys. Some people call it the Mulberry but that's the house without the additions. It's Greek Revival style. I always thought it was such a pretty house.

https://www.dollhouseminiatures.com/Dollhouses/twelveoaks.htm

Hello Kelly-

Thank you so much for solving this mystery for us.  My husband and I are so realized. Lately we both have been sorta possessed by this house and the world of miniature. I must admit we both don’t have the slightest clue how to proceed. For us she’s a big girl! A little bit overwhelming for me.  My show off husband thinks bc he’s a GC this renovation will be a piece of cake -lol

4. Wow, this is lovely.  Love what you did.  Oh my is that an ironing board? Nice

Just printing your advise, starting my how-to-manual thank you. 

The house is missing lots of things before I go shop @greenleaf I’ll like to know what to get first. She needs pair shutters, stairs, doors, some windows are missing, the main door, roofing, base boards etc. 

Also when I’m allowed to post pics I’ll share how the structure is a bit compromised. Don’t know if I should take her completely apart or just wait for suggestions from you guys. 
  5. Hi there,

Thank you for replying.  I haven’t the slightest clue who the maker is.  I’ve done some research and I came up empty :-(

I found a similar house on eBay, it goes for $78k - are doll houses that expensive? 

I’ve been reading your threads to learn as much as I can, however I’m still confused.  I cleaned her up and stripped all the wall paper, floors etc.  now she sits there naked - poor thing.  I’m hoping (praying) some really nice person on this forum could guide me through this wonderful project.  

6. Oh my goodness, I so happy I found this forum. Super excited to get to know all these creative minds.  I have zero experience building dollhouses - well as an art student 100 years ago in HS, I did create a miniature Shakespearian Scene for my English teacher. That’s it!

My husband purchase this dollhouse for my at a Fleamarket. I’m planning on rehabbing it ;-) 

xxx-ooo