• Rank

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience Two
  • Dollhouse Preference I like them both
  • Online Community Building Projects Yes
  • Digital Camera Yes
  • Real Name joel
  1. Wedgwood Jasperware

we collect some Jasperware by Wedgwood, not seriously, just here and there (I go for any type of neoclassical art) so I gt these miniatures for my wife for X-Mas. They aren't dollhouse size more like 1:6, and the vases are about 3 1/4" tall  
  2. Amazon Alexa

Don't like the idea of people listening to me so no don't have one and won't get one  
  3. The Death of Seneca

I decided in the end to do a semi room box; essentially a floor, three walls, and removable ceiling. 16" square. That way I can use it as a backdrop for different furniture and paintings and accessories.
  4. The Death of Seneca

Another of my favorite neoclassical pictures by David this is one of his earliest monumental works. When I ordered the cherry wood from SH Goode for my sofa I also ordered some picture frame material in cherry and this will be the subject. It will be a large overmantle picture for that fireplace surround I had printed measuring about a scale 6 feet wide. I have just started on the full treatment with liquitex satin varnish and gloss medium   From Wiki "The Death of Seneca is a 1773 painting by Jacques-Louis David, now at the Petit Palais in Paris. It shows the suicide of Seneca the Younger. With its Boucher-like assembly of gesticulating figures, it was his third attempt to win the Prix de Rome, but lost to a painting on the same subject by Pierre Peyron. Peyron's had fewer details and a darker colour palette and was closer to the 'antique' - he was not only David's rival, but also initiated the new classicism which partly inspired David to produce his 1774 Erasistratus Discovering the Cause of Antiochus' Disease."  
  5. Sofa

While I am waiting on my order of Cherry from S H Goode to come in I set up a test strip to test the finish I am using this time. I glued veneer to a 1/4" strip of 1/8" mahogany and sanded with 120, 240, and 320 grit paper (top), then applied one coat of alkanet root oil (middle) and the first of many coats of garnet shellac (bottom). Hopefully this will give me an idea of what the finished piece will look like once I get all the coats of shellac on it
  6. mirror finish

How big? I know the car modelers use chrome pens for replacing chrome made by Molotow that works really well. I assume you could chrome the back of a microscope slide and it might pass. Would probably be best to spray the paint instead of marking it. I found this using a quick search from an airbrush blog   With Liquid Chrome, Molotow is introducing a special form of ink to the market, which creates a mirror effect. This liquid chrome is the result of the longstanding further development of Molotow’s very well-known BURNER™ ink. Liquid Chrome is available in the form of a marker and as a refill featuring 30 ml. The refill is most suitable in being used with an airbrush. The ink can be sprayed without problem via the finest of nozzles. In order to achieve the best mirror effect result, you will require a flat, non-suction surface. The alcohol-based, highly pigmented special ink creates a real mirror effect and thus, is extremely popular in graffiti, hobby, and DIY scenes. It’s no wonder that a big-time hype has been generate for most especially the marker, according to the manufacturer. Nonetheless, the ink can naturally also be used for custom painting, illustrations or model construction. When it comes to custom painting, Eloxal paints can also be combined with Candy paints. For model construction, buffer bars and related items can be set up and arranged realistically. The ink is highly opaque, permanent, and features a strong UV resistance. Liquid Chrome is almost entirely scratch and abrasion-proof, but sealing with clear varnish can be a recommendable step to take. The markers are available in 4 sizes ranging between 1 and 5 mm starting at 4.90 EUR (RRP). The 30 ml Liquid Chrome refill paint costs 19.90 EUR. All Products are available in specialty retailer shops or directly from Molotow.
  7. Sofa

I didn't forget this one just getting the materials together. I wasn't happy with the mahogany either the base wood or the veneer. The grain on the wood is too large and even filled just doesn't work as well as I wanted and the figure in the crotch veneer, which looks so good as a 8" x 12" piece is lost in 1/4" and 1/2" chunks. For the base wood this time I am trying cherry which has a nice tight frain, even tighter than walnut, and requires almost no filling, and for the veneer I bought some madrone burl which I think even in strips will provide the look I want. I have scoped out the base and top molding and am ordering some of the wood to size to make it easier this time
  8. Bookcases II

Thanks Kim. I look at it and all I see is the flaws and the places it didn't come out like I wanted but the main fun, for me, is taking an idea I have on paper and turning it into a three dimensional reality. Once I can perfect the technique and execution larger designs can just be variations on the same theme. For instance a breakfront bookcase using the same concepts:  
  9. Bookcases II

Doing the top molding it is essentially the same as the bottom only flipped And showing it all put together just not glued yet and I need to sand and even out the finish. I'm not real happy with how it came out but I learned a lot about doing the molding so the next ones will be better. Conceptually it worked it is the execution I have some issues with
  10. Bookcases II

Coming along - oils a little wet in this photo Starting the top molding now
  11. Sofa

To go with the bookcases I am doing a small box sofa. Essentially it will follow the same construction methods so I won't show most of the steps. Conceptually it is similar to the Phyfe box sofa but the base is more in keeping with the bookcases I did. Obviously the main difference will be the upholstery so when I get to that part I will show it in more depth
  12. Bookcases II

A quick cut or two, and a few passes with the sandpaper, and the basic outline is done. I sanded the angle in on the back it just needs to be close to 45 maybe a touch over. The inside curve is just the 1/4" rod wrapped with sandpaper. That veneer face will clean up with sandpaper and oil Have the steps been clear so far? Any questions? The execution hasn't been perfect but for the most part the process seems to be working as planned
  13. Bookcases II

Worth a try. The main issue is I use natural light to do my photos and it has been rainy and cloudy every day Anyway on to the feet. I veneered a 6" strip of 3/32" by 1/4" mahogany and cut it into 1/2" lengths. This gave me a bunch of 1/4" by 1/2" pieces (twelve to be exact) to shape into feet
  14. Bookcases II

Still a lot to do but I am beginning to get an idea of what the completed project will look like
  15. Bookcases II

Glued on the curved piece then glued it all up into one molding strip. The last picture is a mockup of how the base, without legs, should look under the bookcase body