Shy Spirit

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Shy Spirit

1. You are doing a great job on the house. What a good idea to use stucco in the kitchen. The siding makes such a difference to the look of the exterior! Thanks for sharing - and please add more pics as the rehab continues!
  2. I haven't seen that show for quite a while, but it sounds like a shocking episode! How could you do that to a miniaturist? Don't they know that giving up a dh that we love is like taking away our baby? While discussing de-cluttering with my mum (something we both have to do), I mentioned that of course I will NOT be downsizing my minis. She actually laughed as if I was kidding - and Mum understands my obsession - er, hobby - better than anyone else!
  3. Heddy, I found a thread about flooring for you. (Craft sticks and other options.) http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...ft+sticks+floor Hope this works for you!
  4. That's Cate's Muddy End! Check her gallery.
  5. Love the face in the rose, Cate!
  6. I find that foam brushes are very good for painting a smooth finish on walls. I get them at dollar stores, but Michaels carries them also. For smaller areas, I use artist paintbrushes - usually camel or sable hair. The nylon ones are a little too stiff.
  7. Today I had lots of smiles - reading the posts here - on this thread and other ones; watching our three cats and their antics; spending time in the car beside my son (he has his G1 - learner - driving licence) - who has developed a way of quirking an eyebrow and furrowing his forehead while looking at me sideways - very Clark Gable, not that he'd know it; getting a phone call from my daughter to let us know that she arrived back safely, from a cottage holiday with a friend. :lol:
  8. Welcome to the forum! :lol: Now ... back ... away ... from the hot glue. It is not, repeat, NOT a good thing! You could (I suppose) use a little dot here and there just to hold things in place while the wood glue/tacky glue/Quick Grip glue/etc. dries. You sure are jumping right in there with a Garfield. I'd love to have one, someday. (For now, I'm happy with my cottages and smaller houses. Mostly all still in progess!) Quite a few Greenleaf members have Garfields - check out the galleries! You will find so many helpful people here, waiting to cheer you on with good advice, clever tips and tricks, and friendly support when you want it. All of this, and lots of humour, too! B)
  9. Hi Cate! I can't believe you only just joined - somehow I thought you were already here! You must hurry and post pics so everyone can see how talented you are. :lol: (Oh, and WELCOME!!)
  10. Hello Heddy, and welcome! You can open your own gallery after posting 5 times. :lol: Somewhere there is a thread or two all about wooden flooring - including the craft sticks. Try doing a search - it's probably in General Mini Talk. Someone else may remember where it is, but a search should turn up a few interesting tidbits.
  11. Perhaps you could put up one of those signs (that I personally detest) that states "NO PHOTOGRAPHY ALLOWED". The last Egyptian exhibit at the ROM - Royal Ontario Museum - that I attended even went so far as to ban any photos, or sketching of the artifacts! :lol: I was so upset. When I was a teenager, I took a little folding stool, my sketch pad and watercolours, and sat for an afternoon, copying out the Egyptian jewellery designs. I wish I knew where those sketches and little paintings are now; I could really use them for reference!
  12. I saw the bus kit - it looks so neat! I'm thinking some lads just may get interested in it (for their action figures, of course). Not familiar with the Madison - I will have to look in the store! Hi Peachie - thanks for the hug! The hugs are on me, folks - Hugs all 'round, Barkeep!! (Silly me...)
  13. Thanks for the link, Grazhina. I took the test, and I'm 6 months older than I should be! (If you know what I mean.) There were a couple of answers that weren't quite "right" for me - but I picked the closest one out of the choices they offered, and that seemed to mess it up a bit. And, well, there's also the weight thing ... It was interesting, but certainly not the same as a trip to the doctor, and not anything I'll lose sleep over.
  14. Great ideas, Kathie! All good teachers operate on the teach one, pass it along - as I said, he just wasn't a good teacher. Nice guy, poor teacher. Yes, all working on the one house is definitely the way to go. The Primrose is perfect, small and relatively simple, too. Poor man, he was quite overwhelmed, I think! We all had a good time, he was quite entertaining - but it wasn't the best class for "newbies", that's for sure! The field trip would be exciting - or having her show up for a session - I'm getting wound up just thinking about it! Won't it be wonderful if some of your students turn into full-fledged miniaturists - and join our group?
  15. What a brilliant man!! Maybe he'd like to have a dh of his own? Please thank him for such resourceful thinking - I will also (try to) remember this tip. :lol:
  16. I wish that would work for me! I can't complain really - he just gets a pained look on his face, murmurs "But where will you put it?" and sighs. I just smile and tell him there's always room for one more!
  17. That's super, Anna! I also want to do an Egyptian room - been collecting things for a few years now. You've given me some terrific ideas, thanks. :whistle: Love the pictures and writing on the wall - just like a real museum exhibit.
  18. That sounds like fun stuff to work with! Where can you find it? (Other than thrift stores!)
  19. What they said! :whistle: The pantyhose strainer is a great idea - I have some older paints that have lumps - too many to "smoosh to the other side" - I was wondering how to deal with this, and will try the hose. Thanks, Donna!
  20. I can't see it properly - when I clicked on the pic it was way too big for my screen - but could you perhaps sand down the "bulges"? I agree that glossy paint always magnifies any slight imperfection, so changing the paint could make a huge difference. Good luck, and keep us posted, please! :whistle:
  21. I took a course like this when I decided to get back into my miniatures (my children were growing up, and I had more time), and wanted a refresher. The class was small - only four of us. There was no info on electrification, unfortunately. We brought our own kits with us, and they were all different. The teacher was a very nice man, but not a true miniaturist. He instructed us to use hot glue for the construction (yikes), and sadly, he didn't know how to teach a class. Consequently, students were always clamoring for his help. As each person was building a different kit, we had unique problem areas, and related questions. He would end up doing the work for each student, and would spend most of the class with one student. In the end, I just winged it. When the course was over, no-one had come even close to finishing their dh. I know you will do a wonderful job, Kathie. Those lucky, lucky students! They are going to have the time of their lives! (I think an assistant is almost a necessity, as you will be teaching twelve people.) Wish I could take the class! Thought I'd mention that this may be a problem for some of your students. Not everyone uses the Internet - hard to believe, for all of us - who can't live without it, it seems - but you may need to have some materials on hand for those who don't have/don't use a computer. I recall the previous editor of Dollhouse Miniatures magazine getting told off by a reader because he had only given website contact information for a company. The reader wanted their address. She had written a letter ("snailmail") to Terry (the editor) and it brought the point home to him. He was so used to email and surfing the Internet, he "forgot" that some people aren't versed in these things.
  22. It's gorgeous - very classy. I agree also with the suggestions made, and am picturing a padded chair for the seamstress, with a curved back. Something she can be comfortable in when staying up half the night to finish sewing the pearl beads onto a veil due to be picked up in the morning!
  23. Everything is so neat and tidy! You have a lovely work area - looks like it's all organized to make the most out of the space you have. Enjoy!!
  24. I was curious to try the quiz - but there was an error in loading the page for me, too. I don't take perfect care of myself (who does?) but in the end balance, hopefully I do okay. I try to build up some good karma! I'm still a little curious however - which means I won't rest well until I've taken the darn test already! :whistle:
  25. Those are beautiful! Lovely colours that work so nicely together, and the pot is very clever. Make more - you can never have too many flowers. :whistle: