Shy Spirit

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Shy Spirit

1. Bobie, that sounds like a delightful project - I love fixing up dollhouses that were previously loved, and giving them to children who might not have one otherwise. I hope you enjoy building and decorating it, as much as the little girl will enjoy playing with it! Joel, your bowl looks lovely. I like the remnants of lettering inside! Will you put your maker's mark on it somehow? What are you planning next? I am currently refurbishing, decorating and furnishing a dollhouse for a little friend of my granddaughter's.
  2. Joel, you might consider leaving the "one dime" visible on your first bowl. If it was mine, I would keep it as it is now. It's cool to see the origin of the material used! I do agree with a hammered/polished finish for items you wish to sell. You have done a great job, and I look forward to seeing your unique style develop as you progress with this. Jackie, the tower sounds interesting - I love tower rooms! Have you seen the television show, "Escape to the Chateau"? I find the woman, Angel, just amazing. She and her husband own a French chateau, and are renovating it while also making it available for weddings, family holidays, etc. Angel took vintage wallpaper and did a wall treatment in a turret room and staircase that looks absolutely beautiful. I have so many ideas from watching their show - if you haven't seen it, try YouTube or a search online for it. I think they are marvellous, creative people. Very inspiring.
  3. That's going to be quite a challenge! I would be very interested in seeing pics of your work in progress, and the finished items also, of course! How small those tools must be ...
  4. What a special project to work on! I'd like to add paperclay (for faux stones, bricks, slate) to the list of suggestions. If you do a search here on Greenleaf, you will find lots of "tutorials" in different threads. Our members are so generous with tips and techniques - often including pics - you are in for a treat! Seriously, you could get lost for hours, learning great information, and being inspired by the amazing work done by Greenleaf members.
  5. You have all done so well - I'm impressed! How wonderful to find these mini treasures just waiting to be loved again.
  6. Keep at it, Jess - you'll get there! (And we'll all be interested to hear of, and to see your results!) The paperclay sold by craft stores like Michaels is made with volcanic ash. I think the texture is beautifully smooth. The product is expensive, but I just love it.
  7. Holly, the gravel is only used to impress the rock shapes into an air dry clay sheet. The tutorial shows how to make your own mold with this, and then use it on more air dry clay to create stone walls. As you know, the air dry clay is lightweight. The tutorial shows different air dry clays ... I personally like paperclay. I find that it's very smooth and easy to work with. I don't care for the smell of Das clay, but some people enjoy it. Another fun way to make stones is using cardboard egg carton/drinks trays. There are several tut links posted in threads here, I'm sure you could do a search and find all the great tips if you're interested in trying it.
  8. I share your love of Chrysnbon kits and minis, Bobie. Their realistic details, and the fact that they can be customized by miniaturists make them extremely desirable to me. Very good find!
  9. What a difference a bit of paint, glue and flocking makes! Nice work!
  10. What a marvellous find! I love old furniture in RL (Real Life) as well as in miniature. These pieces are beautiful. The aged finish on the chair is so authentic looking.
  11. Well done, Lee! That's a terrific assortment of ornaments - at a bargain basement price. :)
  12. Beautiful work, Grazhina. Yes, the cottager/builder should take great pride in her work!!
  13. That is going to be a gorgeous (albeit aged) screen - well done! I haven't come across the hinge technique before - that I recall - but it sounds like an interesting idea. I'm enjoying anticipating the finished product.
  14. It's looking authentic already! The linen is perfect for the backing. Your finishing techniques are very well done - I expect you have a lot of great tips to share, and this is the place to do it. This community is full of members eager to learn - and also share their knowledge. I especially like the paving stones, and doorstep in your outdoor vignette - very gritty and atmospheric.
  15. I'm no expert, but I would dampen both sides at the same time, to reduce warpage.
  16. I love wood - so many variations in colours, grains, shapes. (I've been known to hug a tree or two in my time!) Looking forward to seeing the finished screen.
  17. Silk ties are always handy, and I have a few of my dad's stashed away. ;) I would go with a plainer backing, if it were my choice. The red with stars is a strong pattern and colour, so I would save it for another project where it might be showcased. I think I'd paint or gesso the back of the panels to smooth and even out the surface, and then use a solid coloured, finely woven cotton or linen look fabric to cover it. Finish with a satin varnish to seal. That's just my opinion, of course ... but you asked for our thoughts. The screens are all gorgeous! Did you achieve the burled effect yourself on the wood?
  18. The design is very elegant - super idea! Did you use panels from miniature wallpaper, or ???
  19. Grazhina, you might like to try some ash from an incense stick. It's very fine, and dusty-coloured. I've been thinking it could be used in fireplaces, dust in the attic, etc.
  20. The dollar stores are familiar and wonderful hunting grounds indeed, Holly! I will cruise their aisles with renewed vigour, and report back if I'm in luck. Meanwhile, the little chest is on my wishlist. I found it interesting to note that the description on the Canadian site was for a treasure chest, intended to hold Roleplaying/Gaming Dice.
  21. I like that chest a lot! Unfortunately, it doesn't ship to Canada. I'll have to scout around and see if there are any similar ones available here. What a treasure - I could use something like this in a few different projects! Okay, I just found the same one on a Canadian site - almost double the price, of course! Thanks for sharing the info, Grazhina.
  22. I'm not usually a fan of knitted clothes - although my granny knitted and crocheted some seriously gorgeous outfits for me when I was a child - but I continue to be a fan of your mum's beautiful work! This blue dress adds such lovely colour and style to the doll, The beaded tiara is sweet, and gives her a serenity that I find really appealing. Another successful job well done!
  23. Wow, Jackie - you're a fast worker! Pretty colours - and yes, they do look yummy!
  24. Ooh, yes, Miranda - a Wizard's place can be taken in several directions all at the same time! No holds barred - what fun! Christine, do you have any pics of your cottage? I like the hint you dropped of a love story ... it makes a difference to a dollhouse ... giving it a history, a life of its own ... every house needs to be a home - even a miniature one. Isn't it disappointing when you can't match up the paint? Never mind, Grazhina - if I know your work (and I do) it will be the most wonderful gnome home, chosen by the gnomes particularly because of the beauty of the bark exterior.