Profile Information

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    One
  • Real Name
    Lois
  • Country
    United States
  1. I am really making progress on my first house - The Orchid - on trim details now. You have all been a fantastic help - the forum is so active, that I can't keep up. Too busy priming and painting and gluing! But how/where do you all display your beautiful houses? Do you use end tables? Shelf units? Are there any photos to show various ideas?
  2. My local area has few resources for minis - furniture, lighting, flooring, etc. I was lucky and found wallpaper I love at Hobby Lobby in Springfield, MO - and I have found resources on-line - but does anyone have favorite places to browse in MO - Springfield, Joplin, Kansas City? I have just begun to prime my Orchid windows so we're talking real newbie here! Did find some lovely lace edging to use for window valances in fabric dept at Walmart. This is a blast! and you all are so helpful with your ideas and photos. Thanks for any thoughts on stores.
  3. I have been mulling over the question of dolls/no dolls since I started planning my first house - have opted for "no dolls" just because I like the opening left for imagination to fill in the details of the occupant. I may add a pet one day - for coziness - have fun -
  4. You are all terrific - thanks for the suggestions on primer and stucco. We are traveling soon so I may be scarce until late September but I will try to check out some of your beautiful work in the meantime. Many, many thanks for the help. I have a feeling this could be a new addiction. Live well and laugh often.
  5. No choice - no public transp out here in the country - but we combine all our errands to one trip to the big city - and stay home otherwise - that's why we have so many hobbies - flowers, knitting, crocheting, minis, digital photography, and on and on. Saving our gas money for major trips - still much to see and very few years left to see it all. I sat in gas lines in the 1970's and was just sure we would have a dependable alternative fuel very soon. Ah well -
  6. What a fast response - thanks - I posted some questions about making and applying stucco (proportions of sand/paint etc.- also how to best prepare walls for paint, wallpaper, other finishes - whether to cover all with shellac/alcohol mixture first before wallpaper and paint. The "first" house is a little "Orchid" cottage. Will be a music teacher's house or a seamstress shop.
  7. My little "Orchid House" is still in the box and I am trying to make all my plans ahead. Has anyone mixed their own "stucco" with sand and paint - are there any tricks that help - anyone know the proportions (recipe) to mix it. And do I need to prepare the wood first in any way - read somewhere that I should paint any wood surface with a 50/50 mix of alcohol and shellac??? Do I "prepare" wood with shellac mixture if it will be covered with wallpaper? I really am starting from square one here! Thanks -
  8. Hello all - I am a bit overwhelmed with my new dollhouse - still in the box. Have read the instructions three times, surfed the 'Net for supplies, ideas. I've always loved miniatures and decorating - now combining the two in my retirement. Probably will ask lots of questions - over a period of time. No rush here, as this is just the latest in a long line of hobbies. Retired in Missouri. Fantasy is Fun.
  9. srnewbie

The Orchid

first house