• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Please Select
  • Real Name
    Anne
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

650 profile views
  1. Hi there! Welcome to the forum from another newbie. I'm just starting my first dollhouse and I've found this forum to be so informative and the people on here so welcoming, nice and helpful. And being a graphic designer, too, one of my favorite parts of this hobby is to see things in stores that aren't necessarily for miniatures, but that I can do something creative and unique with for my house. Good luck---the Pierce looks like such a fun house to build! <_< Anne
  2. I'm not at the point of using the carpet yet, but I'll make sure I'll get pics up of it as soon as it goes in! The foundation is put together and the body of the house goes together today. YAY! After I saw a post on here about putting together a "book" of the progress, I thought it was a great idea and I'm making sure to take pics as I go along to put together a "story book" for my niece showing the story of her house. I'll put new batteries in the camera today and try to get progress pics up soon.
  3. I finally got to start working on my Newport Cape House this weekend and am having so much fun! I took all of your advice to spend a lot of time sorting and such, and now have a box full of tons of ziploc bags marked by piece # and sorted by step #. The base is under construction! I'm so excited right now---being a stay-at-home mom, I'm having to do this on a pretty tight budget, but want to make it as great as possible since it's a present for my niece. I won a dollhouse lot on ebay that included "hardwood flooring" and got a vinyl tile for the kitchen/bathroom flooring after seeing the instructions on here for making tile flooring (spending a whopping $0.89). After visiting the local mini store, I was shocked to see how much it'd cost to buy "carpeting" for the remaining rooms ($20 a room), even though it was kinda cheesy looking velvet. I decided to look for fabric that I could stick down using my Xyron machine's double-sided adhesive. I just got back from Joann's where I found that all their home decor fabrics were on sale for 40% off, then I found a great beige textured velour fabric in the remnant/end of bolt section to use in the bedroom (way discounted plus still getting the 40% off). When I got it cut, there was only a half a yard left on the bolt after I got my piece, which they then offered to sell me for an extra 50% off on top of the other discounts! So I got enough to do the rest of the house and probably in the next one I build, all for --- TA-DA --- $2.95 including tax!!!!!!!! I'm just quite proud of myself right now... :lol:
  4. Thanks everyone, so much! Keep any advice flowing as it comes to mind! I just got an email from my ebay seller---my Newport Cape House should be here tomorrow. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!! Keep your fingers crossed for me that all the parts arrive with this one---I'm not sure I can handle another ebay disappointment and I'm SO EXCITED to get started! Hmmm...I think I sound much more like a 5-year-old on Christmas eve rather than the grown woman I am! <_<
  5. Thanks so much for all the great advice so far! I LOVE the advice "It's only a mistake if you can't hide it"---I have a feeling I'm going to have to put that on a sign and hang it above where I'm working!!!! Thanks and keep the tips flowing---I'm sure I'll need it! I CAN'T WAIT to get started!!!!
  6. Hi there! I'm a new member and love all the info and ideas you have up here. After one bad Ebay experience, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Duracraft Newport Cape house making it's way to me right now has all the pieces AND instructions! I also got a little carried away and already ordered a CirKit tapewiring kit, too. I'm superexcited to get going on it as a present for my niece and would love any advice or books or other resources you could reccomend to me to get me started. Thanks so much in advance!
  7. I'm a new dollhouse builder, too, and I loved seeing your pics. It's awesome to see how so many people come up with creative ways to personalize the dollhouse kits!!!! Thanks for sharing!
  8. Thanks for everyone's sympathies! I wound up getting a refund for the Manchester, although the seller is letting me keep the parts of it that were actually in the box since he can't resell it and shipping is a pain. I just bought a Newport Cape House from a different seller on Ebay after asking LOTS of questions about it and hopefully won't have the same experience! I'm posting a few questions before starting it on the "My First Dollhouse" board so any advice would be appreciated! Thanks again!
  9. Hi there---I'm new to this forum and am super-excited to start building my first dollhouse! Unfortunately, I was really happy to win a Duracraft Manchester on Ebay, but when it got to me I found that it was not "NIB" as listed, but is missing several pieces, including the instructions! No word back from the seller yet---aauugghh! I was wondering if anyone else has done this house and maybe could photocopy the instructions for me. I know it's also missing all the windows, doors and trim work, but I'm not sure what else since I don't have the instructions! What a way to get started on my first house!!!!