M-J

Silver Member
  • Last visited

0 Neutral

About M-J

Profile Information

• Interests
    My Family<br />Our 2 doggies<br />Caring for my first house.<br />Building my Garfield. (first build)

Previous Fields

• Real Name
    Mary-Jane
  • Country
    Canada
  1. Hi everyone...I've decided to try to sell my beloved Garfield. Last year, if anyone remembers, it broke my foot. (well, indirectly) We finally bought our first real house! I'm so busy fixing things, improving the place and trying to keep it clean, (besides working full-time), that I haven't touched my Garfield since we moved in last June. It's sitting up in the corner of the spare bedroom, covered with an old sheet. I was so obsessed with having my own house that it was my passion. I never thought that I would have my own house, so I treated the dollhouse like my own. (well...you know what I mean...) Moving it was fun! I had to try to build it up to move it, so I got to the porch stage, then had to take the window sills off on one wall to get it into the new house! (that took a couple of days to figure out how to get it in, it sat in the backyard on the picnic table. The sun had softened the glue enough that the sills came right off) B) So, I've posted it in the trading post, however the buyer would have to be local, shipping it would be impossible.
  2. Thank you, Gayle. Bless your husband and rest his soul. I'm going back this Wed. to hopefully have the cast taken off. Can't wait to be able to drive again. Ventured out to our local Flea Market today, lots of walking. The cast forces my knee to lock with every step, so it can get pretty painful to walk distances. :dry:
  3. Oh, Irene! I just found out about your family! As you know, you have our support. We lost my father-in-law a few years ago by way of cardiac arrest. (he was only 55) I know that it is hard to believe now, but it will get easier. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Take care and post whenever you need to. M-J
  4. Thank you all for your sympathy...Steph is being wonderful, so is my hubbie, though I feel absolutely useless. I actually started working on the killer house again, second coat on the ceilings. The reason that I was mock assembling it was to get a floorplan to start pre-decorating, so I've taken all the walls down again. (safer) So more painting is a little tamer. Building the furniture sounds like a good idea, too, though I may set the bed on fire with my glue gun... Take care, all. I don't get downstairs to the computer too often....
  5. Ok, don't anybody laugh too hard....beware, walls are painfull!! I sit here with a my right leg up on my desk as I type almost between my legs. I was building my Garfield yesterday and dropped a wall panel on my left foot. (DUH!!) It landed straight up and down on the nail bed of my big toe. My toe started to bleed, so I asked my 10 year old daughter who was with me to get a cloth for the blood, expecting that it would be a gusher (which it wasn’t). Now, I said that my right foot is on the desk, right? Well, I started to feel like I was going to pass out, (from the pain??) so I tried to get to my bed, (instead of just lying on the floor) but didn’t make it. I passed out in the doorway of my bedroom and hit my head on the footboard and broke my right foot on the way down. (2 breaks). My driving foot is in a cast (knee to toe) for about 6 weeks. (actually I have a temporary semi-cast till the swelling goes down, then I go back on the 6th for a real cast. Steph wants me to get a blue one. My cast is about 10 lbs. (I weighed it on our bathroom scale) but I hope that the real cast will be lighter. It’s more like a bandage, but it does have some real cast in it. My thigh muscle is killing me, just lifting my leg up, not to mention my hands from crutches….My toe doesn’t really hurt anymore unless I touch it. Really bad bruise. They x-rayed both feet. I feel so useless. Of course, I don’t have a bathroom on the main floor, so if I want to lye on the couch in the living room, I have to either go up or down. Stairs are fun. I go on my butt. We have a TV in my bedroom, but just with a DVD player. Boring… I don’t know how I’m going to climb the 2 steps to the office. I can’t stand or walk on my cast. So, I'm not going to be building for a while, but I can paint...
  6. M-J

My Garfield

My first build
  7. Hi Brenda and welcome! I'm new too and please consider pre-painting your stairs before building, I wish that I had! I love my HOT glue gun! Beware if you go that route, it is Permanent!! Make sure before glueing. I hold the pieces together before glueing just to be sure. I've also pre-painted all of my trim. (door, window, roof, etc) to save some detailed work later, but I'll still have to paint the edges of those pieces...Waiting for pics...
  8. Aside from purchasing Mini Electrical kits, any suggestions to add electricity to my Garfield? I was thinking that I could perhaps run telephone wires. (the small different coloured ones) Would I run everything to a central "fuse box"?? If I'm painting, rather than wallpapering, how would I hide the wires? It would all be for future fixtures as I'm on a limited budget... Any feedback would be wonderful. Thanks.
  9. Your Garfields are all so beautiful! I hope that I can make mine as nice. Uppitycats, how did you make your floors look like old floorboards? Love them!!
  10. Hi All, Thank you again for your wonderful welcome! Here are my stairs and foundation. I want to get some Varnish to do the steps for more "punch". I'm still pre-painting the window and door trim as that is my next step. I may do some tonight. We've got a downpour here and we've lost satallite signal and power once...
  11. I don't have a drummel tool, but I do have a Black & Decker "Mouse". It has a small nose attachment that I was thinking of using, but it's more like a sander than a cutting tool. If I can get a drummel.....oh, the possabilities....
  12. Thank you all for your welcome!! Maresiedotes, the steps that I was referring to are the porch steps that attach to the foundation. (not the kitchen, I believe that it's for the front door) When you build the foundation, there is a piece of the gusset, (the part that makes it high) that has slots to fit those steps. I assembled that piece upside down, so I cannot attach the porch steps to that piece when the time comes...(the instructions have not told me to yet)
  13. Thank you! Unfortunately, don't have pics yet. Will get some soon...I don't have much done, except both staircases and the foundation. I'm at the window trim, but I had to get Greenleaf to send me pg 5 of my schematics. Learned with stairs that I should paint before installation. Much easier!! I've pre-painted almost all trim and a few other things that I've decided on colour, like kitchen pantry and fireplace faces. I work full time as well as run my household so unfirtunately I don't have much house time...
  14. Hi all! I've started building my Garfield that my wonderful husband attained for Mother's Day. I know that it's not the model for beginners, but I'm pretty good at building things. I'm the handyman in our house. Besides, my 10 year old daughter is usually on hand for consult, even though neither of us know what we're doing.... I've always wanted a dollhouse. I was amazed when my 7th grade woodshop teacher brough the house that he was building to school. I was hooked. I love the actual building process, but I'm trying to decorate as I go. (I'm not very creative) I read that it's easier...I've bought "oops paint" at my local Home Depot and hope to get to our recycling depot to pick up some free paint...I'm finding that the instructions are very vague. I wish that they had told me to make sure that a certain part of the foundation gusset is "notches up" to fit in my future porch steps. Now somehow, I have to cut slots in the wood to insert my steps. argh! Any suggestions? Thanks. M-J