• Dollhouse Preference I like them both
  • Online Community Building Projects Yes
  • Digital Camera Yes
  • Real Name Kathie
  • Country Please Select

Recent Profile Visitors

9152 profile views
  1. My husband is coming close to the end now

Jeannine, having lost my own dear heart 6 months ago and having just sat with a dear, dear friend as she lay dying, I can empathize on one level, but with the rich history you two have shared, you must be feeling depths of emotion that I can't begin to imagine. Keeping busy can be helpful, but don't overdo it.  <Big fluffy hugs>
  2. Showcase Our Miniature Finds

Ixnay on tiling the horizontal surfaces. I'd use tile on the wall behind the stove and sink, but the metal tops are perfect as is. I would not tile the metal backsplash on the sink. I once had a tee shirt given to me by a dear friend. It read: "True art is knowing when to stop." I think it applies to our dollhouses, too. It doesn't take much to go over the top when we're fiddling with tiny treasures.
  3. Interesting Miniature Tidbits

But doesn't last as long in the outhouse. <ducking and running>
  4. Go for it. If I had time right now, I'd embroider it on a pillow, me.  
  5. Hoarding? I look at it as a judicious preservation of valuable resources.  
  6. Window cleaning question

Really? Good to know! i've not run into that problem, but maybe I've just been lucky. I guess testing in an inconspicuous spot would be in order, like a drop on the end of a toothpick in a corner that might be hidden by a flower box. 
  7. Window cleaning question

For fingerprints, I'd use the cotton swab, but I'd use a bit of Windex or similar cleaner that doesn't leave a film as the detergent might. 
  8. What are you up to today? This week?

Sorry to hear about the tragedies, Chris. Prayers for you and your family. Congratulations on completing your degree and earning your license! Where is your new job located?
  9. What's everyone working on?

I knew you could do it!  
  10. What's everyone working on?

Wrapped the furniture and dolls from the quilt shop room box and put them back inside, ready to travel. 
  11. Noodling how to make roof tiles

Here's how Casey's movie theater tray barrel tiles turned out. They're awesome! http://caseymini.blogspot.com/2017/08/success.html  
  12. Hinges for medallion door

The design is perfect. I'd put a dot of super glue under the hardware to back up the nails, which may work loose over time. I'd even dip the tip of the nail into a little puddle of super glue gel.
  13. Glencroft--space next to fireplace?

Right ... but it could be an airing cupboard with an oddly shaped door, couldn't it? 
  14. Glencroft--space next to fireplace?

I wouldn't square it off. I love oddly shaped doors on "secret" cupboards.
  15. Noob, New Dollhouse

Hi John, and welcome to the forum. I took the liberty of copying the intro from your profile page and pasting it below. I hope you don't mind. It's an interesting story, to say the least!    I am a noob to dollhouse building. I have two granddaughters (6 and 1) who need, or will need, dollhouses built by their Papa. I am a railroad modeler in 1:20.3 scale, and have scratch built several models in that scale, including cutting my own scale lumber. I have most of the needed tools and some of the required expertise, so I am not intimidated by the complexity of the dollhouse kits I now have. Speaking of which, they are a Dura-Craft Newberg, a Greenleaf Pierce, and a Greenleaf Beacon Hill. I am currently renovating a dollhouse that my father built for my grand nieces about 20 years ago. I believe it's a Dura-Craft, but I haven't identified the model yet.  My plans for the Newberg are to make it a reasonable facsimile of Carl and Ellie's house from UP. It's close enough that paint would be enough for many people,  but I plan to cut the foundation in half heightwise, new windows and front door (including all the locks), a chimney, and of course balloons! I haven't decided if I want to tackle altering the roof to more closely resemble the UP house. I'll probably mock something up to determine the feasibility of that undertaking. Oh, and I need to find  reasonable models of Carl, Russell, Kevin, and Dug.