• Dollhouse Preference I like them both
  • Online Community Building Projects Yes
  • Digital Camera Yes
  • Real Name Kathie
  • Country Please Select

Recent Profile Visitors

13013 profile views
  1. "The Miniaturist" PBS Premiere

I ended up watching the entire series despite my initial reluctance. I have to say that I thought it better than the book, which left a bad taste in my mouth. The filming, costumes, character development, and especially the miniatures really told the story.
  2. I spray painted it with black stone-effect paint. It is textured, similar to putting sand in liquid paint. I originally painted the shingles green, but I'm now considering using the same spray paint on them. I think I'd like the appearance of black asphalt shingles instead of painted wooden shingles.  (Lucky me glued the shingles to the roof pieces but they have not been attached to the house yet.)
  3. What are you up to today? This week?

This is where a DVR is a real blessing. I tend to record several of my favorite programs just so I can watch them when it is convenient for me and fast-forward through the commercials.  
  4. What are you up to today? This week?

The following is the most likely answer, as one of the glass guys was able to pinpoint the start of the crack pattern, which was at one edge. There are many potential causes for spontaneous breakage of tempered glass. The most common is damage to the edges of glass as it is being pre-cut into panels, or nicks or chips to the edges that occur when the glass is being packaged, shipped, or installed onsite. While such damage may not be readily apparent, stress concentrations around these imperfections can occur as the glass expands and contracts in response to in-service temperature changes, wind load, building movement, and other environmental factors. Ultimately, when those stresses cause the glass to break, the action may appear to have been spontaneous when, in fact, the circumstances for failure had been put in place months or even years earlier.
  5. Decoration of front closing house

I am intrigued by the cupboard at left with the symbols on it.
  6. What are you up to today? This week?

Have been entertaining a parade of glass repair estimators this morning. The top pane in a double-hung window shattered a few days ago. Inside pane of a double-pane window. It is tempered glass due to its location beside a door. None of them have been able to tell me why it shattered. It is located inside the new screened porch, the most protected window in the house. Nothing hit it. It now looks like a lace-covered panel. Bizarre. Reminds me of the old Memorex commercials: "Is it live or is it Memorex?" with the exploding wine glass.  This stuff is expensive! 
  7. Decoration of front closing house

The apothecary in this case does not seem to be particularly humble. I can easily see one of the stoves from the link in the shop; not nearly as elaborate as the one in Château du Haut-Koenigsbourg yet very handsome, indeed.
  8. Decoration of front closing house

The stoves are magnificent!
  9. Charity house sold $$$

Fantastic! Congratulations! Job well done. 
  10. Cafe Outside

You have the patience of a saint with all the fiddly bits. Great job!
  11. Mini Shop Showcased on TV News Show

Silly me recorded the two hour-long program segments separately. I watched the first interview, figured that was all there was, and erased the second segment without watching. Oh, well. They did make nice mention of the show in the bit I saw.
  12. Mini Shop Showcased on TV News Show

I'm also recording it so I can run it for NJ when she's here.  
  13. Panelling the inside front

I'm thinking that once it is finished, any accommodation you've had to make will not be terribly noticeable.
  14. Mini Shop Showcased on TV News Show

NJ doesn't arrive until the following week. I'm not sure if I'll make the miniature show or not. Went with my sis and met sparklepuppies and West Paces there last year -- much fun.