• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Five or more
  • Real Name
    Kathie
  • Country
    Please Select

Recent Profile Visitors

19,478 profile views
  1. Depends on the age of the kids. I wouldn't put any kinds of lights in a house meant for any kid under 12 years old. Toddlers and young children do not have the small motor skills needed to turn on those teensy switches. And their play with the houses is usually during daylight hours, when lights are most likely off anyway.
  2. I sometimes vary my technique to suit the position of the wall or the quality of the paper, but generally I make a template of the area to be covered so there won't be any trimming later and cut the paper to size. I apply the wallpaper paste to the wall in an even coat and then apply the paper much the same as Holly does, sort of rolling it on from the bottom up. Finger-smoothing usually gets out the bumps. I've also used the edge of a credit card. By not applying paste to the paper itself, I find it much easier to control it, so it goes in the right place the first time. If it does go on a bit wonky, it is not hard to pull it off and try again.
  3. I recently received a shopping bag full of vintage accessory kits labeled An Early American Doll Series by Gail Wilson and are copyrighted (c) 1993-1995 in South Acworth, NH 03607. The verbiage indicates that the doll kit in this series is 9" tall and her doll is 3" tall. The scale is not noted and is beyond my mathematical capability. If a 9" doll were thought to be 4' tall in real life ... 😒 One of the kits mentions its suitability for Hitty dolls, which are usually 6.25" tall or 1/6 scale, so your guess is as good as mine here. Some of the kits include paint and/or stain, which I suspect is probably useless due to age. None of the kits appear to have been opened. There are multiples of a few kits as indicated below. The kits include Ironing board and flatiron Ladderback chair Shelf with peg rack A doll's doll -- 2" wooden peg doll, bed, and chair A stack of 3 round pantry boxes (2 kits) Victorian outfit -- dress, pantaloons, hat, coat hanger Best dress, coat hanger Sunbonnet Fancy bonnet, hat stand, hatbox Dress & pinafore outfit, coat hanger Going West Dress, apron, pantaloons, sunbonnet, coat hanger Dress form (2 kits) Nightgown, coat hanger School things -- lunch pail, slate, ruler, paddle board, primer Sewing accessories -- shaker box, pin cushion & pins, scissors, thread spools, small quilt in wooden hoop frame (4 kits) Quilt and quilt rack If you want more detail, go to this Gail Wilson page and click on the Hitty tab at the top. It has the prices. I do not expect to sell these kits for the full prices shown there. If you are interested or know of someone who is, please contact me through a Private Message. FYI, I am located in the west suburban Chicago area.
  4. Nice article about the mini books made to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Queen Mary's dollhouse. Queen Camilla pens miniature book to celebrate 100 years of Queen Mary's Dolls' House (msn.com)
  5. Over the years I have come to recognize three kinds of miniaturists -- those who love to build, those who love to decorate, and those who enjoy doing both. Maybe you are one of the decorators. Have you checked local marketplaces online for houses that are already built?
  6. Maybe wrap the join area with masking tape so the two sections can't rotate?
  7. I recently gathered up all of my project progress photos and curated them in a print-on-line book. It was rather pricey, as it turned out to be 83 pages, well beyond the 20 pages included in the base price, but I want to leave behind a printed record. Who knows what will happen to the digital photos on my computer when I'm gone? Anyway, the website Mixbook.com offers an option to share the book online at no charge. Creating the book was straightforward and a pleasant trip down memory lane. The finished book is 8" x 8", hardcover. I am pleased with the quality. If you would like to view the book and cannot reach it via this link, send me a PM with your email and I can share the link with you that way. https://www.mixbook.com/photo-books/interests/miniatures-collection-33366305?vk=6ZS9Qs1zVcXY9uJGf2xD
  8. Bashing could be my middle name. I love your take on the cottage.
  9. Oh, no! 😧 This is frustrating, but please understand that Greenleaf is a very small, family-owned company. Without a robust customer service department it sometimes takes a little while for them to respond.
  10. My call would be to stain before assembly and varnishing after assembly for two reasons. 1) I think the gluing stained surface to stained surface would create a stronger bond than gluing varnished surface to varnished surface. 2) The varnish or polyurethane clear coat will fill in the seams where parts fit together, eliminating the paper-thin gaps and resulting in a neater looking finished surface.
  11. You bet--there is a boatload of volunteers here! Ask a question and you will probably get more answers than you expect. Each of us finds the way to work that most suits our skill level, experience, and temperament. You can choose which approach suits you, or develop your own resolution when a challenge presents itself. Enjoy the experience and don't think about deadlines.
  12. True on both counts. But one day you will realize that only you see the flaws. Non-miniaturists especially will be so overcome with awe that they will not register imperfections.