• Dollhouse Preference The Traditional Greenleaf
  • Online Community Building Projects No
  • Digital Camera Yes
  • Real Name rbytsdy
  • Country United States

Recent Profile Visitors

5098 profile views
  1. What are you up to today? This week?

Still toodling along (very sloooowly) with my millefiori quilt top, having picked up some fabric scraps from thrift-store hopping with Mom over the holidays; have to take two pictures now to show you what it looks like by now. It's a big puzzle, really! Am getting to the point where I need to figure out what the edge looks like. Some folks applique to a border fabric, but I am not good at applique and am thinking of just adding shapes around the edge until I get something to which I can attach a wide border strip. Yes, this will take me a while (not to mention that I haven't even started removing all the little papers).
  2. Progress on Chateau de Champlain

Love that kitchen flooring paper! And that entrance is just striking. Very nice.
  3. 1990s Duracraft or Greenleaf?

Welcome, Nancy; when I read your post title, I thought that you were trying to decide between the two, and was going to put in my two cents about that! (Having built some old kits... )
  4. Thanks, Susie-- my customer wanted the SF555 done to look like Robin Carey's SF. I really need to finish the paint touchups and get it shipped. The paperclay was either DAS or Paperclay brand. I find the former to be cheaper though a bit coarser.
  5. Welcome, Susie; I used paperclay to make a stone floor for my SF557, very similar to what Holly said above: For my SF555 (which I was supposed to have finished last year ), I used a textured scrapbook paper which I will probably paint over:  
  6. fairfield-living-fireplace.jpg

Look at that ceiling! Just beautiful.
  7. rsz-img-4371.jpg

That pretty flower wallpaper is scrapbook paper, isn't it? I've used it a time or two-- love that pattern.
  8. The short answer is yes, though my little nieces and nephews, being determined to observe logical continuity, have forced that point! I think that one can take a couple different views on houses for young kids; I chose to go all out for my nieces with Beacon Hill, Willowcrest, SanFran, and others. Electrical, doorknobs and hinges, intricate trims and railings, the works. Yes, they've done quite a number on them with playing with them over the years, but the houses looked really good when they first got them, and I enjoyed doing it.
  9. Calico Critters are short and fat; they look really cute in the Shadybrook cabin:  
  10. Newbie from Chicago

I guess I have always liked them because of Jane and Lucinda in that Beatrix Potter story. (I like vintage-looking dolls though; don't care much for modern ones.)
  11. What are you up to today? This week?

Yep, need a "few" more rosettes here and there...
  12. What are you up to today? This week?

Gayle, it's so addictive! I fall asleep at night thinking of what colors and patterns to stitch next. Looking forward to seeing your work!
  13. Your millefiori quilt has inspired me to try my hand again at quilting.  I've looked at the library for the books but my library seems to think it needs the space for something newer.  Don't get me started on their miniatures section.  I have more books than they do.

What size pentagons did you use?  Did you use a 4 sided or 6 sided diamond?  Did you make your own templates or go with paper piecing?

Thanks, Gayle

1. rbytsdy

Hi Gayle, try this link; if this doesn't work, type into google image search: millefiori template; this image should pop up in the first row. I saved this image and printed it out (many many times) at the same printer setting, which turned out to give me pentagons with a side measurement of about 1 inch. This pattern has a four-sided diamond. I cut out all the shapes from the template referenced above and paper pieced them.

2. Gayle

Thank you ever so much.

3. rbytsdy

Looking forward to seeing your work!

14. What are you up to today? This week?

Finally got the little rosettes pieced together: And then stitched together: So here I have laid the big green and black rosettes in place (not stitched yet); couldn't get enough distance with the camera, or I'd have shown the big red and blue rosettes in place at the bottom: Had hoped, this weekend, to finish stitching everything together that I've done so far, but everything takes twice as long as anyone thinks it will. This isn't the last of the small rosettes, not by a long shot-- I'd say that there are at least half a dozen fairly intact ones, then I have to figure out how to edge the whole thing.
  15. How should I hinge my oven doors?

That's a tough one, with no divider between the doors. I believe I'd glue a length of Al tube on the lower inside, and pin-hinge through it (with a robust pin/small dowel) from each side.