rbytsdy

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by rbytsdy

1. Sorry if this has already been posted; a family member sent me these links, and I had to share: https://mymodernmet.com/chris-toledo-miniature-interiors/ (Is that a Chrysnbon bathroom set I see?) This one is giving me ideas: https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-50840434
  2. Just found the vintage 1/16 bathroom set that I've been looking for on etsy. (Actually I've been checking etsy and eBay every month or so for a while now, waiting for the right set at the right price! )
  3. This is so neat! Reminds me of some of the houses featured in the British TV series Poirot. Love those curvy picture windows.
  4. Unfortunately I don't think I'll have much time to work on this house during the holiday break due to traveling , but I did figure out what to do about the window blinds. I decided to make the same blind design for all the windows, and after some thought about cloth versus paper, settled on a cardstock base with scrapbook paper on either side. I had some Korean rice paper that I had gotten at an art store a few years ago, and it was a good weight to use as an edging (scored down the middle so it would fold over the edge). Used http://caseymini's tassel tutorial. Used fancy toothpicks to roll up on, but you won't be able to see those anyway once the draperies are installed. After much fussing (and an entire lining of yellow stripe in the back; no skimping ), I like how the draperies turned out; I don't know if you can see them but there are tiny buttons sewn onto the tiebacks: Got the side shelves installed, though didn't push the left one in far enough and almost had a small disaster ! (Caught it before the glue had set too much.)
  5. Got the roof shingled and painted! First coat was dark, then used light gray for intermittent touchups. At first I thought it was too dark overall, but it's growing on me. I'll continue to ponder on it. But those roof trim pieces were bugging me: the larger front one wasn't as wide as the others, and there was too much dark/congestion going on. So I painted over the mini-fishscale shingles with a lighter green, and ripped up the roof trim pieces: widened the one, and shortened the porch one, added some features, and redid the "jewel" placement: I like this much better. I figured out what to do about the drab bricks: added copper paint wash, which gives a subtle but definite sheen: Working on shelves to fit that angled roof space in the large bedroom; takes care of the whole awkward trim problem: About time to start thinking about window dressings! What are those little mice doing up there: While shopping for Hallmark ornaments (I've gotten them for the folks for Christmas for years), couldn't leave this one behind! It's too cute-- the Fisher Price school, and the side drops down and everything.
  6. Cornish hens (since I apparently can't do turkey to save my life ) and Prater's sides.
  7. Banjo clock is gone. At least I still have the patterns... Best wishes, Kris, and I owe you alot-alot.
  8. First some tea set and tableware pieces that I got for cheap off amazon (these are just a few of the pieces-- love that teeny bowl), and a couple pieces from the many minis that my aunt sent: This is an awfully blurry pic but it gives a notion of my brick touchups (peach and gray) over the barn red: Here we are after sealing then grout (spackle mixed with water and paints) and after wiping off grout from the brick faces: I think that I will do a little touchup with a paint wash before I seal it; I might have toned down the red too much. Fireplace mantel in dry-fit, with the lightbulbs turned on. This one definitely needs some brick touchup-- went overboard on the toning-down. That lamp shade just needs something. Maybe some copper spray paint.
  9. I hope that the little dome is not too bad to assemble? I just ordered domes for my nieces' birthdays (10 yrs, plus or minus).
  10. I'm a bit of a fabric addict, I suppose; Joann's run (well okay, I probably spent over an hour in there ), and an online order from Etsy: Decided that I must have a chimney. (I know it's not regulation height. ) Egg-carton bricks are addictive; trying out the base color (barn red), which I think I'll try to tone down a bit with charcoal and peach: What you can't see is that I've added a battery pack (will be mounted on the base on the back side) because I decided that I must have a lit fireplace (the main battery pack didn't have long enough wires, and those lights are all used up in the house anyway). By the chimney base, I decided that I must have a lit basement window. While I was at it, I poked a hole by the porch door so that I could have a porch light too. I bashed a hole in my nice papered parlor wall, yes I did: Need to decide whether the mantel will be of brick, or painted. The brick is growing on me; I don't think I'm done cutting tiny bits of egg-carton yet.
  11. Welcome back, and love your "new" house-- that wood floor is fantastic.
  12. Something happened to my pics in the last post: here there are: Some progress views: Detail on the front window: Figuring out how to hide the battery box wiring while working with the given length of wiring: Lights strung out into the attic space: What to do with that wire going up the side of the hallway: Playing with the roofline: Front gable with half-scale fish-shingles: Finally got my order from amazon, some small glass globes that I thought would make a good light fixture element: Inside and outside so far:
  13. I think that's a great shingle for this house-- will compliment it nicely. Had not seen shingles like that before!
  14. rbytsdy

RD-043

Love the colors! So fresh and clean.
  15. Got the "tile floor" from miniatures marketplace installed into the powder room: I think that the bathroom fixtures will have to be white (and the window dressings monotone) in order to balance all that color going on with the wallpaper and flooring. Here's what I've been doing for the past while; always takes longer than anybody thinks, especially the way I do it (for pieces with any length, I mask-tape each layer top and bottom and let the glue set for a while- sometimes all week before I can get to it again- before proceeding with the next layer; helps ALOT with preventing warping): It's good to have that done. Was very fiddly around the small bay corners where the siding has to meet up. You can see there at the interface between the small bay and the 1st and 2nd front walls where I didn't quite make square, and the siding highlights that. It's worse on the 1st floor, but all that will end up hiding behind a prominent porch roof. I am still thinking about what to do over that center large bay window. The original house has some sort of arch-y tableau decoration going on there, but I'm still thinking. I may end up just putting siding there, but maybe not. Got my first layer of paint on-- "Botanical Bliss" (Valspar interior satin "perfect pint"): It shows a bit more blue-y on my computer screen than it quite is. I love it! (Even though the first coat always looks terrible.)
  16. Looking forward to seeing your creation, Jackie. I am doing my own bash of the Artply Allison; it lends itself very easily to bashing.
  17. Starting to look like the photo: Here's how the hallway will look, and the third floor: Understair is lit, and stocked with a tiny apple-shaped shelf unit that I found some teeny things to fit in: Wanted some ceiling medallions, found a soft-metal variety pack on amazon: Figured out that I can't start siding until I do the framing, painted white. I am spacing the siding at 3/8" instead of my usual 1/2"; It will take more siding but will hopefully look more in-scale to the house. Having some fun with the ceilings: kitchen, and parlor (found the plastic lampshades at miniatures marketplace, spray-painted and added beadery to the edge of the one): Finally (after much fussing) have the staircase done, and installed, so could install kitchen ceiling (staircase had to come first b/c the lighting was tied to it). That "hand-rail" looking trim along the wall is actually made from matboard strips, one of which being the neat beveled edge that comes with many matboard scraps from an art store.
  18. Carefully gluing floors and walls, one joint at a time: Working on the stairs: had to bump out the bottom stair so that the front door would open fully:
  19. Welcome, Dawn! I just finished a Newberg and am looking forward to seeing pics of your build.
  20. Whew! More hours and hours, from Kris' window tutorial: And door tutorial: Added some height to the bottom and put things together in a really rough dry fit: figured out where the hallway will be (love hallways): I am going to have to glue the structure together very carefully to keep everything square; those tall bays in particular are getting pretty curvy. Need to put a little sealer on those windows and start mapping out my lighting; found a battery pack with separate lights on etsy: I guess these aren't made anymore? I better order some more from this shop! What to do about light shades?? Looking for interesting ideas.
  21. This is what hours and hours look like! From Kris' tutorials for windows and doors. Got my paper order in from happy scrappin; very pleased: Here are some colors starting to come together: I was going to do the sashes in white, but noticed that my inspiration house has very dark green sashes, so here we go. (I am not good at keeping square...) Got my holiday coupon savings from miniatures.com and Greenleaf for hardware and siding, so that will keep me busy for a while.
  22. I've been foraying into stairs-- these are the kit stair sides: With steps an inch high, this simply wasn't going to work for the mice. I started putting together a winding staircase based on 1/2"-high steps and 5/8"-treads, from foam board and matboard, to see how it would look in the space: Those pieces that extend into the room are just base pieces that would get cut off, but regardless as much as I liked how they turned out, this staircase simply took up too much space in the room. Back to the drawing board-- tried 1/2"-tall steps along the wall and they ended up at the front door, so compromised with 5/8"-tall steps: Relocated the doorway (4" tall!), and I think this will work. The card on the floor shows how wide they'll be. I would prefer the steps to be 1/2"-tall, but I think this is minimally intrusive on the rest of the room. Anyway, I had to do this so I could figure out where the stairwell hole would be in the second floor. Here is everything back in rough dry-fit: The reason that the front door opening is so tall is that it will have a transom window. The bay walls are two layers of matboard glued together; I cut out the windows in each layer separately b/c cutting two layers together would've been too tough! I am deviating from the original house's roofline by keeping that right-hand-side roof tall-- it may look a little funny but I want a third floor, and if I lower it to the left-hand-side roof height, there won't be room enough for a third floor. Now that everything's cut, including doors and windows, I've taken it apart and primed. Last weekend I went to get paints and papers: The paint at the top is Valspar perfect pint interior latex satin in "Botanical Bliss", and I even found square "diamonds" at Michael's for the left gable. I was disappointed with the cardstock selection at HL and Michael's-- the florals are in paper, whereas I am thinking that some of these rooms will do better with a thicker cardstock wallpaper due to the amount of wall patching that I've done (therefore increasing the surface roughness of the walls). I am looking at this site to see if there are some printed cardstocks that catch my eye.
  23. I would not only wait to install railings until the siding is on, but also painted. Looking forward to seeing your build!