Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'Follow darrellandmelissa's McKinley'.

• Search By Tags

Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• The Front Office
    • Welcome Guest!
    • Site Information & Feedback
    • Current Miniature News & Events
    • New Member Introductions
  • Miniature Forums
    • General Mini Talk
    • Question about a Particular House
    • My First Dollhouse
    • Community Projects
  • Off Topic
    • Question of the Day
    • Chit-Chat
    • Other Creative Endeavors
    • Community Trading Post

Blogs

• Mini Man's Blog
  • My Mini Shop's Blog
  • Calamari's Blog
  • The Arthur Dollhouse Kit Construction Blog
  • Nutti happenings
  • The Glencroft Construction Blog
  • The Westville Dollhouse Kit Construction Blog
  • The Haunted Dollhouse Kit Construction Blog
  • The McKinley Construction Blog
  • darrellandmelissa's Blog
  • The Lily Construction Blog
  • The Coventry Cottage Construction Blog
  • Deb's Blog
  • kristenrice's Blog
  • MiniMadWoman's Blog
  • Ms. Mini's Blog
  • Charlene's Blog
  • Peggi's Blog
  • The Orchid Construction Blog (Community)
  • The Orchid Dollhouse Construction Blog
  • ColorMeHolly
  • My First Dollhouse - The Pierce
  • Starfire's Blog
  • dragonfly's Blog
  • wenlaine's Blog
  • Annette's Blog
  • KathieB's Blog
  • peggyquade's Blog
  • my Orchid project
  • ilovecats' Blog
  • heidiiiii5's Blog
  • Anna's Blog
  • uppitycats' Blog
  • whippet-gal's Blog
  • Shelly N's Blog
  • Carrie's Blog
  • Irene's Blog
  • Thelma the Bear's Travel Blog
  • The Magnolia Construction Blog
  • SusannaT's Flower Tutorial Blog
  • Jeff's Blog
  • Poor (Wo)Man's Brickwork
  • kellee's Dollhouses
  • newt's Blog
  • A & A blog
  • Sherr's Blog
  • minime's Blog
  • Christine's Blog - Small World Builders
  • lil buttah's Blog
  • Mini Musings from Mt. Vernon Street
  • Northern Twilight's Blog
  • Muriel's Blog
  • tracibobs' Blog
  • Shannon's mini blog
  • rbytsdy's Blog
  • LPCullen's Blog
  • Tako's Blog
  • asherah's Blog
  • MrsClarkston's Blog
  • Violet2Dawn's Blog
  • Busy Little Bee
  • james dean's Blog
  • Beacon Hill back to back extravaganza :)
  • THmini2's Blog
  • cwoods' Blog
  • My orchid
  • Scratch-built Tudor Progress
  • Greenleaf Gazette Blog
  • Glencroft Bash
  • dollhousediva's blog
  • BuilderJohn's Blog
  • Diana M.'s Blog
  • bookmarm's Blog
  • CheckMouse's Blog
  • Elsbeth's Blog
  • Dollhouselady's Blog
  • ItzKathyP's Blog
  • brandaen's Blog
  • minifan's Blog
  • CraigWoozy's Magnolia Blog
  • amandabee154's Blog
  • cranky's Blog
  • My Beacon Hill Build
  • LifeUponTheWickedStage's Blog
  • Alamom's Blog
  • Merri's Moggie Manor
  • Fairy House Under Construction
  • Making mini things
  • Calamari's Blog (PUBLIC)
  • Mike's Miniatures
  • KathieB's Blog
  • RGT Glenwood Journey & misc projects
  • shamrockgirl18's Blog
  • Trips, Shows and Other Stuff
  • Ravenswing's Blog
  • The Mosaic Dollhouse
  • grynche's Blog
  • Pierce/Annabelle Rehab
  • Fairfield Rehab Blog
  • The Hobbit House Blog
  • Roxxie2's Mini Things
  • ~morningstar~'s Blog
  • Haunting The Orchid
  • kellee's Blog
  • pats' Blog
  • The Kiwi Pierce Build
  • Treedydi's Blog
  • Soapz's Blog
  • Pretty Stone Chantilly
  • Joel's House of Miniatures Tutorials
  • The Glencroft: Master Build Blog
  • First time builder "The Laurel"
  • Glencroft Rehab
  • Barb D'Angelo
  • Johnson Towers
  • Using Paint for Wallpaper
  • Melanie
  • Foxhall Manor REFURBISHMENT
  • Icewolf's Mini Projects
  • Dianne A
  • Spider Cottage
  • BigKahuna's Little Corner of the World
  • The Ginkgo House start to finish
  • The Ginkgo House start to finish

Categories

• Dollhouse Instructions
    • Greenleaf Dollhouse Instructions
    • Corona Concepts Dollhouse Instructions

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Website URL

Interests

Real Name

Member Title

Found 10 results

1. These are the last 2 pics. I will be adding more accesories in time.
  2. These are the pictures I took before the house fell off the wall. The whole house:
  3. These are pics of the final steps we did to finish this house. It is currently finished and hanging on my livingroom wall. My son keeps walking by it and saying "thst's so cool" and turning the lights on, looking a minute at it and turning the lights off. Well, The attic needed some type of light, Since I decorated it to be int progress of being remodeled, I thought a hanging bulb would be nice. When I put this piece of trim on the top Of the shingles, I noticed a gap. I needed something decorative to cover it. Ahhh, some leftover pieces from an old house, (sweetheart), that I did not use. Finall the side of house uder the porch needed a little something so it was rocked to match the side under the kitchen. Ohh and a little bashing before appling therocks, and it because usefull space, instead of wasted space. Will have pics of the house set up as soon as i get the camera downloaded and the pics resized. Melissa
  4. Guest

Porch and attic

We have finished assembling and decorating the porch, just needs shingled now. After 3 different tries for a wall tratment I liked in the attic I decided on this. I still have a bit more work to do on this house. Melissa
  5. While waiting for Darrel to have some time to attach the porch to the house, I worked on decorating the inside. I took LOTS of pics and here are a fewI added curtains and a shower rod and curtain in the bathroomI had purchased this set from Ebay because it would fit in the kitchen with just minimal alteration, since I took the door out.I took the basic sink unit and changed it by adding some faux marble scrapbook paper.The stove section was also covered in that paper. I used some faux brushed stainless steel paper for the stovetop and Darrell fashuioned a stove hood. I also added a shef inside the oven made from painted plastic canvas. Darrell aslo electrified this unit with 2 grain of wheat bulbs, so the range hood and oven would light.This is the cabnets in placeLast pic is of the cabnets lit. I had trouble getting the picture to come out rightm but you can get the idea.Melissa
  6. We have not progressed as much as we would like in the last few weeks. Here is some of what we have done.I took some of the left over crown molding that I used in the living room and painted it a contrast trim color and placed a piece at the bottom of the window sill on all the outside windows for a little extra detail.This is the design I decided upon for the stained glass windows in the front door. I also thought the house needed a splash of color on the outside, to make it less dreary looking. The door has not been installed yet.this is the transperancy for the living room bay windows. My printer died after printing this so we had to get a new printer, just installed it yeaterday. I can print again yeah.I sure hope I can dedicate some time to the house soon, It is so sad to see it just sitting there waiting for attention.Melissa
  7. Guest

Past week or so

This is what the house looked like before the Thanksgiving weekend. We've textured the tower and bay and added siding to the remaining outside of the house.Add a little paint to give the house some color, so it won't disappear against the wall. It's going to be a medium gray with white and dark gray trim colors.The bay roof has been covered with copper sheeting. This will be "aged" to give it the natural copper patina. That will take a few days. And about twenty or so sponged on applications of our "aging" compound. While we were working on the siding on the porch side of the house we added a light above the door. There will be a little mini tutorial on this installation as well as another on a "battle" I had with one of the interior lights that decided it could not make up it's mind if it wanted to light or not depending upon it's mood. So you can see some "surgery" and my basic repair methods. (not for the squeamish) LOL!Then we added some planks to give the porch a flooring more to our liking. These will be aged a bit too with a wash.Here's the interior view of the living room. Flooring, wallpaper, stairs, baseboard and crown molding are installed. Still needs windows, door, draperies, and a few other little finishing touches but this is the basic room. The ceiling is a painted textured scrap book paper.And here's the interior view of the bedroom. We were thinking of adding a closet to the block in the back but haven't finalized our decision on that yet. It also doesn't have windows installed yet. This is the room with the problematic light we mentioned above. Carpeting, wallpaper, baseboard, and crown molding has been installed. The ceiling is textured.The bathroom is beginning to take on an Art Deco look. Here we've got the wallpaper and are playing with the positions of some of the plumbing fixtures and the ceiling is another textured scrap book paper. So except for some minor aging of the copper and porch flooring we're kind of at a stand still awaiting the arrival of another order. We still aren't sure what to do about the kitchen but have a plan and aren't sure if it is going to work because our purchase from eBay on the 18th of last month seems to NOT be arriving. Going to have to start some sort of proceeding to see if we can get that resolved. The attic space is totally up in the air. (in more ways than one. LOL!) Our original plan isn't going to work on this house because it just isn't deep enough for what we wanted to put in it. And we're still deciding things about the windows but have a nice stained glass for the first floor living room windows in the bay and the door. We're also awaiting some flooring material from HBS for the bathroom. We have some for the kitchen but Darrell won't let Melissa put anything in there until he gets cabinets in and knows where all the wiring will go. Compliments of DarrellandMelissa
  8. Guest

Continuing

We managed to squeeze in a little bit more work on the house while awaiting more "parts" and besides, we haven't had time to go pick up paint yet. This first picture shows some of the wiring on the ceiling heading over towards a place to put a ceiling fixture as well as a run going across the floor to the bay window area. You can also see where the tape goes out the top of the door to accomplish two things. Proved a tape to wire the porch light into and to get power to the second floor.Here's where the tape enters the bedroom through the window, and I've begun my one inch from the floor tape run along the walls. Off of this tape, I put a vertical tape going up to the ceiling for the fixtrue there as well as across the floor where it connects to a tape off to the left, which continues through the hallway and into the bathroom.Here you can see the tape wiring done in the bathroom. The tape from the bedroom comes in from the right and goes a short way up the left wall. There I've connected the one inch high run and sent that tape around all three walls and wrapped around into the hallway. You can't see it in this shot but in the hallway another tape connects and goes up to the center of the hall ceiling for it's light. There will be more wiring done in the hall area later so you'll see it when I get to that part. You can also see the mantle that belongs to the fireplace. Workmen leave things in the strangest places. We lost one of the brackets so I used the one we had as a template and made two new ones. Now if I lose another one, we've got a spare.This is a more closeup view of how I sent the electricity to the attic. The vertical tape for the ceiling fixture goes down to the floor. Off of that portion I sent a wire out my cut out hole and it goes across the back of the house on the outside. I'm going to cut a piece of wood and with putty patch up that hole "mostly". But it will not show as something will be in front of it. The main reason I'm closing it off is to protect the upper tape from damage since it sort of floats in the "air" as it cross the hole and I want something more solid behind it. Now the workmen have moved the mantle but left plywood laying around. This is just a shot of the tape wiring on the BACK of the house as it exits the hole on the second floor, and connects to a tape that enters the hole at the attic level.And finally here's the tape entering the attic space. It doesn't go anywhere yet as I really haven't decided what we're going to do up here. But now that we have power up here, we've got plenty of tape wire left to make it go wherever in the attic we want it to be. For sure I'm going to want to put a light in the center of the tower top. Mel has other plans for the attic that may lead me to financial ruin. We shall see. LOL!Darrell Compliments of DarrellandMelissa
  9. Adventures in electricity by Darrell.In the previous pictures the holes I had drilled in the back of the house were round. You'll notice in these pictures they are squared up a bit and made flush with the floors of the house. The first picture is the installed junction splice that will live under the lower portion of the staircase. I made sure it was installed far enough inside the house so the wires won't be pushed and bent up against the wall we hang the house on, but not so far it would interfere with the staircase wall. I had test fitted the staircase and drawn around it on the floor then took it back out to do the wiring.In the previous post I said when we sealed off the doorway to the kitchen I had intentionally left a gap on the bottom to get the wire through. Here's a picture of that.We wanted a light for the porch above the door. Inside the living room the tape goes up the wall and across the ceiling (need lights there too) and then down and out the top of the front door. The porch lamp will be installed on this tape. Notice it goes right back into the second floor window, which gets power up to the second floor. In the living room we also added a tape run centered one inch up from the floor along the wall and ran another tape over to the bay window area where we may install a plug for a lamp or ??? There is also an installed plug on the wall that is BEHIND the area for the fireplace. We will put a lighted bed of coals in the fireplace for now. Later we may change that out for the flickering module. Because this may change later our fireplace will not be glued into place very strongly, if at all.Inside the second floor window you can see where the wire comes in from the front porch through the window. You can see the marks I've made on the wall to guide me in runniing the tape around the walls. This makes it possible to install a plug practically ANYPLACE in the house as long as I put it one inch up from the floor at its center.A little more has been done on the electrical but we haven't uploaded the pics to the computer from the camera yet. DarrellCompliments of DarrellandMelissa
  10. This is the first of two posts showing our fun with the McKinley.As we posted elsewhere we WISH we had added tape wiring to the inside back of the house before assembling the shell but we didn't. And upon getting the shell pretty much together there were a few things we wanted to change.First of all we didn't like the location of the kitchen doorway, so we sealed that one off. In anticipation of needing to get electricity to the kitchen we left a teeny gap on the bottom of our new wall so we could run the tape under it. Baseboard will cover the gap on the living room side and probably cabinets on the kitchen side. We had planned to add a door more toward the outside but forgot to cut it out. So there will be no door. One thing I think dollhouse planners could take into consideration better is that kitchens pretty much NEED two decent sized long walls meeting in a corner. That design would make decorating the ktchen a lot less of a challenge.During assembly and test fitting we noticed we were about to seal up the tiny little faux hallway on the second floor. Thinking it would be really hard to wallpaper it once the attic floor went on, we stopped assembly long enough to pick out a wallpaper and paper that little nook.The house is really a very nice size even though it's not deep and it's designed to hang on a wall. It still is sized almost like a full sized dollhouse. In assembling the roof standing up on a chair was necessary to make sure all the seams were put together well.It was once the shell was assembled and we began trying to figure out how to run the wiring the point that there were no windows in the non open side of this house. We often use windows and doors as paths for tape wire. Due to the wall hangin design this house has a limited number of usable access holes. (The windows that ARE in the house are very well suited and the house doesn't have the "appearance" of lacking windows because of that) So we finally decided we'd have to add a few holes, and planned on locations for them that would not show once the house is finished. In the other post we drew out a diagram of how one could avoid all of this by tape wiring the back wall before assembly, and it's something I'll do whenever we build another one. The hole for the power entry is behind the staircase on the first floor. Another hole was added in the bathroom behind the location for the built in "shelf" unit which we may or may not change. Haven't decided yet. And lastly there's a hole in the attic wall which may be covered with only wallpaper, (don't know yet) so it's behind the area where the valley of the roof comes down, where the back wall is LEAST visible.And here finally is a picture of the fireplace assembly (in process). The "bricks" are painted and scored sandpaper.Darrell and MelissaCompliments of DarrellandMelissa