Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'Follow havanaholly's Arthur'.

• Search By Tags

Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• The Front Office
    • Welcome Guest!
    • Site Information & Feedback
    • Current Miniature News & Events
    • New Member Introductions
  • Miniature Forums
    • General Mini Talk
    • Question about a Particular House
    • My First Dollhouse
    • Community Projects
  • Off Topic
    • Question of the Day
    • Chit-Chat
    • Other Creative Endeavors
    • Community Trading Post

Blogs

• Mini Man's Blog
  • My Mini Shop's Blog
  • Calamari's Blog
  • The Arthur Dollhouse Kit Construction Blog
  • Nutti happenings
  • The Glencroft Construction Blog
  • The Westville Dollhouse Kit Construction Blog
  • The Haunted Dollhouse Kit Construction Blog
  • The McKinley Construction Blog
  • darrellandmelissa's Blog
  • The Lily Construction Blog
  • The Coventry Cottage Construction Blog
  • Deb's Blog
  • kristenrice's Blog
  • MiniMadWoman's Blog
  • Ms. Mini's Blog
  • Charlene's Blog
  • Peggi's Blog
  • The Orchid Construction Blog (Community)
  • The Orchid Dollhouse Construction Blog
  • ColorMeHolly
  • My First Dollhouse - The Pierce
  • Starfire's Blog
  • dragonfly's Blog
  • wenlaine's Blog
  • Annette's Blog
  • KathieB's Blog
  • peggyquade's Blog
  • my Orchid project
  • ilovecats' Blog
  • heidiiiii5's Blog
  • Anna's Blog
  • uppitycats' Blog
  • whippet-gal's Blog
  • Shelly N's Blog
  • Carrie's Blog
  • Irene's Blog
  • Thelma the Bear's Travel Blog
  • The Magnolia Construction Blog
  • SusannaT's Flower Tutorial Blog
  • Jeff's Blog
  • Poor (Wo)Man's Brickwork
  • kellee's Dollhouses
  • newt's Blog
  • A & A blog
  • Sherr's Blog
  • minime's Blog
  • Christine's Blog - Small World Builders
  • lil buttah's Blog
  • Mini Musings from Mt. Vernon Street
  • Northern Twilight's Blog
  • Muriel's Blog
  • tracibobs' Blog
  • Shannon's mini blog
  • rbytsdy's Blog
  • LPCullen's Blog
  • Tako's Blog
  • asherah's Blog
  • MrsClarkston's Blog
  • Violet2Dawn's Blog
  • Busy Little Bee
  • james dean's Blog
  • Beacon Hill back to back extravaganza :)
  • THmini2's Blog
  • cwoods' Blog
  • My orchid
  • Scratch-built Tudor Progress
  • Greenleaf Gazette Blog
  • Glencroft Bash
  • dollhousediva's blog
  • BuilderJohn's Blog
  • Diana M.'s Blog
  • bookmarm's Blog
  • CheckMouse's Blog
  • Elsbeth's Blog
  • Dollhouselady's Blog
  • ItzKathyP's Blog
  • brandaen's Blog
  • minifan's Blog
  • CraigWoozy's Magnolia Blog
  • amandabee154's Blog
  • cranky's Blog
  • My Beacon Hill Build
  • LifeUponTheWickedStage's Blog
  • Alamom's Blog
  • Merri's Moggie Manor
  • Fairy House Under Construction
  • Making mini things
  • Calamari's Blog (PUBLIC)
  • Mike's Miniatures
  • KathieB's Blog
  • RGT Glenwood Journey & misc projects
  • shamrockgirl18's Blog
  • Trips, Shows and Other Stuff
  • Ravenswing's Blog
  • The Mosaic Dollhouse
  • grynche's Blog
  • Pierce/Annabelle Rehab
  • Fairfield Rehab Blog
  • The Hobbit House Blog
  • Roxxie2's Mini Things
  • ~morningstar~'s Blog
  • Haunting The Orchid
  • kellee's Blog
  • pats' Blog
  • The Kiwi Pierce Build
  • Treedydi's Blog
  • Soapz's Blog
  • Pretty Stone Chantilly
  • Joel's House of Miniatures Tutorials
  • The Glencroft: Master Build Blog
  • First time builder "The Laurel"
  • Glencroft Rehab
  • Barb D'Angelo
  • Johnson Towers
  • Using Paint for Wallpaper
  • Melanie
  • Foxhall Manor REFURBISHMENT
  • Icewolf's Mini Projects
  • Dianne A
  • Spider Cottage
  • BigKahuna's Little Corner of the World
  • The Ginkgo House start to finish
  • The Ginkgo House start to finish

Categories

• Dollhouse Instructions
    • Greenleaf Dollhouse Instructions
    • Corona Concepts Dollhouse Instructions

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Website URL

Interests

Real Name

Member Title

Found 14 results

1. Arthur Dollhouse Kit originally posted 6/1/05 I spent the morning making bathroom fixtures out of seashells, I'm thinking of crocheting a shell-stitch curtain for the rectangular window. The bathtub is a large half a bivalve shell with barnacle "feet" and a 3-pointed clear beadfor a water tap, with a tiny amber seedbead for the tap top. The lavatory is pure whimsy, I had a really neat cluster of barnacles with all sorts of holes & angles, I sanded the bottom smooth to glue it to half a bivalve shel for a base. The basin is a different kind of shell (I used to know them, now I just gather them) glued into the hole where two barnacles grew out of each other. I made a tap like the one on the tub. The commode was the most fun, though, and fitting different shells together is how I thought of doing shell bathroom fixtures in the first place. The bowl & lid are a pair of bivalve shells with the bottom of the bowl glued to the opening of a seasnail shell; where the hole is that the starfish made to get at the snail got sanded flat & is glued to the wall. I gilded a coffee-stirrer straw & glued one end into another snailshell and glued the whole apparatus to the wall behind the commode for the tank. I couldn't find any chain so I crocheted a pull-cord for the flusher, complete with bead & tassel. complements of havanaholly
  2. The UPS driver left the box on DH's truck's hood so he didn't have to get out of his truck, he was pulling out of the yard as I ran out to get the box. The first thing I did was to open the box to see if everything was there; one window's missing from the acetate sheet, but I have already thought how I'm going to bash this cutie and will make a replacement.I scribed floorboards & nailholes in the livingroom & upstairs floors & began to prime everything else. The "floorboards" have been stained maple & sealed & everything's lying flat to dry. The livingroom floor is already dry, so I masked it to prime the porch floor. I'll begin painting the porch floor & ceiling tomorrow & finish priming.One side of two partition pieces & one side wall needed filling with spackling compound, looks almost like termite holes!Complements of havanaholly
  3. Finita est. The eave trim is masked in place to dry, the glue is dry & tape's off of everywhere else, and if the weather's pretty tomorrow I'll take it out for finished front picture, & if it's not I'll do it with the flash. Then I can take the roll for processing and add the pictures.The roof might've fit more flush if I hadn't decorated first (as the instructions suggested), but it fit well enough to reinforce with the heavy stapler, which I also did at the corner seams and where the floor joined the wall. This makes everything a lot sturdier, since ultimately it's going to a little girl to play with (supervised, I hope, or else have her folks stock up on wood glue & masking tape!).I guess I ought to note that I did not make the brass bathtub in the finished interior photo. It's the only thing in the photo I didn't make, either from a kit or 'scratch'. Only the dolls are going with this house, but I wanted to "show" it furnished! I really did read over the instructions first, but I think the kit has been redone since they were written, and I have to modify anyway. This kit had a very Alpine look to it, particularly with the gingerbread trim.I had one piece of porch trim and several sheets of shingles left over (for another kit ;) ).complements of havanaholly
  4. The roof is shingled (and covered with masking tape until the little rascals finish drying); DH says the ripples make the shingling job "look real"; isn't he just so sweet!So I decided I have to paint the eave trim to match the roof & peak trim. I sort of wish I had painted the porch trim to coordinate, but think it would've been too much of a good thing. It's going to a lady who loves purple in all its glory & the complementary color to purple is yellow, hence the exterior color scheme...I put some items I made into the house (which will not go with it) to take "after" pictures of the house back, including the dolls that shall go with it.I hope to have the house completed tonight and get DH to cut me a piece of plywood for a base to transport it on. I had to take flash pictures of the roofing job & interior rear, but I'd like to get at least one in glorious daylight. Not that any of that helps with my photographic skills (or lack thereof) ;) complements of havanaholly
  5. Hi-ho, this is fun! The roof actually FITS!!! without too much whacking with the hammer. The porch roof is shingled and the glue is drying on the front roof. I'm not too sure why the front roof is in two pieces since they fit together so it's logical to glue the seam; hope I won't need to reinforce the seam with a strip of wood since I don't really want to make beamed ceilings upstairs and that's the only way I could make a seam brace work. Not too sure how it's going to look until it's finished...The weather has been really icky and I had to take flash pictures of shingling the porch roof; I hope they turn out, I had some leftover shingles that were a different color from the walnut and it made a pretty effect.This is an adorable little house! and not just because it's so easy to build. Oh, may all the Greenleaf kits be this good! ;) As soon as the roof front glue dries I shall take a picture of the inside and put on the roof back and then the front gable. The porch gable looks very nice and I'm anxious to get the rest of the house trim done, most likely tomorrow; depends on how far I get with it tonight.complements of havanaholly
  6. I have the porch trim installed, I have one piece of trim left for the short side railing (I had five pieces for some reason & no, it's not a sill; I used all those (inside the house). I looked high & low for the "embossed 'L'" the instructions referred to for porch post placement, but there wasn't one (or two) so I eyeballed it. Having the porch roof on helped with post placement.I have shingled the upstairs front, the last two courses of shingles are drying as I type and then the house goes back on its back to finish "washing" the shingles with eggplant paintwater. DH says my "stucco" looks "real" (why would I use a technique that doesn't work? Please don't go there...).I shall glue the porch roof on tonight to be ready to shingle tomorrow when we get home. DH has routine labs in the AM so we're making tomorrow a "town day" for errands, etc. I hope to finish roofing Friday, and that's really all that's left to do besides making window treatments, rugs & bath fixtures; I'm going to leave some things for DS's SO to do for her niece, and for the purposes of showing this house can be built in two weeks (OK, I'm taking longer than that because I didn't take it with us to White Springs, but I would've been too tired to work on it, anyway) I'll add extra posts & pictures later.Complements of havanaholly
  7. I hopped out of bed this morning all ready to start shingling the front of the house, upstairs, and took a really good look at the pictures in the instructions. Hmm, the porch roof comes above the "seam" between downstairs & upstairs & I am slap out of spackle, AND I'm going to have to install the porch to see how far up the upper front wall I need to go before shingling. Of course, I'll have to spackle some more and then "wash" the "stucco" with the yellow/ yellow ochre mixture. So I began to paint porch trim & assembled the porch roof until DH awoke & was ready for breakfast.Because we did so much cycling this weekend we were both sore, so we combined needs and rode into town to the hardware store where I purchased another tub of spackle.The "stucco" is finally done & dry and ALL the trim is painted. I made a lovely "wash" and have completed the left (as you're facing the house front) wall. As soon as it's dry I'll do the right wall, and then the downstairs house front, and THEN I can begin to install the porch. Reading some of the other team members' blogs, I guess I'm in for a real treat. I've got some really cute porch furniture.The front door doesn't close tight; this has always fascinated me, because the door parts punch out of the door opening on die-cut kits, and then one sands the door edges & the opening edges, and does only one light layer of paint to tint the edges, so one would expect the doors to open & close Time to paint another wall.Complements of havanaholly
  8. I had to spackle one wall before we left & put on another coat of paint on the trim (WOW).We got home before lunch today so I spackled the front of the first floor. No, I didn't imagine this tub of spackling compound was being difficult to work with, I was using fingers nearly as much as the craft stick, and the credit card wasn't working too well. I turned the house back on the unspackled wall and glued on one of the window trims http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/\html\style_emoticons\/tongue.png' alt=':p'> Much better!For our non-US friends, spackle/ spackling compound is AKA polyfilla.I now have the trim glued on the bathroom (stainedglass) window, and as soon as the spackle's dry on the back of the house I'm going to glue on the front first floor window trims and get ready to shingle the upstairs front. I'll also glue on the front door trim & door, which I've hinged with chamois strips.To make the hinges I cut a 1 1/2" X 1/2" strip of chamois into thirds and glued a scant 1/4" of one long edge along the door edge I want to hinge. When dry, I glued the door trim to the door, over the edge of the "hinges", and clamped the bejeeziz all around. I put "doorknobs" (odd earring studs) on the in- & outside of the other side of the door, so now it's ready to hang when I glue on the trim. I hope the hinges show up in the picture I'm taking of the pre-hung (unhung?) door (see entry for "assembly").I'll have to wait until tomorrow to take more pictures, the light's gone & flash alone washes out color.The problem with the difficult spackle, I found out, is that both the lid & the tub itself had apparently become brittle & had cracked, so my spackle was drying in the tub! I wet my finger & did some repair.Complements of havanaholly
  9. Once all the prep work's done the house assembles FAST! Because I trimmed all my tabs & slots during the dry-fit everything went like it was supposed to. Because the wood glue made the tabs swell slightly I used a scrap of 3/8" plywood to protect the kit wood and my smaller claw hammer to "coax" stubborn tabs into the slots. The sidewalls, lower front wall & foundation are now drying. I'll need to reglue one corner of the foundation that came skewed during the "coaxing' process. I kept my bigger textbooks from nursing school at DH's suggestion that I could use them for reference. Even retired I still refer to them when I need fairly large, flat, even weight on a dh part while it dries.I have a different suggestion for stair assembly for this house, now that I've reglued ALL the treads: once the first floor dividing wall is painted/ papered and the stringers are finished however one wants them to look, glue one of the stringers to the dividing wall & once the wall's glued in place, put glue on the tabs & tread supports of the second stringer & install it. Then put glue on the bottom & edge of the tread that abuts the wall side & lay it flat onto the tread support of the second stringer. Once the glue dries on the second floor I'll reglue the foundation corner & see if I can get the second floor front on & masked. This evening I'll start drawing shingling lines on the roof parts. I'll wait until we get back from our cycling weekend to paint the exterior trim & do the exterior finish. The paint job on the front door turned out very well, the eggplant looks more like a very dark plum, not so black a purple as eggplant, and the yellow is dark enough to look good with it. I want to do an ochre wash on the stucco when it's dry, so I'll paint the exterior door & window trims eggplant, too. I'm thinking I'll wash the upstairs front shingles with the eggplant paintwater. I'll probably use India ink/ alcohol on the roof shingles, maybe stain.I promise I'm taking pictures! As soon as I finish the house & the film roll I'll get the prints on disc. ;) ;) Complements of havanaholly
  10. Between washing & waxing the tandem kayak and intervening to prevent a potential crisis I still had one piece of roof trim & the porch railings to remove from the sheets, which I did before breakfast this morning. Since then I assembled, spackled & painted the interior trim. I've installed the windows (the "stained glass" bathroom window looks neat), and the trim with dry paint; the rest of the interior trim is going on tonight.It has been raining all day, too gloomy to take pictures. I want to take pictures of my unassembled interior walls to show how they look when decorated before assembly. Then the carcase is ready for assembly. Whilst awaiting the return of the sun I'll begin to assemble the exterior trim pieces & paint & assemble the door. The magnetic gluing jig has been extremely helpful with this chore! as well as assmebling the stairs. BTW, there's no railings for the stairs, so I may cut a length of 1/8" dowel & stain it to match the floors & stair treads & attach it to the wall.Complements of havanaholly
  11. Cutting out trim is SUCH fun on Monday AM with osteoarthritis, but those who know how stubb, er, singleminded I am will know that as soon as I do my bit of venting I'm going back in there.I figured out why I was so confused about the interior rectangular window trim, there are only two pieces of side trim, so I needed to remake it anyway; at least, if there are two more pieces I haven't found them yet...I started three ziplock freezer bags, one for the interior trim, one for exterior trim & one for porch parts. After it's all punched out I'll go back & spackle the rough edges and let it dry & then sand & paint! It's taking a lot more time than I had thought, as my hands tire quickly & most of the little bits have to be relaminated, which is tedious but necessary. I decided I want to use the gingerbread trim outside.Once I have the interior trim & windows installed I can put the house together, I think! I'm not sure what I'll use for a doorknob, but I'm going to use chamois or cloth strips for hinges.Well, let's see how far I get today ;) ;) :blink:Further searching of the "nether reaches" of my workspace turned up the other two missing side pieces (interior rectangular window trim! I have issues with how the tiny trim bits are identified on the schematics sheet, mostly related to my elderly eyes ;) Complements of havanaholly
  12. Hi-ho, the paint's drying on the upstairs ceiling, the rectagular windows are in & framed on the inside, and all the exterior windows & door are masked for the non-siding treatment. I have a stained glass window after trying in vain to wrestle with Liquid Lead, which is more of a partially "set" nontoxic acrylic goo that does NOT flow... Fortunately, because I 1) use acrylics straight from the tube & 2) add things to them to achieve desired effects I have a stained glass window that DH said "wow" to when he saw it. I hope the weather's pretty when I take the "finished" house outside to take a last round of pictures...I had to remove one window upper frame & one upper door frame to make the masking tape masks for the exterior and of course, since they're 1/8" plywood x 1/4" wide they broke. This is a common occurence with plywood this thin & my coping techniques is to pour a puddle of wood glue onto a scrap of waxed paper, whip out the clamps & toothpick, & effect repairs. I keep DH's worn-out teeshirts not only for wonderful paint rags but, dampened, for cleaning glue off of wood surfaces.If my back stops aching later I'll start to cut out the rest of the trim & start spackling the edges for painting. I want to paint all the interior trim almond. The exterior trim will be yellow with eggplant highlights. Before everyone starts to gag, I may change my mind once I get started, and the porch will be mostly white. Nutti sometimes changes her mind about color schemes, and I fully understand. Once the house is built I shall make some furnishings & fixtures for it, it already has a home :DComplements of havanaholly
  13. Nothing happened yesterday, we did river clean up in our kayak & today I'm sore all over. Perfect for waiting for glue & paint to dry!I painted the bathroom walls almond and papered the bedroom walls. There is no interior trim for the rectangular windows so I have painted the front of a corner of posterboard I'd already marked out interior trim on, I'll cut it out when the paint's dry. Wainscot wallpaper strip are drying on the bathroom walls, I used a strip of prepasted border in a seashell motif; those who've seen my second Sugarplum & know I live in FL & go shelling whenever at the shore know I like to use shells, so the bathroom will be shell motif...I decided to do a livingroom ceiling medallion which is dry now, so as soon as I close this episode I'll go put the final coat of paint on the downstairs ceiling and also paint the upstairs ceilings white.I think I'll try drawing a sea-theme cartoon for a stained-glass window for the bathroom, since I didn't get enough acetate windows for all the window holes & I'll have more glue & paint drying. Did I mention this is fun? By the way, I did a dry-fit to make sure the tabs go into the slots OK.Complements of havanaholly
  14. This AM I finished priming and began some of the painting. I finished the downstairs floor with painting the front porch floor white and putting "linoleum" in the kitchen. I stained the stair treads and painted the stringers, and as soon as the latter are dry I'll begin stair assembly. I began cutting out the slots and I'll need to repaint the first floor ceiling, not sure if I want to put a ceiling medallion in the livingroom. I'll look at it hard during the dry-fit, which I can do after the stairs are together (I figure I'll be punching out slots 'til then ). Not sure whether I want to paint the roof or just seal it, I'm thinking of not staining the shingles, to see how they'll look & just hit 'em with a dirty paintwater wash...DH is laughing himself sick, he has just realized how addicting this hobby is!Complements of havanaholly