Question about 2 cats in a household??

summerdaisy06

Okay so I have noticed from pictures and avatars that alot of us our cat lovers!

I have a adorable blk/gray tiger male kitty named Tucker. Im looking to adopt another older cat from the shelter ( have always wanted a orange tiger! ) My baby Tucker needs a playmate to let his yiyi's out! :unsure:

My question is though Tucker is not fixed yet... he will be soon ( he's not quite at the age yet )... I don't want to have to deal with spraying or leaving there mark smells or anything...

Which would be best to get a older fixed male cat... or a older fixed female cat... for getting along and not having spraying/sex wars going on???

When we were looking for a playmate for Newman, we were planning on getting a female. Newman is fixed and since we have indoor cats, we thought a female would be better. Didn't want the male to male aggression thing. So, we found our little Lainey. After a few weeks of living with us, we noticed a growth under her tail area. The more we checked, the more that growth looked like a male type thing. So, off we go to the vet to have those growths removed. Now, Lainey is a boy. Although, we still call him 'her' occassionally. Old habits die hard. The two males seem to get along fine. They have their moments when they purge themselves into a rolling ball of fur, but so far neither has been injured. The only issue we have run into is that Lainey is younger and more playful and sometimes Newman is just a cranky old man.

I've got four, all indoor cats. Two are females, a mother-daughter pair. The other two are "unrelated males".

Vets will neuter animals as young as 4 months, sometimes 6, so you might want to get your resident cat neutered.

Many shelters automatically neuter their animals before they can be adopted, so that part might not be an issue.

My two boys get along just fine. One was here for a year before the other one showed up at the door. There was a bit of growling and hissing for a couple of weeks, but we kept them separated when we weren't around to break up any fights, and now they get along just fine, playing with each other, grooming each other, all that.

The mother cat is the Queen, though..and keeps all the rest "in line". Well, as much as cats can be kept in line! :)

I have two boys. Poe is the older at almost 10 years, Tigger is the baby at 8. They have always gotten along fine. Both are neutered. Tigger was nutered at 6 months, Poe at 18 months before I got him. They argue and play fisti-cuffs sometimes, but in general they get along just fine. Poe played mommy to Tigger when we first got him. Princess (our dog) also played mommie too dragging him around with her like a puppy. She favors Tigger as the baby still and will "protect" him from Poe sometimes. In general we have a rowdy bunch with lots of running but now that they are older, they sleep together more and more - most of the day. Then they put on their army boots and run up and down the stairs. We love them!

Wolfie

But none of you had problems with them spraying or peeing to mark there territory... I keep hearing horror stories of that!? :)

We didn't have that problem. We did keep the "new kid" isolated for about a week in "his own room", only opening the door a crack so that everyone could see and smell each other, but not engage.

I think your young cat is probably too young to be territorial just yet..and if the shelter cat is neutered, he won't be marking either (as it comes with "fully-intact" males, usually, and they'll not mark a new territory right away ). And truth be known, some cats are just too mannerly to do it..neither of mine did, and they were both over a year old when they came inside (they both just showed up at the door).

Having multiple litter boxes is a good idea -- cats sometimes don't like to "do their business" in another's box. And especially when you invite the new guy (or girl) in, they'll want privacy in the beginning. After awhile when they get used to each other, it may not be an issue.

I have 4 neutered males. One is elderly and the others are just a few years old.

I got 2 of them when they were kittens so the stayed in the bathroom for awhile and then I gradully introduced them to the other kitties.

I have never had any problems with them spraying or fighting. They often sleep and play together! I would recommend that you have

more than one litterbox since some kitties prefer it.

It probably wouldn't matter if you got a male or female as long as they've been fixed.

I have 4 kitties. 3 males and one female. All have the same parents but from 2 different litters. Originally the older 2 were not thrilled with the younger ones but I just found something that they could all play with at the same time and they seemed to have forgotten that they weren't friends. Have been best buddies ever since. The female is about half the size of the males and the youngest, but she rules the roost. All my cats are strictly indoors and all have been neutered or spayed. I also don't believe in declawing them. With 4 cat trees and the cardboard thingy on the floor, I just don't have any problems. I have always thought we should have more than one pet because I think 2 or more is much easier to deal with. Good luck with your new addition and please post pics. We all love pics!

Of course every cat is differnt, but they will get use to each other. I have heard over and over that a fixed male will not spray. This is not true. Males will spray after they have been fixed. If you get a grown cat there will be a chance of marking their territory. If you get another kitten I wouldn't think you would have a problem.

I got a male cat, 6 months later got a female and a year later got another male. The female began to spray at 5 years old. I tried for 3 years to get her to stop (long story and a lot of money). She had to go. The 2 males were great together. Never sprayed. My daughter took my kitty when he was 17 to live at her house (my other one had died a year before) and she had 2 males that were acquired 2 years apart and were 2 and 3. They all have gotten along wonderfully from day 1. None of them spray or mark. She keeps 3 litterboxes (one on each floor). I also had 3 boxes for the cats. So I guess it all depends on the cats.

We have three litter boxes, one on each floor. No waiting!!!!!! NONE of my cats - past or present - have ever sprayed or peeded where they were not supposed to. I've taken in strays and they were housebroken immediately. Cats are very neat creatures and will normally take to a litter box very quickly. I even had a rabbit that was litter box trained, and I know of people who have "scented" skunks who use litter boxes. By and large "most" cats or cat types are very particular about where they "go." But then again I've known people whose cats were under a lot of stress who did "go" in places other than their boxes.

Keep the boxes cleaned out daily, and you should have no problems. I use Super Scoop Litter which makes things a lot easier. I get mine from Costco in either 30 or 40 (can't remembe which) containers and that is the best litter I've ever used. I'm thinking of adding a 4th litter box on the main floor in the bathroom as a "spare." Now that my kitties are getting older it would be more convenient for them.

Wolfie

In the 20+ years of having my own cats i only had ONE that was a problem with going in the litter pan. That is my outdoor cat Baby. No matter what I did, used, placed the pans, did a pee-pee dance to the litter gods..nothing worked. So he is the only and will be the only outside cat I ever have.