Question ??

Cayrol

I have some questions for you ladies you all sound very knowledgeable to me and I look on you as my mentors as there is no one to call here> I would so like to beable to ahve a friend to come help some times. But I have a 37 year ols son who lives at home after a very nasty divorce and i drive him crazy at times with questions :thumb: . He builds ho scale trains so he si some help.

I am working on a Orchid right now and would like to know if it is easier to put the roof with gables installed or work throught it like the instructions.

And what type of glue is best i hate hot glue as i always burn myself. Is carpenters glue ok?

And is all right to use different size minutars in a christmas cottage ? This one is my own idea and I have used a small add on room can not remenber the name of the kit but i want get it done for christmas so is it ok to add different sizes as long as they are not overpowering?

Thank you very much for listing to me whine. My dh are my out let right now as we are trying to get the horse rescue started and my daughter is pregant with twins which will be here next week a month earlier.

My son informed me last night after sighing for a kit from ups guy that he was not signing for any more and i was not to bid on e bay :lol: o does that mean no more kits ?

Lots of us here don't use hot glue on houses, especially on the major construction like foundations and walls. It'll dry out over time, particularly if you have your house in the sun, and it can fall apart. Wood glue is fine, Elmer's wood glue is used a lot. If you go to a craft store, you'll find Aleen's glue in various versions -- thick, regular, etc.. It's a white glue that works really well, too.

I can't help with the roof, I've not built that house.

As for size, while scale is important, sometimes just "eyeing" something and seeing if it seems to fit works OK.

Your SON told you that you can't bid on any more houses?? If you have the $$, why not? But that's just me.

As it is your house, your eyes that are getting the picture and it is supposed to please you, you put things together to your own liking!!!!

And as for your son's remark.... hmmmpf on him LOL who took care of/takes care of him right now with allowing him to move back home??? It isn't like he is the one who is paying for the items or anything, he can put his sig on the line for your items!!!

Hugs and can't wait to see your creations!

I built the Orchid and followed the directions. It was pretty simple putting the roof on. I use tacky glue for all my builds and it seems to work just fine. Oddly enough, our UPS man doesn't ask for a signature. He usually just puts the package on the steps and leaves. Don't know if that is good or bad.

Cayrol,

I never have to sign for UPS packages. I think maybe years ago I signed a form sofor UPS so I wouldn't have to sign each time I got a package.

Your son told you you couldn't get more houses!!!!

Come on now you're not his child. My son would never dream of saying anything like that to me.

Perhaps some assertiveness from you is in order.

It makes me mad just thinking about it. Send your son to Ohio I'll straighten him out!LOL

Thank you all so much....i swiped my sons wood glue to use and a empty brass creamination urn to use as weigh.( never used) ;) ....We only have to sign for our packages if the ups guy is new and I guess he thinks my mini horses might bite him or somthing....So he wants proof he was here for his insurance

The you can't have any more houses is only till we get moved he in formed me. I have 2 sweethearts bought for 2$ apiece at a church yard sale , another orchid,the hickroy ridge cabin the pioneer cabin a haunted house, barn and the big southren mansion I got for a killer deal off e bay. Than there is the van buren i got for 15$ and after driving 2 hours round trip found out it was incomplete

But thank you so much ladies for all the tips i will learn from you all i am sure....When I am able i will put a couple pictures on :thumb: :lol:

I have some questions for you ladies you all sound very knowledgeable to me

There are some astoundingly knowledgeable and highly skilled men on here, too, Cayrol ... don't overlook them! :thumb:

I'll second the advice given above ... choose wood glue over hot glue for construction. And so far as scale goes, go with whatever looks good to you. There aren't any miniature police patrols coming to check whether or not the scale is accurate!

Tell your son to go clean his room and never mind your stuff.

I like wood glue. Please don't use hot glue. (Except for shingles - you use a dab of wood glue, then a dab of hot glue so you don't have to tape them in place while the glue dries and you can finish the whole roof at one sitting)

I have built a bunch of orchids. They are simple and pretty. I put the roof on first, then the gables. I find it easier that way to make sure everything is level. Be sure to dry fit everything before gluing. (That means tape it together to make sure it all fits tight and well) It is easier to resand or trim something before it is covered in glue.

Thank you so much for the advice and i will remenber the gentle men . I am using wood glue and working slow, dry fitting asi go and just told my son I need more painters tape. My craft room is all doll houses right now. My scrapbooking are on hold.....Have to work tomorrow but look out when i get home :thumb:

Hey there Cayrol!

Just chiming in. I did the Orchid and I followed the instructions except I put the windows in last..makes it easier for decorating inside.

I use heavy books, big cans of crushed tomatoes, soup cans stacked up, and masking tape. I dont have any claps so I have done just fine with making due.

My daughters are 18 and 14. Everytime I get a package in the mail they question what it is and I tell them *NONE OF YOUR BEESWAX*

In the immortal words of Bill Cosby.. This is MY house and I am allowing you to live here. These things are MINE not YOURS. Your bed is MINE, the tv is MINE, those shoes on your feet are MINE...you get the point.

When my mother passed and we were clearing out her house, I grabbed a plate that she had hanging over the kitchen sink for many, many years. On it is written: This is my house, and I do as I darn please. Now it hangs over my sink. :flowers:

You know there are many place to store flat dh kits; under beds, under sofas, in closets..........................

And as to the rest, I swear by Aleens tacky glue for most anything, the quick grab type is the best.....at least for me...........

When my mother passed and we were clearing out her house, I grabbed a plate that she had hanging over the kitchen sink for many, many years. On it is written: This is my house, and I do as I darn please. Now it hangs over my sink. :flowers:

Love that saying Kathie, and I can sooo undestand you wanting to display it!

Hugs

I agree with everyone else on here. I use either wood glue or Aleen's craft glue on my houses and safe hot glue only for the shingles. I built the Orchid and followed the order in the directions and found it to work great.

As for your son, if he is living in your house then you can set the rules--that is how I see it. I don't have any children yet, but I cannot imagine going to my parents house and saying they can't buy something and I won't sign for it. Hope that helps.

Can't wait to see pictures of your Orchid!!

Cayrol, your son is living in your house since his divorce? And he's 37 years old? I assume he's also working fulltime, and playing with trains is his way to relax, like dhs are yours. If he doesn't want to sign for your deliveries or feels it necessary to tell you what you can & cannot do in YOUR house, perhaps it's time for him to grow up and take his trains and move out.

When my mother passed and we were clearing out her house, I grabbed a plate that she had hanging over the kitchen sink for many, many years. On it is written: This is my house, and I do as I darn please. Now it hangs over my sink. :drool:

That's so funny my grandma had that plate too. I love that one. My Aunt had one that said "If you have something to say about my cooking go eat somewhere else!" Wisdom, wisdom

Cayrol, your son is living in your house since his divorce? And he's 37 years old? I assume he's also working fulltime, and playing with trains is his way to relax, like dhs are yours. If he doesn't want to sign for your deliveries or feels it necessary to tell you what you can & cannot do in YOUR house, perhaps it's time for him to grow up and take his trains and move out.

Holly, you took the words right out of my mouth! :drool: