Gobble Gobble Gobble

heidiiiii

I only have to buy $10 more worth of groceries to get my free turkey. I am not going to be donating this one this year because money is tight and charity begins at home.

I have to dig out my Bon Appetit and Vegetarian Times magazines to see what we are having this year. Chelsea is still vegan so I have to be creative. I found a good recipe for vegan cheesecake I might try with pumpkin pie filling.

I am already getting hungry thinking about it.

Mmmm! Turkey. Sausage stuffing, whipped potatoes, roasted veggies...*salivation*

Just reading about the dinner plans got me all hungry and I sort of just had lunch LOL

Today I am "working" on preparing one of the cabbege (it is not the regular white cabbage heads it is one of the green cabbeges with "frizzy" leaves, can't find the translation for that thoiugh...) dishes we will be having at Christmas, just rinsing and parboiling it really today, but it is a looooooong process, but then again it is so well worth it as I know this cabbage in question is grown locally without any pesticides haven't been shipped back and forth etc etc, but truthfully, I would rahter have played with my minis today....

Hugs

This year we are planning to go to Thetford,Vermont to our little cottage on the hill, and have a quiet dinner there. The cottage has no insulation, just a wood stove and a fireplace for heat. We have electricity, phone only cold running water ( I hope it has not frozen) and the menfolk use outdoor plumbing if at all possible. VERY RUSTIC. There are no electronic toys allowed, only a radio for weather purposes.........quite relaxing. I plan to gather all of my supplies before we head up Wed night before, so we don't have to stop to shop for things. A small turkey, small everything since there will only be the 3 of us............and 4 days of peacefull quiet, communing with nature.................

Plus side is the shopping on the way home; King Arthur Flour Shop is only 30 min away...........and Yankee Candle factory is on the route home................The Farm market too, and maybe even Basketville...........

Oh Dawn that sounds so interesting. I am not a rough it kind of gal but that sounds just about right to me. And the shopping you will get to do afterward! Drrooolll!

I heard some bad news from Fred. He has to work Thanksgiving, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.

Good because we can use the extra money, bad cause he isnt going to be here.

So I think i will use my free turkey thingy to get money off a hotel turkey breast and just do what the girls and I want for the day. This stinks!

I am trying to be excited about Thanksgiving ( my daughters b-day is the 20th), but the inlaws have aready put a big damper on it. My mother in law and I always spilt Christmas and Thanksgiving, she did Christmas and I did Thanksgiving, and it worked great; until we moved. I asked If they would come down here, ( we don't have money for gas to go up there) and Dh's Aunt and uncle already said they would love to come. Well she said no. Then DH asked his dad ( before I could tell him she said no) and he said yes. So that means she will come, but she will be in a bad mood the whole day.

Sorry Shaky..I was going to say a two word phrase that I always say when these kind of situations come up but I will refrain...one of the words is Tough.

I am kind of glad Fred is working..we wont have to go to the inlaws...Not to disparage inlaws just mine are better taken in very small doses.

Cranberry sauce! Gotta have some homeade cranberry sauce!

I don't know where we will be this year. If my husband is off I suppose we will go to Oxnard. Last year we were here and I had it with my neighbors but they have transferred out of topwn so now it is just us. If we are here I will cook and the kids will be happy. Then we will change the tree out to Christmas...yes Christmas I love my christmas tree and I keep the christmas ornaments up as long as I can. :flowers: I saw a pink one up for sale at walmart...maybe I can sneak it in to the girls room...they would love a hello kitty tree. I have been dieing for a pink tree since last year!

Mmmmm oyster dressing! I wait all year for it!

I am having my side of the family here. Not sure yet who will all make it here. But each of my sisters will bring part of the meal. Bad part is that my husband may have to work. Less then a month away....unbelievable!!

well we are going out for dinner as of now.....

BUT DH who ask so little still needs his turkey and oyster dressing and I have to make pumpkin Pie...only difference between turkey day out is the turkey to cook is 12 lbs and the dressing will be in a small cake pan instead of the big foil pan.and 4 ppies instead of 6

soooo glad I go for my WLS checkup before Thanksgiving.seems like since I have to cook I should just do it and quit whinning about it.....NOOOOOO I wont think that way!

I am going out!

there will be a big variety if we go out and as long as we are all able to go together what does it matter??

nutti :flowers:

It will just be the five of us here this year...possibly our friends Lee and Dorothy - however, we are not planning on it. Doug, me, Princess, Tigger and Poetry Man will partake of our traditional turkey dinner....and then play for the rest of the day! While I am cooking said dinner, I will also be doing mini things! You can take the girl out of the minis, but you can't take the minis out of the girl! LOL

I like it better this way! Without company! I love to read while I'm having dinner, as does Doug. So he will read his Cabalas catalog and I will read my favorite mini books!

Wolfie

Heidi I wish I could just say that, but it's just not in me.( yet, I'm working on it) It has been so nice since we moved. I have noticed I have been soooooo much less stressed. Don't get me wrong she is a very nice person, but she has never had kids and does not understand why the house is not always clean or why I am late to or sometimes forget things she plans. It was very stressfull for me. Dh's aunt is a total different story. She had three boys. I can talk to her about anything and she is very encouraging. ( they offered to bring there turkey down for the day)

Nutti can you take this year to teach them how to make the pies and such? That way you won't have to be so close to the food and they can help in future years then too. You could always just buy pies this year if they don't want to learn.

• 2 weeks later...

11 days and counting....

I have my 9 lb hotel turkey breast in the freezer. I am going to defrost it starting next Monday. I want to start that soon because I am going to brine my turkey.

I have cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie filling, stuffing (pepperidge farms), potatoes, and acorn squash.

I also have apples from going out with Dawn..I hope they last that long. They will be eaten up..LOL

What are you making for turkey day? Have you gotten your turkey yet?

We are going to my Dad's in PA> I haven't seen him in a couple of years. They are putting us up in a Hotel for two nights. I want to come up with something that I can take, that will survive being out of fridge for 5-6 hrs, will be safe to reheat the next day. Any ideas? We are leaving here on Wed. morning and coming back Fri. night.

I have the day off however i will be carrying the beeper so yuck i won't be able to really enjoy my day. I really dislike being on-call. I doubt i celebrate again this year. Prolly get a pumpkin pie as usual, but that's all. So i'll probably make it a mini day, if i don't have to go in and take care of a patient.

All this talk of t-day food! yum!

You highlight a word or sentence in your reply. Then you go up top and see that thing that looks like links (the one next to the smilies). You click that and then you put the address of the link you want. Then we can click on it and see what you are talking about. Same with pictures..(the thing next to the link thing)

We always get a small 12 pound turkey from Deans company so that is in the freezer now

I also found pie pumpkins on sale at wal-mart so I have 6 of those to do up for pies

not sure when we are doing it...probably on tuesday

other than the Pies I HAVE to make and the turkey for DH I am NOT cooking

we will be going to a locale resturant this yr.

I will make my pies on Wed night like I have done for yrs.

toss the turkey in oven on Thursday morning. so DH can have his Thanksgiving sandwich that night.

when my boys were small we used to put the VCR in our bedroom and watch movies and eat leftovers after all the company was gone.

This yr due to the WLS we are going OUT

not because I dont want to cook but because I have NO will power when it comes to certain items and if I cooked those things would be in my fridge taunting me....Halloween was hard enough....all that candy and not one nibble!

can we say oyster dressing,homeade noodles,sweet pots,Baked corn,cream cheese pudding

Turkey,

OH MY!

so glad all that food will not be in my fridge!

nutti :D

I have a turkey in the fridge just in case we stay here and some canned corn, a frozen pumpkin pie and stuff to make brownies. Because If we are here it will just be me and the kids, hubs will be working.

He is all for me going home it will be the first time in 9 years that my mother nad her youngest sister have spent a holiday together speaking. They have put their differences aside since my momma Rose died. I guess they finally figured there is no reason good enough not to speak to each other until the day they die...long story behind it. Any way I would like to go too but we are always in the hole after I spend a week in Oxnard so we'll see... :D

I ordered Chelsea`s turkey today for pick up tomorrow...or should I say Tofurkey. I AM NOT MAKING A HOMEADE ONE! They are too labor intensive and she would walk away and leave me to do it all on my own..LOL

I still have to go over recipes for vegetables. She loves string bean casserole but cant eat the cream of mushroom soup so I am going to search to see if there is another way of making it just for her...I will still make the regular kind. I found it..yeah!

I saw something on tv that I want to try...Mashed Turnips with Crispy Shallots. The crispy shallots would be good in the mashed potatoes too. Mmmm!

I am going to make corn bread and go to the bakery and get a loaf of fresh italian bread. I am making a vegan pumpkin pie. I have made this before and OMG it is soooo good. And this is coming from a die hard baker and sweet eater!

I ordered Chelsea`s turkey today for pick up tomorrow...or should I say Tofurkey. I AM NOT MAKING A HOMEADE ONE! They are too labor intensive and she would walk away and leave me to do it all on my own..LOL

I still have to go over recipes for vegetables. She loves string bean casserole but cant eat the cream of mushroom soup so I am going to search to see if there is another way of making it just for her...I will still make the regular kind. I found it..yeah!

I saw something on tv that I want to try...Mashed Turnips with Crispy Shallots. The crispy shallots would be good in the mashed potatoes too. Mmmm!

I am going to make corn bread and go to the bakery and get a loaf of fresh italian bread. I am making a vegan pumpkin pie. I have made this before and OMG it is soooo good. And this is coming from a die hard baker and sweet eater!

I got a Jenny O' turkey. No defrosting already basted and seasoned in a baking bag! Just put it in the oven. Of course you can't stuff it but, I am the only one here who eats oyster dressing and I like it in the bird. But, my husband thinks it's gross so no stuffing. I have decided that we should stay here it just seems a trip home will be too financially troubling in the end. The kids will be off for a week so we can just stay home an immerese ourselves in christmas movies and baking everyday. Which I love when it starts to snow here. We just pull out the sofa bed after the house is claened up and me and the kids watch movies while the cookies bake!

I love a little snuggle, snuggle with the monkies! Next year I won't be able to do this I will be in school! And going to Oxnard will be absolutely out of the question for me! We will be super broke with me in school!

I am going to just have corn and whipped yams as hubs will be working a double most likely! Then a pie and fudge as the enders. Maybe devilled eggs to snack while waiting for dinner. I love the holidays even when we're broke!