Gobble Gobble Gobble

heidiiiii

Oh Arda, I think that sounds wonderful! Except for your DH having to work. :)

We have been joking about having a "Walton's Christmas" since DH's contract has ended. He even said he could get stranded in the next town and I'd have to send DS out in the snow to find him! No, thanks!

It will be great if we get to have him home all through the holidays, but interesting trying to conserve savings and Christmas shop! No one here ever really wants much. They are so hard to shop for! I'm the most materialistic in this family. I love Christmas and bargain Shopping (yes, with a capital "s"!) I loooove finding just the right things for them! So, it will affect me more than anyone else. But, being together, realxed at home is what I really love, so we will have what's most important no matter what. The kids are growing up so quickly, I know it won't seem like any time at all before they will have their own places, and it will all be so different.

As for Thanksgiving, just us, and my dad - less stressful. We will visit an aunt and cousins on another day that week. Turkey breast, stuffing, etc. on Thanksgiving day and I am planning to fix other small meals throughout the week with healthier versions of things we love at this time of year. I don't want to fix it all on one day and overeat - we have been trying so hard this year to be healthier. This way, we get most of the things we love, just spread out into smaller meals. Less exhausting for me, too. I get so excited to get up on Thanksgiving, have my coffee and watch the parade. We always make homemade orange rolls for breakfast. Funny story - I always remembered my dad making Pillsbury canned orange rolls on Thanksgiving morning, so that's been our tradition, but no one else in my family remembers it! They think I must be imagining it! So, we have a tradition that I have "continued" but actually made up, apparently!

Sorry so long winded today - I am really excited at this time of year!

6 more days to go!

I picked up the Tofurky yesterday. It comes with *giblet* and mushroom gravy, stuffing, potato/cranberry things, and a fake wishbone.

Chelsea has some of her friends coming over on Wed. They are coming home from college and they are newbie vegetarians. They want *Mom* to show them some recipes and they want to cook. This is going to be interesting. The day before thanksgiving and I got some 18-19 yr olds wanting to invade my space...but heck! I have someone to peel the potatoes for me.. Score!

The one thing I love about this time of year....the grocery store sales. You are able to pick up so many goodies for so cheap. Nuts, fresh herbs, bags of potatoes and onions, cans of pumpkin (we use them all year), flour, sugar, etc. My pantry is stocked! I mean like if you breathe in the direction of the opened doors...things will topple over.

This is one of the reasons I wait until this time of year to stock the pantry. It was very very echoy in there until this past week.

4 more days.....

I took the turkey breast out of the freezer and put her/him in a bowl and into the fridge to start the defrosting process.

Has everyone got their Bird? or Ham? or Tofurky?

Speaking of birds..I need to look to see when they will be showing the Cheers Thanksgiving episode called Birdzilla. That episode always makes me laugh.

3 more days.... :p

My house is a MESS! I have teenage boys coming to my house in two days and my house is a MESS!

Natalie is making a pumpkin pie in culinary class this week. She goes to school today, tuesday and half day on Wednesday. They are making the kids pay $2 for the pie they bake or it will be given away. I want to have a taste of her handiwork but I think her pie being donated to a soup kitchen would be better...I am leaving it up to her.

Has anybody started anything?

Cooking? Packing for a trip? Dvr-ing the games...Fred is peeved. He has to work and is going to miss the football. He and his friend were in hog heaven yesterday. Fred`s team (Patriots) played and won and then the second game his friend`s team (Cowboys) played and won. I am glad they have their man time at the friend`s house...hahahaha

I am really looking forward to TG Thursday, since for the first time since DH and I have been together, we are home alone since his huge family, that lives in the area, started a new tradition! TG family dinner on Saturday about an hour from our house (his nephews). I am going to cook bone skinless chicken breast with stuffing for our petite TG dinner (since I already have them in the freezer). We will likely get a free turkey from Shop Rite for Christmas time (since we havent bought enough yet to qualify).

My family isnt very close - emotionally or geographically - and my mom died in June (father and little brother gone too). So, I love DH's family but Im not used to so much family stuff (they are always getting together locally). I get a little overwhelmed with the big traditional meals, etc with 15 + people. So, having TG on Saturday is just another day. For these big gatherings, I hide a little and read the hostess's magazines I am too cheap to buy! The family is used to me and never take offense.

I love Christmas Eve dinner at home...DH and I just hang around and open half our presents (save the rest for Xmas morning).

2 more days.....

I am going to make my desserts today. An apple pie and some kind of pumpkin dessert. Not a pumpkin pie...Maybe a pumpkin cheesecake or a pumpkin/gingerbread thing. I dont know. We will see how the wind blows....

Thanksgiving here won't be much. One of the girls has been invited to a friend's house, and I'm sure the other one will be going with one of her friends for most of the day. I got a duck to cook for Lloyd and me and will make green bean casserole, spuds, and sauerkraut. Would love to find a sugar-free pumpkin pie, but haven't seen one.

I'm going to devote the long weekend to finishing the houseboat and photographing it. :yes:

I am making my pies tomorrow and Dean will put the Turkey in Thursday morning

that is all the cooking we are doing...coz we are all going OUT

my house is a mess also!

all the Christmas boxes are down and I have started decorating for the Christmas season.

I am making one batch of Pumpkin pies with splenda for myself and another person who is diabetic

and I am making my pumpkin bread with wheat flour instead of white.

and one batch again made with splenda for myself and my friends FIL

I adore Pumpkin pie!

nutti :yes:

2 more days! Sigh..... Doug and I will be here with our "children" Tigger, Poetry Man and Princess. We have decided we don't want any leftovers this year so we are getting a small turkey breast. Will have wonderful and moist sage dressing, green bean casserole (Doug's favorite), pumpkin pie (homemade) and other goodies. The dog and cats will be parts of ours plus doggie biscuits for Princess, and some goodies for the kitties. It will be quieter than usual...but neither of us are up to having company this year....besides I will also be using that quiet day to finish dressing "people" so I can get them sent off on Monday.....there will be 5 boxes being sent out very soon, plus a trade to another lady on another trade list I belong to.

I wish for everyone a peaceful, safe and happy Thanksgiving!

Wolfie

Today is my daughters B-d ay so will will be having brownies tonight and watching Ratatouille. ( we will have cake on Thurs. when the rest of the family is here. ) Oh and I am off the hook for the mushy peas! I am sending FIL the link so he can buy them when ever he wants. Tomorrow I am making the bicuits with the kids to be baked Thurs. Then it's just cleaning the house.

Earlier this afternoon my MIL called to remind me about Thursday, I asked her what about it, it seems that my darling DH forgot to tell me that we were invited to his parents for thanksgiving :ohyeah: . He's so lucky that I really didn't plan on doing anything. Honestly I really don't want to go I just want to sit at home and work on my minis, that is more exciting then going over there and listen to everyone complain. But hey it's food that I don't have to cook.

It's going to be pleasantly quiet over here this year. Just hubby and I and maybe his son (who never calls to confirm).

I looove leftovers so I got a 12lb guy. I'm not much of a baker so, I orderd a pumpkin pie but, all else will be made by me...all day :ohyeah: Yummm, I'm getting hungry now!

Well, I had planned on staying here but my mom is missing the granbabies so much that my sister said if I wanted to come home she would put gas money in the bank for us! So...my husband has to be at work at 6 am on thursday...which means I will be driving alone...ugh 12 hours...It will be okay though I plan on leaving super early maybe three or four am so when I get there it will still be light outside and I won't have to make any stops in the dark!

At least I can do laundry for free! Hope everyone has a good holiday! take care!

Well, I had planned on staying here but my mom is missing the granbabies so much that my sister said if I wanted to come home she would put gas money in the bank for us! So...my husband has to be at work at 6 am on thursday...which means I will be driving alone...ugh 12 hours...It will be okay though I plan on leaving super early maybe three or four am so when I get there it will still be light outside and I won't have to make any stops in the dark!

At least I can do laundry for free! Hope everyone has a good holiday! take care!

Have a safe trip, and a Happy Thanksgiving! (What a sweet sister!)

Well I got a surprise today....we ARE having company for Thanksgiving Dinner...so Doug surprised me with this news....so off to the store we went and got a nice turkey rather than just the breast and we will do it up fine! But I'm not cleaning the house and the people who are coming are also bringing with them the new stair rails! Yeah! So why clean when it's only going to get messy again anyway?!

So I went out and shoveled all afternoon - 75 feet of deck with 2 plus feet of snow....on either side the snow fell off the roof onto the deck so in places there was almost 3 or 4 feet of snow and ice. What a job. It took me almost 4 hours and two falls to get it finished.

Wolfie

1 more day left..... :ohyeah:

Today I will brine the turkey. Then I have lots of little things to do. Put together the deviled eggs, assemble the veggies in their casserole dishes for tomorrow, I have to make a vegan pumpkin pie...

No company coming so I dont have to worry about making the house spotless. Fred is working so I have to send him off with a nice plate for dinner.

Oh! I need to remember to take the tofurkey out of the deep freezer too.

Still a little bit leery about putting up the Christmas tree.. :D

Still a little bit leery about putting up the Christmas tree.. :D

I know how you feel. I went and got a little tree at the dollar store just to see what the cats would do and they did nip and chew on it (and even tried to carry it away :ohyeah: ). But after a few days they left it alone I guess cause it didn't appeal to them anymore. So I'm going to put up the big tree but hold off decorating it for a few days until the 'hey that's something new we can play with' passes. Maybe you could try that.

Happy Thanksgiving to all! I am putting this out there now because I know a few of you will be going....

*cue music*

Over the River and Thru the wood,

To Grandfather`s house we go..

The horse knows the way,

To carry the sleigh,

Thru the white and drifted snow..Oh!

Over the River and thru the wood,

Oh, how the wind does blow

It stings the toes,

And bites the nose

As over the ground we go!

Over the River and Thru the wood,

To have a first rate play,

Oh, hear the bell ring,

"Ting a-ling Ling!"

Hurrah for Thanksgiving Day-ay!

Over the river and thru the wood,

Trot fast my dapple gray!

Spring over the ground,

Like a hunting hound!

For this is Thanksgiving Day!

*ahhh! Memories. My mom used to sing that song.*

Today is the day!!! WooHoo.. Turkey day!

Succulent bird

Tofurkey with dressing

Sausage stuffing

Orange Sweet potatoes

Mashed potatoes

Green bean casserole

Roasted Brussel Spouts

Almond Asparagus

Cranberry Sauce

Gravy

Rolls

Deviled eggs

Crudites with dip

Rolls

Apple Cider

Sparkling Cider

Pies, Pies, Pies!

I am also feeding Fred`s friend...divorced and cannot cook his way out of a paper bag.

The turkey breast just went into the oven. I massaged it with olive oil and sage. I stuffed the cavitiy with a garlic bulb and 2 lemon halves.

Mmmm! I am hungry already!