Just joined - a question!

robedsaul

I have just joined and am still looking at ALL the options there are out there in the world of dollhouses! WOW! It's all new to me, so all the houses are starting to run together!

I am interested in buying a dollhouse for my 9-year-old DD for us to work on together. I read an earlier similar post, and the Sugarplum was suggested. Who sells this, and where can I see it?

I have already considered the Arthur and the Buttercup. They are both so adorable! These are pictured with smooth outside walls -- can they be done to look like siding as well? If so, does that have to be ordered in addition to the basic kit?

Once again, I'm a newborn in the dollhouse/miniature world, so I would greatly appreciate any guidance anyone would be so kind as to offer!

Heather

Welcome to the forum! The Arthur is a favorite house of mine and can be decorated in so many different ways. We did a Blog on that house this past summer you can click on blogs up at the top of the page and look for the Arthur.

I used siding on my Arthur

Pick the house you like the best. I love the Sugarplum too because of the fireplaces and furniture that come with it:

post-4-1133318881_thumb.jpg

post-4-1133318890_thumb.jpg

I don't have pictures of the buttercup but I know Linda does. I don't see the album though (Linda where are all of your pictures :lol: ??)

Welcome to the forum, Heather. I have built the Sugarplum (HBS sells the kit, I'm sure any mini store selling Greenleaf could order it for you if it's out of stock) and the Buttercup for children to play with.

I bashed one Sugarplum with an extra wall downstairs.

The Arthur is also a great house for a child, although the one I built has been appropriated by the grownup at present :blink: :lol: :p

I have already considered the Arthur and the Buttercup. They are both so adorable! These are pictured with smooth outside walls -- can they be done to look like siding as well? If so, does that have to be ordered in addition to the basic kit?

Heather

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to the forum Heather, and what a great project to work on with your DD! How exciting for you! I can't really recommend a house, because there are so many that I LOVE!

In regard to the Arthur though, yes, you can put siding on that house, and here's a picture of what I did with mine:

post-6-1133320435_thumb.jpg

Also, you can go into the blogs and look at the building teams' different Arthurs and the things that different people did with them.

Thanks to all for your quick replies! I checked out the Arthur blog and...WOW! I'm so amazed and impressed! It's really cool to see how one house can be customized so many different, creative ways!

Linda, I really loved your version...it's so cute!! BTW, I'm from NC too!

I'm leaning toward the Arthur for the time being, but would love to see some finished photos of the Buttercup as well!

Where is the best place (online, store, etc...) to buy all the "stuff" you need to tackle a project like this? (Remember, I'm a baby, hold my hand, treat me gently!) :-)

my opinion of the most comprehensive all around miniature online store is

miniatures.com also known as Hobby builders supplies (HBS)

you can get kits and all from them.

but you can also print alot of things and e-bay is a good source of supplies or furniture. lots of internet possibilities.

I have done a buttercup with my daughter and her friends.

the made the cub pub a teen hangout like we have here in our home town

post-9-1133327934_thumb.jpgpost-9-1133327889_thumb.jpg

she uses Bratz dolls for her and her friends.

it was alot of fun.

but if you want to do kitchen bath bedroom and front room I recomend the Arthur

it is an easy build with great results!

very versitile!

and hey!

WELCOME to the forum!!

nutti :lol:

Welcome! :lol:

I agree with what others have said - pick a house you and your daughter both like and are excited to work on. I bought my first house kit based on the price... never really liked the house itself... and it turned into a chore to build. I learned a lot, but it's not a house I love passionately as I do some of the others I'm working on.

There are lots of cute smaller houses to choose from. I haven't built an Arthur but I like the looks of it. My Mom has a built but unfinished one that she wants me to decorate for her (once I get some other projects done!)

I just ordered an Orchid kit for my 5, almost 6 year old daughter. I hope it will be a good kit to work on with her. That might be another option for you to look at... Is this supposed to be a surprise for your daughter or could you show her pictures of the ones you are considering and let her pick her favorite? (I didn't let my daughter help pick out the one I got for her because it's supposed to be a surprise, but I have a couple of other smaller house kits on hand that I could trade her for if she ends up not liking it :blink: ).

I agree that HBS is a good place to get started for shopping. If they don't have something you are looking for you can just ask here on the forum and I'm sure someone will know a place to get it. :p

Anyway, sorry for babbling and welcome to the forum! :lol: Can't wait to see what house you decide on and I hope it ends up being a fun project for you and your daughter. :D

Thanks to all for your quick replies! I checked out the Arthur blog and...WOW! I'm so amazed and impressed! It's really cool to see how one house can be customized so many different, creative ways!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I liked all the different ways everyone did their Arthurs too!

Linda, I really loved your version...it's so cute!! BTW, I'm from NC too!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for the compliments! Where at in NC are you from? Are you still in NC?

I'm leaning toward the Arthur for the time being, but would love to see some finished photos of the Buttercup as well!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it's a finished Buttercup you'd like to see, then here you go!

post-6-1133355022_thumb.jpgpost-6-1133355071_thumb.jpg

Linda,

Thanks for including the photos of the Buttercup...decisions, decisions! I may indeed need to have my DD help me choose -- maybe between the two of us, we can slowly narrow them down! :-)

I have another question -- the thought of making a mouse house really appeals to me because years and years ago, my grandmother made a really cute one that hung on the wall, no deeper than a shadow box. My mother had it, but no one is sure if it is still around, packed up or whatever, because no one's seen it in years...Is there anything like that still out there that we could make ourselves?

Yes, I'm still in NC - Mayberry girl! How about you?

Hi: :lol:

Your daughter is 9 yrs. old, and you are going to build it with her, I would suggest that you do a small house to start with so there are not so may parts and it doesn't take to long. You want to keep and hold her attention. A 4-room is a great starter, either Greenleaf, Duracraft or Real Good Toys I think are excellent manufactures. All these Co. have web sites to view there Dollhouses. Enjoy and happy hunting

Except Dura-Craft went bankrupt, I understand, & is no longer in business :lol: Some dealer sites that still sell the kits have pictures of what they have, our ol' "workhorse", HBS, has pictures of the kits still in stock for sale.

I agree with William, pick a house that will hold her attention. I have a ten year old and she re-arranges her roomboxes, frequently to get the effect she wants, and uses her barn for a bed and breakfast inn...She has three more houses, and different ones she likes for different reasons. I would suggest to keep her interested ask her how many rooms she wants, who is going to 'live' there, and what their favorite colors are, they will get her imagination going. Bratz dolls make great starters for the dollhouse. Take it a couple of things at a time, and she will not get bored.

Hi and welcome!

I agree with LisaN and William -- go with a dollhouse that holds your DD's interest. Size doesn't seem to make a huge difference in the difficulty of getting the shell together... there's just way more trim to manage in the larger houses.

Of the ones you've mentioned considering, I'd personally veer toward the Arthur because its four rooms are all large enough to be "real" rooms where your DD can rearrange the furniture. The Sugarplum and the Buttercup are both adorable, but I think they lend themselves better to shops or to being treated more like a diorama.

One nice thing about the Arthur is that it has a simple, shallow rectangular "footprint" so it will fit on a 12"-deep shelving unit. Houses that turn corners (like the Pierce) are more challenging to display and store. It's also easy to eliminate the stairway in that house, if you're nervous about small hands working around it. In some houses -- like the irresistable Glencroft -- the stairway is more important to the design of the house.

I am doing the Laurel and primrose with my daughter right now. She just turned six and she picked them out. One thing I like alot is that there is not alot trim with them and nice sized rooms. She has been able to help alot with the painting and planning. One thing about the buttercup or Orchid is the upper room is not big enough for a doll to stand up in. That happened on our primrose. You can bash them to make them taller but that may be better left for a second house.

Oh and welcome!

Loved Brandon's Sugarplum! What a difference the "downstairs" make.

Speaking of differences I know there were someone who had altered a Primrose I think by adding height to the upstairs??? SInce I have a Primrose in its box and it is crying about being isolated :lol: and now I wonder where I saw the pictures/How to on doing that???

Might have found a source for the foam core, keeping my fingers crossed til tomorrow afternoon.

Hugs

Please someone correct me if I am wrong, but if they have styrofoam coolers in Sweden, assuming you can get the right width, won't that work. I know I was surprised to find that the insulation foam I bought at Home depot looked like stryofoam. I know here in the south you can buy styrofoam coolers at convenient stores. So will this work?

Peggi

The difference with foamcore is that there's a paper-like surface on either face of the foam, so you have a smooth surface to wallpaper.

It should be available in Sweden, though, since it's a commonly used art supply -- people use it to mount posters for business presentations and so on.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...p?showtopic=914

this shows a bash to make the primrose attic taller.

we used foamcore and although it is thicker than the walls we made the uneven part be on the inside where we will hide it with trim and such.

but yanno ya use what ya got around. Ill have to take some more photos because it is wallpapered now.

I hope the photos help.

nutti :blink: