Hello to All from Southern NY!

Cricket

Greetings! I ran across these forums while trying to ID the house I built with my father some 25+ years ago. I knew it was a Greenleaf, but exactly which one.... turns out it's the Rutherford. We made plenty of mistakes building it, but even more memories that I'll cherish forever. The house itself turned out quite nice, but after 25 (or more) years of moves and storage, it's seen better days and I've been planning to restore it for quite some time. Now add to that, just last night my husband's cousin sent me some pics of a house she thought I might enjoy restoring. This one is the Pierce, and it's also seen better days. So that now makes *TWO* restore projects for this winter! (I'm so excited!!!) I'm sure I'll have PLENTY of questions, like... where do I even start? LOL

Just a little more about me... I'm an avid fashion doll collecter who enjoys repainting and sewing for them. My main collection is 1/4 scale dolls, however Barbie (and 2 of her A-frame houses) live here as well as many others. I also collect model horses and make tack for them when the mood strikes. My husband and I recently moved into a house that's over 200 years old (another restoration project) and I finally have my own room for the dolls and their houses! We have 5 children between us (ages 6-17), 2 cats, a pommeranian, and a blue & gold macaw.

I'm really looking forward to chatting with you all, and occasionally picking your brains for ideas on these 2 wonderful dollhouses!

Best regards,

~Jeni

Welcome!!! Glad you found this site. So many friendly people here to help you and give you ideas.

Check out all the galleries of photos of dh's and other projects.. some amazing work.

and of course... after you make 5 posts you can upload your pics. Peeps here love the eyecandy of all kinds.

Happy building!!!!

Michelle

Thank you for the welcomes! Yes, I think between both houses I should be very busy. So far I have only seen the Pierce in the quick pics my cousin (in-law) took, but from what I can see it looks to be in roughly the same shape as my Rutherford.... missing trim, bannisters, windows, but seems sturdy enough. There doesn't appear to be any siding or interior finishing, so that house should be wide open to many possibilities!

The Rutherford still has all it's window, but I never was very fond of them. Might eventually upgrade to nicer ones but for now they'll do, especially since I'll have to find replacements of some sort for the Pierce. (Working on a tight budget here) The outside was done in a stucco by my dad. If I remember correctly, he did this by mixing sand in the paint. The large room (the dining room, in my house) on the first floor has been wallpapered and that's about as far as I got with it. I did make some hardwood floors for it, but they didn't survive a move at some point. Back to square one on that. One thing I wanted to change on it.... That first floor staircase! I always thought it was a bit odd that it went "backwards", so that you really can't see the stairs. Anyone know how involved it might be to take it out and turn it around? :nono:

Welcome!!! Glad you found this site. So many friendly people here to help you and give you ideas.

Check out all the galleries of photos of dh's and other projects.. some amazing work.

and of course... after you make 5 posts you can upload your pics. Peeps here love the eyecandy of all kinds.

Happy building!!!!

Michelle

Thanks Michelle! Oh I've been LOVING all the pics in the galleries! So many beautiful photos of some amazing houses! That could get dangerous... I may want a few more (Hubby would KILL me!) I've seen some gorgeous pics of the Pierce, now I'm both really excited and a bit intimidated by that one. I'm hoping once it's here it'll tell me what it wants to be.

Welcome to our wonderful favorite place on the Web.

*TWO* restore projects for this winter...PLENTY of questions, like... where do I even start?
I have done two rehabs so far (after the first one I swore never again, after all the swearing I did at it!), and I can tell you it's a lot easier if you can disassemble parts of it. My last one was blessedly easy because whoever had built it had followed the instructions and used hot glue. Hot glue may make your house fall apart after a few years, but it is a whole lot easier to remove!

I wonder how it'd look if you were to bash the Rutherford and the Pierce together (while you're at it).

I have done two rehabs so far (after the first one I swore never again, after all the swearing I did at it!), and I can tell you it's a lot easier if you can disassemble parts of it. My last one was blessedly easy because whoever had built it had followed the instructions and used hot glue. Hot glue may make your house fall apart after a few years, but it is a whole lot easier to remove!

I wonder how it'd look if you were to bash the Rutherford and the Pierce together (while you're at it).

Hmmm, so what you're saying is that's my bird is likely to learn a few (more) bad words? LOL

I was afraid someone would say take it apart.... I have no idea how the Pierce was built, but we built the Rutherford to last... and it has. I fell over it once and only lost a bit of the trim. Bashing the 2 together.... interesting idea.... that would be one BIG house!

Hi Jeni, you may want to look at my Pierce remodel project, I was able to remove the stairs and relocate them, also some walls. My favorite part of this hobby are rehabs. Check my link below to see if my Pierce rehab pictures help. Good luck and have lots of fun. :nono:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...m&album=685

Thankyou Greg,

It's the stairs in the Rutherford I'd like to move... if it isn't *too* much of a pain to do that. Nice work on the Pierce, and I also saw your new arch in another house... VERY nice!!!

Hello and welcome Cricket!

Nice to have you aboard! You'll have fun here doing your restorations....and I warn you, you might as well forget working on your reallife house, as this place is very addictive!

Again, welcome!

Wolfie

Hi and welcome to the addiction :thumb: you're going to get really hooked on this forum. So where in southern NY do you live? I live in northern NJ :wave: Just wondering....

Wow, a BIG thank you all for making me feel so welcome! This place certainly IS addicting, and a lot of that has to do with all the enthusiasm you all have. It's wonderful! :thumb: I've been reading a lot here and looking through the galleries (WOW!!!), now I'm not feeling quite so intimidated by these 2 houses. I'm still not sure where to begin, but the theme here seems to be jump in and go for it. I think I will.... just as soon as I tear myself away LOL

Hello and Welcome. Good that you found us, I think you will find this a helpful group. As for where to begin. check the archives and gallery to decide what needs fixing and how you want you finished restored house to look.

Thanks Aggiemea! Decide what needs fixing... Ok, that's the easy part. I've got the beginnings of a working list for both houses. Deciding how I want the finished projects to look.... wellll...not quite so easy! LOL Actually, I've had some pretty specific ideas for the Rutherford all along, it's just a matter of finding the perfect parts. (Yea...right...that sounds easy. NOT! LOL) But the Pierce! Oh my Lordy that's going to be TOUGH! I've seen so many AMAZING photos of members' houses, each one bringing whole new concepts and ideas. Maybe once I have it here and can get to know it in person, I'll know just what to do with it. :thumb:

Thanks again, got some thinking going now!

But the Pierce! Oh my Lordy that's going to be TOUGH! I've seen so many AMAZING photos of members' houses, each one bringing whole new concepts and ideas. Maybe once I have it here and can get to know it in person, I'll know just what to do with it. :wave:

I love the Gallery and look in almost everyday. I won a Pierce in the Greenleaf mini month contest :thumb: last week and started to look at them in the gallery for ideas. It has been mind numbing, especailly the interiors. Having a plan will save you house of frustration esepecially with wallpaper. In a big house the finishes, flooring, paper and paint needs to flow from room to room. Sometimes I will see a nice exterior on a house but then the interior view makes my eyes bleed. I see this on EBay all the time.

I won a Pierce in the Greenleaf mini month contest :wave: last week and started to look at them in the gallery for ideas. It has been mind numbing, especailly the interiors. Having a plan will save you house of frustration esepecially with wallpaper. In a big house the finishes, flooring, paper and paint needs to flow from room to room. Sometimes I will see a nice exterior on a house but then the interior view makes my eyes bleed. I see this on EBay all the time.

Congratulations!!!!!

Yes, I see what you mean. I'm having the same trouble deciding what to do with the Real house. I know what I'd *like* to do with the individual rooms, BUT, is it going to flow throughout the entire house? That's part of my attraction to minis, you get to try out some things first, but if it doesn't work at least you don't have to hire a contractor to fix it. :thumb:

Hi Jeni, welcome to our group! :thumb:

What wonderful winter projects you have - the Rutherford and the Pierce. It'll be great to follow along and see what ideas you come up with.

Lucky you - a room for the dolls and dollhouses! With 5 children and all those pets, I'm surprised you were able to squeeze out an extra room!