Hello from Wisconsin

lanabelle

Hi! I am a total newbie from Madison, WI...I've never had a dollhouse before, though I've wanted one since I was a child. I've been looking at kits and houses now for a few months off and on and finally my desire has come to a rolling boil and I'm jumping in.

I really wanted to do a kit to get it just like I want it but I doubt my abilities, so I've been toying with the idea of having one built. I've even talked to someone about building a Glencroft for me and it sounds as if that one is a challenge anyhow, but the English cottage look is my top lustee and I want it to have a stone exterior, the "how to" of which completely baffles me. I have a Sweetheart kit at home and I think that may be a good one to start with. If I find I can handle it I'd like the Woodstock kit from Real Good Toys (can you see I have big ideas already?)....

BUT...

I WON a built house on Ebay last night and I'm so excited about it!!!! MY VERY FIRST DOLLHOUSE AT THE AGE OF 50!!!

Since I'm such a newbie, I have no idea what will need to be done when it arrives or how to go about fixing it up and making it pretty but I guess I'll be learning. Its a Dura Craft San Franciscan and I'd love to hear any comments, pros, cons, ideas?????

Welcome to the neighborhood! Congratulations on your fist house. I built a house for a customer of mine last year. It was for her 80 year old Mom who always wanted one a little child so there is NO age limit on having fun and owning a house :banana:

Since your house is already built, sounds like all you have to do is decorate which is quite fun. The Glencroft is a house I am in the process of building right now (Half done on my table :lol: ) I have been using my own blog to figure out things. Seems like I got stuck in the same place twice so I am so happy we have the blogs here to help. If you do decide to build a house later, we will help you through it. They look more intimidating than they really are.

When you get your San Fran house, Please post pictures.

Thanks Monica and Tracy! And yes, I WILL be building a house...I need a project for the winter. I've been a doll collector but now I find I need a hobby with more interaction.

I forgot to post the link to my first house...

post-4-1194378460_thumb.jpg

Edited by Minis On The Edge
to remove ebay link & add picture

Hi, neighbor!! I'm in Wisconsin, too! There's a dollhouse group in Madison..I'll look around and see if I can find a link to them, and send it to you .I'm too far away to attend, but it sounds like a really fun group, and you'd get lots of inspiration and help from them.

Congratulations on your first house! Yes, all you'll need to do is start thinking about decorating..and whether you want to tackle lights, and flooring, and all that.

The Glencroft is a lovely house. She's next on my list to build. After my Row of Shops, Emerson Row, Cottage, Archaeology room box... etc.. :lol:

Congratulations!! Sounds like you've been bitten by the dollhouse building bug . . . you came to the right place . . . we're all infected too!! :lol:

I'm in Wisconsin too! Middleton to be precise! Welcome to the forum, you'll find lots of inspiration and information here!!

Welcome to the forum. I have the Glencroft waiting to be built. She started talking to me as soon as I took her out of the shipping box. She'll just have to wait for a while, but I hope she doesn't stop talking to me in the mean time.

Hi and :lol:! Congratulations on your San Fran!! It is a great house. I made one this past year. There are pictures in my gallery. It will depend on what you want to do with it as to what you need. Remember to enjoy it!!

I think you should try building a house. Maybe choose a smaller one first to get some more confidence (and learn some things as you go) and then do your dream house.

:banana:

Welcome, Lana. Y'all are welcome to your WI weather, we in N FL are getting our taste of wintery weather already. My first-ever dh kit build was the San Franciscan, it took me 3 1/2 years and was a learning process (I'm a slow learner & was attending nursing school at the same time, at the ripe young age of 50). It went to DGD and has faded into history, the last I heard.

I love to build dollhouses now. Here is my Glencroft blog, and you can adapt my template method for applying bricks (which idea I "borrowed from Beryl Armstrong's book How to Make Your Dollshouse Special): med_gallery_8_151_168883.jpg

I would build another Glencroft in a heartbeat (not another pub, though, and with several cosmetic changes).

Hello and welcome!

Working on my first dollhouse too. Everything I've learned... I've learned from the wonderful members of this forum. Seriously fun, informative, and amazingly talented folk here.

Good luck w/ your houses, can't wait to see what you'll do first!

Michelle

Welcome to the group, Lana! :)

The San Fran looks to be in good shape, do you have any plans on what "theme" you'll go with? By that I mean, what period, or colour schemes, or what kind of family lives there? It's much easier (IMO) to have a theme in mind when making decorating decisions.

The Sweetheart is a cute house - hope you try it!

I have been dreaming of a Glencroft for ages - although it may be a little complicated to build I will try - there are so many helpful members here (and blogs) to guide me if I run into difficulties. There are lots of tips on making stone/brick walls. Several links to online tutorials - just ask (or do a search in the forum) when you want to try making one.

The more you look around this forum - check all the galleries - the more you will gain in confidence and inspiration. YOU CAN DO THIS!!