10/06/07 RFID In Kids Uniforms

Minis On The Edge

Last year I asked you all how you felt about the RFID (tracking device for kids ). Well, they are actually "trying it" in the UK on school children to track were they are. The device is in there school uniform. Read the artical HERE . How would you feel if they made that manditory here in the USA? It's not Manditory yet in the UK or here in the USA (though there was some talk about this in California.

Can we get those for person use? Actually, with the way the world seems to be today, it doesn't sound like a bad idea. Children seem to be at high risk lately and I feel as a parent that we should know where our children are. I am not saying we should follow their every move, but there are a lot of not so nice people out there. I know that cell phones can be a great tool to stay in touch with your kids, but they do not actually tell you where the child is. "Hi Mom, it's me. I am checking in. Yeah, I am at Mary's house <actually I am at Ben's house>. We are gonna head to the library <yeah, maybe, after we hit the mall>. Oh, is it okay if I stay the night with Mary?<read into this anything you'd like>." I know, I know, we should trust our children. I know my mom trusted me and I still did things she would have approved of. Not awful things, but things teenage kids do. The same stuff my son did and his son will do. It is just a fact of life. So, knowing where our kids are when they are supposed to be in school doesn't sound like too bad of an idea to me.

I think I like the idea of having it in there clothes but originally it was a chip that you can implant into people. I guess they do this for pets now in some areas. I know it might help deter people from harming children if they knew they could be located because the kid has a chip. Isn't it something how much life has changed?

The only thing I worry about is that people will find ways to use this info against us in a way that can harm us.

knowing where our kids are when they are supposed to be in school doesn't sound like too bad of an idea to me.
And of course no child is going to think of slipping into a change of clothes once they're at school and hooking it whilst their clothes show that they are obediently safe in school...