New member needs Help!

PonyMom

Hi,

I just signed up hoping someone can help me. I have an OLD kit without instructions.

Model Homes TM

A Collector Quality Doll House Kit

model # 1007 the Cape May

1" scale

I guess the company doesn't exist anymore?

Anyone know anything about them or where I can get some instructions?

Yes I suppose. I've never built a doll house but I have worked on real houses and it does have a picture on the box. It just has a gazillion little pieces!

It was given to me 10 yrs ago from someone else to whom it was given that didn't want to attempt it.

Obviously I've put it off too long myself and my daughter is 11 now. It has become an issue of doing what I say because I've said we'll build it as long as she can remember!

Welcome, Renee, I posted a link over here just a few minutes ago, before I'd read your post here. Without a schematics sheet or instructions You really do need to invest in some masking tape and start what we call dry-fitting your house together, taping but not gluing, to see how it goes together to look like the box picture.

Obviously it would have been helpful if whoever gave it to you had bothered to make sure the instructions, etc, were also in the box, but what an opportunity to create!

Do read over the FAQ section.

I don't know that one either - but if you look through the blogs here you will gain a better understanding of how different houses are put together. If you can take and post pics of the pieces, and how you think they might fit (with masking tape, as Holly suggested), then between you, your daughter, and the many helpful members here, that dollhouse just might get built! :welcome:

Welcome to the forum, Renee!

After you make 5 posts, you can open your own gallery. :wave:

I googled it. All I found was a "Cape May Cottage" by Northeastern. But it's in 1/144 scale. It's a darling house, doesn't look too complicated at all.

Maybe it's the same one? But in different scale.

The site was Alittlemoreinminis.com

Michelle

I googled it. All I found was a "Cape May Cottage" by Northeastern. But it's in 1/144 scale. It's a darling house, doesn't look too complicated at all.

Maybe it's the same one? But in different scale.

The site was Alittlemoreinminis.com

Michelle

Thanks, I looked it's not the same. Apparently this is a big one, 19x43x35 7 rooms + tower and full staircase.

It has a wrap around porch on the bottom floor and almost a full porch on the second.

You might PM Newt or calamari, our dh kit gurus; they might have some info on the manufacturer that could help. You can click their names on the "members" list and then click on "send a message" to PM them.

Model Homes put out lovely kits, but very complicated. They have pieces of molded siding that slid down notched corner pieces to form walls.

If you have built dollhouses before, you might be able to figure it out. If not, I'm not sure whether you could find instructions or not. It's a tedious build, even with experience, but the houses were gorgeous.

Model Homes has been out of business a long time. My first kit was the Model Homes Southern Plantation.

After rereading your posts, I see you have never built a dollhouse before. Model Homes kits were built significantly differently than most kits as far as the shell of the house.

If I lived close to you, I'd be delighted to come and help you sort it out. Model Homes kits are rarely on eBay and when they are, they go for many $$$$'s.

Model Homes put out lovely kits, but very complicated. They have pieces of molded siding that slid down notched corner pieces to form walls.

If you have built dollhouses before, you might be able to figure it out. If not, I'm not sure whether you could find instructions or not. It's a tedious build, even with experience, but the houses were gorgeous.

Model Homes has been out of business a long time. My first kit was the Model Homes Southern Plantation.

Well nothing like diving in head first! I read your posts to hubby and he says "SELL IT!" :thumb: He's pretty tired of it sitting around...luckily we have lots of storage space! I've held onto it for 10 years because I intend to build it but everytime I look in the box I find something else that I need to do first... :thumb:

After rereading your posts, I see you have never built a dollhouse before. Model Homes kits were built significantly differently than most kits as far as the shell of the house.

If I lived close to you, I'd be delighted to come and help you sort it out. Model Homes kits are rarely on eBay and when they are, they go for many $$$$'s.

That would be great! but I live in Colorado...

Sort of like Dura-Craft all-wood kits?

I have no idea, haven't seen a Dura-Craft either. I'll post some pictures of my "Geez, do I really have time for this?" project as soon as I can.

Maybe I should post my question in another part of the forum too? Probably not everyone reads new member posts.