Cameras

Hallowell

I noticed that Gina and many others here take wonderful pictures. I'm thinking of replacing my digital camera with a newer one. Here's my question. What do you use for a camera? do you like it? What are it's specifics like amount of pixels and magnification? And if you don't mind saying, what it cost and where you bought it. Thanx . Any info will be greatly appreciated. :welcome:

I have a Canon Powershot A540, it's 6 megapixels and i'm pretty happy with how the pictures turn out despite the fact that i'm the photographer. :welcome: I paid around 200 with tax. So that give s you an idea cost wise.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A540/A540A.HTM

I'd actually like one like Andrew's....one of these days i'll buy one. It's pretty cool.

I have a couple of digitals that I use for different things. The first is a Canon S2IS, this one is 5 megapixels. It's a point and shoot but has a full sized lens. It does up to 12 x optical zoom (forget digital zoom it's useless) with image stabilization, which allows sharp pictures at hi mag, the longer shutter speed creates no image distortion. I think I got it for $350, but the S3IS is cheaper now and it's 6 megapixels. That would be hard to ge wrong with.

My current main shooter is a Canon Rebel XT, it's an 8 megapixel digital SLR. It's currently available at good prices since the release of the XTi (10 megapixels, but that's essentially irrelevant unless you want to make posters). I got mine for $500, but no lens, Marg and I both have film Rebels so the lenses are compatible. I did get a lens later, since I got a great deal on a Tamron 28-200mm zoom. I love the Rebel it has a softer image than a point and shoot since the variations in light intensity are more subtle, so it doesn't deliver the artificially sharp image of a point and shoot.

Hope this helps mate.

I use a Sony Cyber-shot 8.1 megapixels. My husband bought it for me for Christmas last year from Circuit City. I am thinking he paid about $300 for it, but it might have been more because he got me a HP Photosmart 475 photo printer with it and the whole set cost about $600.

It takes outstanding pics.

Greg, I have a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-S70 that uses memory sticks. It takes wonderful pictures - it's several years old now, and Doug bought himself a Canon and paid over $1,000.00 for it, and my camera takes better closeup shots than his dones! The Sony was his before he got the Canon, and the day his new camera came, he gave me the Sony. There is no magic to taking good pictures. All that I know say "READ YOUR MANUAL" and concentrate on the type of pictures you want to take. Want to take pictures of mini? Read all you can about focus, white balance, macro, etc. And just focus on those things before you delve into any other programs on your camer. My camera also takes video movies...not very long, but they are good. It also has a great Carl Zeiss lens which is capable of reproducing very fine images. I don't know how many megapixels it has but whatever it does, it does good enough for me! Doug touts his Canon as if it were made of gold - yet his closeups are not as good as mine....of course it could be that he refuses to use the "cube" and he doesn't place his subject in a very good light.... He used to take all of the pictures of my dolls - one shot each. And never allowed me to turn the doll so people could see the sides or backs of them. I used to get very frustrated when he did the pictures for the web, as they were never clear enough for me. Anyway that is the story of my little camera - and it's not so little. Oh yes, and get a tripod if you want to take pictures of minis! I have an adjustable one that goes up and down, and swivels all around. Very important for staging pictures! Cost $19.00.

Wolfie

1,000 for a camera? Wholly smokes!!!

I'm using a disposable and my blurry webcam. grrr.. A nice digi cam is on my Christmas list. " Ohhh Santa??!!?

My Ex just bought me a new flat screen plasma monitor for my computer. I told him I didn't need one, What I have is just fine. But he insisted it's better for my eyes. I'd rather have a digicam or cash! lol. That was really nice of him and I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

I just bought a canon power shot A710 with image stabilizer and all sorts of functions from point and click to fully manual.

Excellent camera and images. I still love my old Sony but need to get the flash light part serviced.

My only comment is don’t get all bent out of shape over getting huge mega pixel numbers in a pocket camera. Anything from 7.7 (6 really) down is more than enough and over will kill the image quality. You need an SLR type camera to make higher pixel counts work as they have bigger lenses etc to gather enough light for a clear photo. (believe me I bought a good 9 mega pixel pocket camera and couldn’t get rid of it fast enough!)

You'll just end up reducing the size of the picture anyway.

Cheers

Glen

We've got a HP Photosmrat R927 - 8.2 megapixels. We bought a Hewlett Packard (HP) so that it would be compatible with our computer and printer.

Ray takes good pictures - I take lousy ones. Good camera - bad photographer. Our computer has a media centre and everything .... but I don't really know how to use the features.

-Susanne