Going to gross the family out today....

heidiiiii

I took out one of Ina Garten`s cookbooks from the library (Barefoot Contessa/Food Network). I am going to gross out my family today because I am going to make real honest to goodness chopped liver..hard boiled eggs and all!

I have my matzo at the ready..drool!

Is there something that you love to make that just turns your family green...in disgust? And you dont care because it is just sooooo goooood.

That cats are going bonkers. The house smells great..(to me). The livers are in the fridge cooling off now.

You have to cook the livers and onions in rendered chicken fat. You can get unrendered in the frozen kosher food section. Then you just melt the fat in a pan over low heat.

I know sounds gross to some and fattening as all get out. I just wanted to add this to my repetoire of stuff I can make.

Chelsea is going to a pot luck today and we are making a nice casserole.

Arborio rice with roasted yellow peppers, red peppers, eggplant, onion, and garlic, in a lemon sauce with thyme. Serve room temperature. You are supposed to dot with Feta cheese but she doesnt eat cheese so we are omitting that.

Been racking my brain over what might gross hubby out but so far no luck in that.. But I know that when we had Trixie she used to go nuts when we roasted her liver treats (with just a hint of garlic rubbed over them) and not to forget when we made the liver paté... She would tap dance all over the kitchen until it was "tasting" time...

I do hope you will enjoy your chopper liver dinner, and Greg that also sounds like a part of heaven!

For us it is a regular minced meat, chopped potatoes and simmered onions mixed with Dijon mustard layered and some cream, put in an oven proof form sitting in the oven for an another hour, but I will need to sprinkle some chees on top of it in a little while though...

Hugs

Chelsea is going to a pot luck today and we are making a nice casserole.

Arborio rice with roasted yellow peppers, red peppers, eggplant, onion, and garlic, in a lemon sauce with thyme. Serve room temperature. You are supposed to dot with Feta cheese but she doesnt eat cheese so we are omitting that.

Now that sounds great as well... Getting hungry here...

Hugs

For us it is a regular minced meat, chopped potatoes and simmered onions mixed with Dijon mustard layered and some cream, put in an oven proof form sitting in the oven for an another hour, but I will need to sprinkle some chees on top of it in a little while though...

Hugs

Anna, now that sounds like something that will warm the bones.. Mmmm with the cream too.

Anna, now that sounds like something that will warm the bones.. Mmmm with the cream too.

Indeed it does, and it did and it was needed as it was freeeeezing outside today, the shallow snow cover hasn't given up just yet and will probably stay the night as well... So we enjoyed the warm dinner and some lit candles and some soft music... Oh and I emptied out the Aster cottage to clean things up as well while waiting for it to get done, all in all a good day's work LOL (And just uisng about a cup of cream and the low fat version... but it tastes heavenly mixed with the strong mustard...)

Hugs

Liver? We love it at our house. Pate, beef liver slabs or even calves liver somthered in onions and bacon. Chicken livers, yum I have a recipe for a chicken liver sauce that uses tomato paste as the other main ingredient, served over pasta with curves or twists so it clings to it................very rich but very yummy.

Think the only really gross thing we every just threw away after a few bites was this no sugar pineapple/chcolate cake recipe my husband found years ago. We both took a bite, spit out and then dumped it. We still laugh over that one.

Liver and Onions,, yummo! Haven't had that in a long time. Using calves liver or chicken livers.

Chopped liver, hmmm.. I'll have to go to foodnetwork.com and look up her recipe!

I've got chicken marsala simmering on the stove. I make it about once a month. Everyone loves it.

I buy the Holland House marsala wine at the grocery store, the recipe is on the bottle. I'll bet it would be good with liver too!!!

I don't think there is anything that would gross out my family. My kids will eat anything. They love brussel sprouts and lima beans. My ex used to eat fried blood pudding.. Yuck! Now that makes me dry heave. I remember the smell of it.. ugghhh.

I love liver and onions! My mom's family used to love to gross us out with Balut, it is a half hatched/fertilized goose egg that is soaked in salt. Ewwww...My cousin used to laugh when I was a kid becuase I would cry when he would pull the wings out. Boys are mean :D

I love saurkraut, chili, and cheese on hot dogs. No one in the house likes bell peppers which I love stuffed. :thumb:

Today I made my famous New England Clam Chowder which Doug loves! The first time I made it for him, he made a face, then dove into it like a man who had not eaten in months.....that was years ago.....now he's right under my feet when I make it!

Wolfie

My mom's family used to love to gross us out with Balut, it is a half hatched/fertilized goose egg that is soaked in salt. Ewwww...My cousin used to laugh when I was a kid becuase I would cry when he would pull the wings out. Boys are mean :wave:

Ewwwwww! I saw that on a couple travel shows..I think that bald guy that eats gross food around the world ate one.. You couldnt pay me.

There is a French canadian recipe served up here in Maine called creton. It's a pork and spice pate that tastes wonderful on toast. When you first see the stuff it can kind of put you off but once you try it you're sold. I grew up with it and has become one of my favorite foods. :wave:

I love liver and onions, but since we have two vegetarian kids and Lloyd doesn't like liver, I don't get it much. I hate to order it in a restaurant because it is never cooked the way I like it.

I also live chicken livers cooked with rice ... my mother used to make that a lot, a good Bohemian recipe.

WELLLL

how did it turn out???

I too am a liver and onion fan...

need to make me some...I bet Liver would be easier to get down than some meats I try to eat!

gotta get that protien!

nutti :)

It was really good. No one else would try it. I halved the recipe since it was only me and the cats got a nice treat of fried chicken livers. They were attacking me for more. Who knows if I will ever make it again? I wanted to just make it and say Yes, I can make that.