12/02 Good Manners

Minis On The Edge

:blink: To have a better view of the really nice cars?????? <_<

OK, sorry about that but that was my first thought when reading the question and hubby laughed at me when I blurted out why I were giggling

Hugs

to protect her from the splashes of passing carriages.

That, too. In towns in the Middle Ages houses were built so the second & subsequent storeys extended out over the first/ ground floors & servants/ housewives would empty the "slops" (dishwater, mopwater, chamber pot contents, etc) out the window into the street below. A gallant gentleman would protect his fair lady by walking on the outside, & a prudent one carried an umbrella to protect himself.

Apparently the middle of the street was a sewer, or so I've read. (Ew :blink: )

I had heard that it was what Holly & Carol responded, to protect the lady from dust, mud and grime being splashed by the horses or passing cars, or her skirts that is.

A similar custom when they danced in the ballroom, a gentleman always wore gloves so his bare hand would not touch a lady's bare shoulder or back, when they wore low necked ballgowns. This was considered good manners, especially if they were not betrothed or engaged to be married.

Another one I used to hear (now I'm telling my age-- :blink: ) is ladies only smoked on the lawn to 'keep the flies away' --it was also scandalous for a lady to smoke on the street. <_< We've come a long way since then! :blink:

Great Answers!

Back in 16th Century England, before homes had indoor plumbing chamber pots,

people had the habit of emptying these chamber pots by throwing them out of

upper-story windows of there homes into the gutters :blink: .

Men show there gallantry by taking the side nearest the road. That way, he

puts himself in the position to be "splashed" or worse <_< .

:blink: