Question about the MHM front porch post.

minnieme

I have read the instructions and I can't find this or maybe I am just missing something.

On the front porch there are 3-1"x1"x2 1/2" pillers that sits on the outside edges of the porch. On top of that piller is a piller cap, then on top of each cap there are 3 - 3/8" square posts that goes up to the top 3 piller caps then the arch of the porch sits on those 3 piller caps. My question is I can't find how long the 3/8" square post should be. Can anyone help me on this one?

hmmmm

I know my DH measured before cutting them...where he got his measurments from????

I wish this house was sitting where I could get to it.

the instructions are in the house.

keep looking in the instructions....I remember us doing this part and Im almost positive the measurement came from the book....but the instruction book to me was more than confusing on several steps....could be why this house sits neglected?

good luck....after we put ours together we noticed that the peices were weird looking...like warped...so I bought a package of porch post and used those instead.

keep us informed! and photos plzzzzz

nutti :p

Thank you.

I am glad to hear that someone else was confused with some of the instructions on this one. There are times that I have read and re-read several times and still am not sure what to do next. Then I just sit and look at the picuture on the front of the box and finally figure it out. DH said the best he can do is piece everything together and then measure the distance from there. I have found several pieces that have really large splinters or knot holes in them. Not sure if wood putty and glue will fix this or not. I will get picutures as soon as I can. I am still learning this board, so it might take me awhile to figure out how to post them. :p

I think one of the reasons this house sits is because of the directions....and because I am NOT good with measurements!

the other reason it sits is because it was suppose to be a father/daughter project and somehow has been left to me and I never wanted to build this one. oh sure its lovely BUT

I had already built a DuraCraft and I didnt care for it at ALL!

so it was under my protest that the kid and DH decided to buy this house.

it was a good deal....the last at our Hobby Lobby at 50% off.

Im hoping to do some work on it during Christmas Break...DH and the kid will be home together for 10 days....hey it could happen!

good luck with your house! one thing I do love about this house is the room sizes are really nice!

well all but the kitchen...and we took care of that issue with our 2 story addition.

nutti :p

I wish I had done some research on the DuraCraft houses before I got this one. I mentioned a few times that I would like to build a dollhouse and the next thing I knew on my birthday, my son and husband took me to Hobby Lobby and told me to pick one out. :p That was about 2 years ago I think, right before DuraCraft went out of business. I only wish I knew then what I know now about this kit. I started it right away, then I got really confused on the instructions and stopped. But now my son comes down on the weekends and my husband helps with the cutting and measuring, so we are get it, slow but sure. I looked at your pictures and I like how you added on the the kitchen and upstairs. The only changes I made was move the wall on the 3rd floor tower room over to the edge of the steps, and I am extending the floor over to the windows. :p

I'm almost at that point...I'm just finishing the electrical wiring and painting. But now I'm re-reading the instructions, and it seems like that measurement *is* missing. I guess taking your own measurements and doing the math is the only way--and it's too bad that I'm not very precise in my measurements! Well, I mean I usually round off to the nearest 1/8", unlike some pieces for the MHM that are listed in 5/16" or something :p I'll keep you updated if I have a revelation or something in the next few days.

Although your post did save me from making another mistake...somehow when I looked at the parts list for the trims, I got the long cut-out piece that is labelled Porch Post and thought that was what made the decorative pillars that are missing the measurements...instead of the three little 3/8" x 3/8" pieces. Not sure how I missed that, but I guess now I have more to paint before I put the porch together...maybe I'll start on the tower while I'm waiting for the paint to dry. Or shingling, there's always shingling to do... :p

Melissa

I thought it was missing, but like I said, I could have read it wrong. I am no good with measurements, thats where my son and husband comes in. But, my husband was trying to straighten a mistake on one of the 1" porch post and now they are 1/16" shorter then they should be. If I come up with a measurement soon I will come back here and post it. I don't know if I will get to it before the weekend or not.I am getting ready to do some painting on the inside. I want to go over the whole thing with a primer before I do anymore. I just can't decide what color to go with on the outside main part of the house. My husband and I met a man that does wiring on dollhouses and I think we are going to have him do the wiring on mine. I know I have no clue about how to do it, and my husband doesn't want to do something to mess it up.LOL He said he doesn't want it to burn down!! :p

I never thought I could electrify my dollhouse, but it was easier than I thought. Looking back, I wish I'd drawn out on the walls where I wanted the tape to go, because I ended up having *way* more junctions that I needed to, since I forgot about hooking up the different rooms to each other until the tape was already in place. But it's done now, and it works, and I guess wallpaper will cover my amateur job :) We'll see what happens when I hardwire my fixtures in (since my house is going to be from the 1860s, I don't want any outlets in the house).

I realized after writing to you that my porch measurements will be off, anyway, since I like the MHM porch but wanted fancier railings. So now I'm going to have to make the 1" posts taller to accomodate my higher (pre-assembled) railings. I hate math...my bashed kitchen ended up with the roof being 1/8" too short, so it doesn't meet the house and I had to fill the gap with wood putty (which got knocked loose when I pounded in the electrical junction nails). I almost wish I'd started with a small, cheap, throwaway dh so I could have learned these things *before* starting on my dream dh.

Good luck!

My DH is doing the wiring on Miss Catriona's house ....last yr about this time we finished the addition and the kitchen...

when I dig the house out of its hole I am going to paint all of the inside white....

the master bedroom and bath are next on the list for doing.

I also have flooring to put down on the first floor.

I look forward to seeing some photos ladies!

Heidi also is doing this house at the time and it looks wonderful!

if the kid would let me do what I want to it ...it would already be done!

she wants a modern look to the inside.

nutti :)

I wish I had started with something simpler too. Allot more simpler!!LOL

I spent most of the evening last night sanding, and still have more to do.

I was told by someone that wire tape is easier, but if you get a break in it you have to redo it all , is this true?

I still can't decide how to do my kitchen, it is so small, and I can't decide wheather to go older, or more modern. I like both when I see them.

I still can't decide how to do my kitchen, it is so small

this is why we now have a 2 story addition to this already HUGE house!

Catriona's house is bigger than my largest...The Granville...a shame the kid has bigger house!

I look forward to your photos!

nutti :)

As far as I know, if the tape breaks, you can just put a new piece of tape over it and put connectors (brads or eyelets) into either side, making a new junction. That should solve the problem...but I really can't see the tape breaking. It's held steady through my often awkward manipulations and rearranging, so unless it somehow degrades in the next 20 years, I think I'm safe :)

I think I'm going to tackle a farmhouse next...when I'm done with MHM...in quite a few years...

• 2 months later...

I know this discussion is old, but did anyone ever figure out how long the porch posts should be cut?

I'm at this part right now with my MHM and the instructions don't say how tall they should be.

:D

:)

• 9 years later...