Mckinley Updates

nuttiwebgal

I have updated my blog with some new photos...one is my new light Im so proud of.  sure am glad I keep hubby around.

nutti :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your hubby sure sounds like a keeper! And the lights look sooo good, well done even if it took some "words" to finally get there <_<

Looking forward to see what it wants you to do next...

Hugs

have made some more progress on my Mckinley.

it is harder and harder to phot the build and not show off the house.

but it is coming together. the next few days I will be doing the windows and trim.

nutti :lol:

PROBLEM SOLVING???

Our McKinley hasn't had much progress made lately.

First we now have to wait on a light fixture because one of them was bad. There's a post about this one in the Electrical forum (general)

We're waiting on some parts to put the windows in.

We're waiting on some kitchen cabinets from an eBay purchase that we still don't have though we finally DID hear from the seller a month after the sale, saying she'd put the wrong zip code on and the items came back. she's reshipping. Uh-huh. Christmas shipping should really speed that up some for us.

And then having worked on a lot of the exterior trim (because that's all she COULD work on) Melissa got bored and decided to paper the attic. While I was at work toady. Problem is, I haven't done any of the wiring in the attic yet. Something I pointed out to her after I got home.

And we have a gap on the right side where I didn't get the roof fully seated on the back side of the tower. I didn't notice this of course until after all the glue dried and I was putting on the siding. So now we're going to create some sort of book shelf (or SOMETHING) to fill up that space behind the tower in the attic so that light from the attic. (There will be light one way or another) won't shine out through my hole onto the real house wall and make the error noticeable. Because it's BEHIND the tower AND because of the roof overhang you can't really see it unless you're going out of your way to look for it. BUT, if I have light in the attic and it shines through then the problem would become obviously glaring. So we're just going to BUILD something to help block the light so that won't happen.

Now I could go on with many things to say about Microsoft too, but this isn't the proper forum for that particular rant. LOL!

Darrell (who is so far KIND OF surviving Christmas in retail)

• 2 weeks later...

I am not done with my Mckinley

but the girls decided it needed to be dressed and displayed on Christmas eve soo

here is a photo of it dressed for Christmas.

post-9-1135553390_thumb.jpg

I still have things left to do but isnt it nice when your vision comes to a reality?

its exactly how I pictured in my head... I still have more decorating and the windows and such but it sure looked nice sitting there last night.

the tree in the small bedroom came from the dollar store and is fiber optic!

runs on 2 AA batteries and is still working today!

LOVE IT!

nutti :)

not only did I dress the bed with my SIL help

I made the bed from a HOM kit.

The reason I broke down & bought a gluing jig was that tester bed kit! I tried everything else to get the legs to all hit the floor at the same time. Congratulations on a job very well done :)

Melissa blog entry made me feel guilty so I went in and added some more to my blog also.

will get back to work and finish the build part next week or so.

this was a great house to build. very straight forward directions and I love how it is made to hang on the walls.

nutti :D

• 1 month later...

Susanne, I just got started on my McKinley kit, we can commiserate together :) ! I am so grateful for the blogs! Whilst dry-fitting the center wall & floors I laid in the baseboards to mark where the wires go & notch the back of the center wall to accommodate them.

I put up some pics in the blog section.I have finished the porch, except for the shingles. I also finally did something to the attic space. Every idea I had for it failed, so for now am going with this one. It can be changed later, or not. Let me know what you think of it.

So far this house has been a little challinging for me to build,Darrell has not been able to assist me as much as I would like, but an enjoyable process. Hopefully I will be able to dedicate a little more time to it then I have in the past month.

Melissa

• 1 month later...

B) :D:):(:)

My house fell off the wall.

The thing you glue to the back to hang it, came off on one side. No serios damage as it only fell about a foot before landing on the top of the couch. No structural dammage. 2 broken pieces of furniture and 1 lost item. Everything sure bounced around in there. I do not know How I am going to hang it now. Will have to find an alternative or display it siting somewhere.

Melissa

So sorry to hear about the fall. I'm not familiar with this house, but could you use picture hanging gear?

Let us know how you resolve it.

Peggi

Did you use the reinforments that glues around the holes and also use BIG thick nails with those plastic thingy's that goes in the wall (can't remember what they are called). I am so sorry to hear about yours falling! I am going to look in your blog right now

Yes, we used the reinforcements. Big nails and all. But that was what came lose. ONE of the reinforcements came loose from the back of the house. It remained up on the nail. LOL! But when one side came loose the house did a violent swing to the right and slammed against the window casing which then put a torque on the house making that side come off as well and it feel another two feet or so to land on the top back of the sofa. The nails held just fine as they're in solid.

And there it still sits. Some of the trim was knocked off and some damage to some shingles on the bottom of the tower, (which was found behind/under the couch) and a couple of pieces of furniture inside the house was broken.

I think it may have come loose because we made the mistake of priming the entire house (including the back). At this point we didn't have the reinforcing pieces glued on. So, I think these parts should be glued on early while you're still gluing wood to wood and you should get a better bond.

And we have another plan too. We're going to put a couple of decorative type brackets DIRECTLY UNDER the house but not attached to it. The house can have a considerable weight, depending on all you add to it while building it so having support under it should decrease the strain on the hanging slots. And then even if it DOES come loose it has nowhere to fall.

Darrell